The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
Please don't say you applied for all those courses at UoM.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I think you're going to 'wow' them by using all your 5 choices at the same university. They might see it as positive that you are apparently very dedicated to studying at Manchester.
Reply 3
Aninja
Please don't say you applied for all those courses at UoM.

I haven't submitted it yet, but was thinking of doing so, why what's wrong with applying to them? Is it a no no or something?
Reply 4
Linweth
I haven't submitted it yet, but was thinking of doing so, why what's wrong with applying to them? Is it a no no or something?

It shows two things;

1) You really want to study there.
2) You're pretty uncertain of what you want to study. This will look bad on you.

Where is the backup plan?
If I were you I would apply for 2 courses there and then look at some other similar options and then at least one back up that you are bound to get into just in case.

Why not look at somewhere like Liverpool or Glasgow?
Reply 6
Aninja
It shows two things;

1) You really want to study there.
2) You're pretty uncertain of what you want to study. This will look bad on you.

Where is the backup plan?

Oh right I see. Well, I really don't want to travel out because I've tried that once and it overwhelmed me.
Reply 7
hardy_4_paws
If I were you I would apply for 2 courses there and then look at some other similar options and then at least one back up that you are bound to get into just in case.

Why not look at somewhere like Liverpool or Glasgow?

It's just that I have no desire for moving away again, otherwise I would be applying for more :frown:
Reply 8
Linweth
Oh right I see. Well, I really don't want to travel out because I've tried that once and it overwhelmed me.

What's the problem with living in halls? Money?
Reply 9
Aninja
What's the problem with living in halls? Money?

Mainly yeah.. :frown:
I tried looking for jobs so hard when in my last University but no luck and the lifestyle became really ****** because I hardly had any money to live off.
You should preferably, apply to several universities with similar or the same courses. I'm just thinking that way, your personal statement won't appear weak as it will be focused on one particular subject. That way, you can say why you want to study course X in more detail and tailor the personal statement to the course you want to study.
Reply 11
Nouvelle vague
You should preferably, apply to several universities with similar or the same courses. I'm just thinking that way, your personal statement won't appear weak as it will be focused on one particular subject. That way, you can say why you want to study course X in more detail and tailor the personal statement to the course you want to study.

Thank you, I really appreciate it :smile: I shall definitely look into that :biggrin:
Reply 12
Linweth
Mainly yeah.. :frown:
I tried looking for jobs so hard when in my last University but no luck and the lifestyle became really ****** because I hardly had any money to live off.

I'm no pro at finance considering I'm not even at university yet but did you seek out help from the university? Like for example,

UoM

What support is there for me if I don't get a scholarship or bursary but I find myself in financial difficulty?
UoM
The University has an Access to Learning Fund that helps students who are in financial difficulty. Any registered UK student can apply.
Every year more than two thousand students at The University of Manchester are helped with grants made from this fund.
Reply 13
Did you ask for financial support from your university in the past?
Reply 14
I'm slightly bemused as to how you're going to write a focused personal statement. You'll get in through showing a passion for what you study, and by showing your potential to do well - I think you should consider narrowing down the number of subjects you're applying for. Have you thought about applying maybe to Salford, Man Met or Liverpool?

Also, have you looked to see if there's a limit to the number of times you can apply to UoM? I know when I applied in 08, I was only allowed to send two applications to Edinburgh. Maybe there isn't one for Manchester, but make sure to check if you haven't.
Linweth
To be honest, you'd probably get accepted. Manchester aren't particularly unforgiving in that respect. That said, it is the most applied to university in the UK.
Reply 16
OhNO!
I'm slightly bemused as to how you're going to write a focused personal statement. You'll get in through showing a passion for what you study, and by showing your potential to do well - I think you should consider narrowing down the number of subjects you're applying for. Have you thought about applying maybe to Salford, Man Met or Liverpool?

Also, have you looked to see if there's a limit to the number of times you can apply to UoM? I know when I applied in 08, I was only allowed to send two applications to Edinburgh. Maybe there isn't one for Manchester, but make sure to check if you haven't.

I guess I could submit a few to Liverpool Uni as well just to broaden it out a bit. I don't really have the interest of applying to Salford / Man Met to be honest.

I'll also check to see if there is a limit now, thank you :smile:
Reply 17
Haha, know how you feel! I felt like doing that too but made myself just apply for the two at UoM because it is the course I want to study but I also adore Manchester.

It would be really difficult to tailor your PS to accommodate loads of subjects but I understand the desire to be in Manchester, same here!

Latest

Trending

Trending