Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel physically and mentally tired so often. Mentally I feel OK but I've been better. My diet is reasonable, I do regular exercise, I just find myself tired so often. I just don't know what more I can do. I feel flat, lethargic, my eyes feel very tired and strained.

I do tend to feel down at this time of the year, when it's dark and miserable, and I have a light box for this, which can temporarily help things.

Has anyone any suggestions? What I could do?

I did start a new work placement 4-5 weeks ago, maybe I'm feeling anxious and it's having a draining effect on me. But I don't believe I have felt all that anxious really...

meh

ReputationRep:
    There's a medical term for when fatigue is chronic like that. I think it's called "chronic fatigue".

See a doctor, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor and hopefully they can help you.

I usually feel tired and go to bed between 9.30 and 10pm most nights. I asked my doctor but he didn't really seem to have a clue. He tested my thyroid gland and that was it. This week, I saw another doctor who said it could be basically anything. While overseas I even saw a doctor about it. He did a blood test, nothing showed up and then said 'nothing is wrong with you. Do sport and drink lots of water.' Yep, really healpful.

ReputationRep:
    You might have sleep apnoea, but I'd definitely say see a doctor to make sure Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What are your sleeping patterns like? How long do you sleep, and when; how consistent are you in keeping those times?
    Do you drink a lot of alcohol? Any other drugs?
    What's your exercise like, what do you do and how long? And what is a 'reasonable' diet?

Can't help you 'till you're more specific.

ReputationRep:
    Stress can have something to do with chronic fatigue, it's something to do with even when you sleep you're brain never really turns off, don't know if that helps, try to find time to relax a bit more maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I got tired and exhausted lots and after taking an iron suppliment I now fell much better, Im a vegetarian so that had an impact but i do recomend trying an iron suppliment. i did also research what had high iron quantities and there want many options apart from red meat (but you still needed 2 portions a day of it to give you the RDA!).
    xx

(Original post by Azer)
    What are your sleeping patterns like? How long do you sleep, and when; how consistent are you in keeping those times?
    Do you drink a lot of alcohol? Any other drugs?
    What's your exercise like, what do you do and how long? And what is a 'reasonable' diet?

Can't help you 'till you're more specific.
    My sleeping patterns are very settled, consistent, routine. I sleep for about 8hrs per night. I drink very little alcohol. I don't do any other drugs. I do cardio 3 times a week, HIIT and a couple of sessions of weights a week.

Meh, maybe it's my mindset and I need to learn how to relax a little/a lot more. I'm probably lacking confidence in my own ability in my new work surroundings, which is I guess is to be expected given that they are new and the nature of the work is new to me. I just find myself struggling to work well, concentrate and up my game because of how I'm feeling, physically and mentally....also wish my work superviser was more supportive of me and gave me some praise and encouragement once in a while...

Positive thing is that things can get better and hopefully do. Maybe I am lacking iron in my diet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My sleeping patterns are very settled, consistent, routine. I sleep for about 8hrs per night. I drink very little alcohol. I don't do any other drugs. I do cardio 3 times a week, HIIT and a couple of sessions of weights a week.

Meh, maybe it's my mindset and I need to learn how to relax a little/a lot more. I'm probably lacking confidence in my own ability in my new work surroundings, which is I guess is to be expected given that they are new and the nature of the work is new to me. I just find myself struggling to work well, concentrate and up my game because of how I'm feeling, physically and mentally....also wish my work superviser was more supportive of me and gave me some praise and encouragement once in a while...

Positive thing is that things can get better and hopefully do. Maybe I am lacking iron in my diet...
    Well, your lifestyle doesn't indicate that you should be suffering from insomnia.
    There are still a few things you can do which help, though:
    - Don't watch any monitors/listen to loud music/drink liquids for approx. 2 hours before bed
    - Don't use your bed for anything except sleeping, e.g. don't lie in.
    - Instead of doing 'weights' do full-body complex exercises like squats and deadlifts, such as in the Starting Strength program. In the period I did it, I was so destroyed afterwards I had no problem whatsoever sleeping.
    - Experiment with lighting, e.g. see if you sleep better with a slight bit of light in the room or dark etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose17)
    You might have sleep apnoea, but I'd definitely say see a doctor to make sure Good luck!
    How on earth could that be apnoea?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.