Turn on thread page Beta

Weight Gain watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Most topics I've seen on here are all to do with weight loss etc fair enough but my question is how do you gain weight?

I've been going to gym for about 5 weeks now more or less and the issue really with my results is, not enough body mass.
    I have looked through some methods such as protein and "eat lots of protein chicken" yadah yadah yadah ... but really none seem to actually take much effect :woo:

Something that has however caught my eye are weight gain shakes?
    Not sure whether or not they work but most protein shakes are categorised under different things but the ones I have started to see are under; Weight Gain Formulas.

Furthermore I'd be glad to hear your opinions

ReputationRep:
    Eat more. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    your not going to see any results in 5 weeks lol, ditch the shakes, eat loads and cary on working hard in the gym

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Eat more. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. It's that simple.
    Eat more until the stomach explodes?

ReputationRep:
    You can't just eat more, everyone has their limit. You need to eat the right foods for weight gain. I know of someone who needed to gain weight to pass his Armed Forces medical. He went on a two-week binge of fast foods, milkshakes. He didn't eat in greater quantities, he just increased his intake of saturates tenfold. Cue weight gain. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for everybody. An ectomorph is going to encounter difficulties in gaining weight.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of forcing yourself to eat bigger meals, just snack throughout the day, and perhaps have 6 smaller meals. It's working for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    Instead of forcing yourself to eat bigger meals, just snack throughout the day, and perhaps have 6 smaller meals. It's working for me!
    And me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quads1992)
    your not going to see any results in 5 weeks lol, ditch the shakes, eat loads and cary on working hard in the gym
    wtf not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quads1992)
    The **** are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    lol, I'm a stupidly entrenched ectomorph....I tried a krispy kreme dozen every day for a month...on top of increasing food intake to almost constant eating levels....didn't gain weight....just became stupidly unfit

ReputationRep:
    if your anything like me and you struggle to gain weight then the solution is simple, eat more. if you think you eat alot, eat more, if you still dont gain weight eat even more.

when i first started going to the gym about 7months ago i was 6'5" 11 stone i am now sitting at around 14.5stone, ive been eating about 4500 calories each day. no joke.

edit: i also suggest reading up on proper weight training if you want to build muscle, have a look on bodybuilding.com

ReputationRep:
    Increase calorie intake to around 6k calories, do a full body routine 3 days a week, give it a few months and then say you havnt put on weight.

ReputationRep:
    Increase Protein and Carb intake by a considerable amount ideally 6 meals a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekiru)
    Most topics I've seen on here are all to do with weight loss etc fair enough but my question is how do you gain weight?

I've been going to gym for about 5 weeks now more or less and the issue really with my results is, not enough body mass.
    I have looked through some methods such as protein and "eat lots of protein chicken" yadah yadah yadah ... but really none seem to actually take much effect :woo:

Something that has however caught my eye are weight gain shakes?
    Not sure whether or not they work but most protein shakes are categorised under different things but the ones I have started to see are under; Weight Gain Formulas.

Furthermore I'd be glad to hear your opinions

You're not eating enough, show me your meal plan and I'll prove it to you. Forget abolut the damn protein shakes, you need to get your solid food game on.

ReputationRep:
    drink full fat milk.

Dirty bulk my friend

ReputationRep:
    Was going to suggest the same thing above, about drinking lots of milk.

Whats your typical daily diet like?

ReputationRep:
    I can't help much with the fitness side of things, but eat a lot of oil-rich, high fatty foods, such as avocado, nuts and seeds. They're high in fat, but low in saturated fat, so can help you put on weight healthily. Include a lot of olive oil in your diet, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    I can't help much with the fitness side of things, but eat a lot of oil-rich, high fatty foods, such as avocado, nuts and seeds. They're high in fat, but low in saturated fat, so can help you put on weight healthily. Include a lot of olive oil in your diet, too.
    Whilst the foods you mentioned are useful, I still find them rather irrelevant if the OP is ignoring the basics like chicken, lean beef and oily fish.

ReputationRep:
    As already said, if you're not gaining, you're not eating enough - its that simple

the amount of people I hear who say they eat loads, but still don't gain anything because of their "metabolism" - it sickens me

if you cant manage all the extra meals, you can be a pussy and stay skinny

GOMAD works well, also ive found washing all of my meals down with two scoops of oats and water adds the pounds

ReputationRep:
    Try building power, use more sets with low reps with more weight (i.e. roughly six reps).
    Another way is chest expansion (stretching the rib cage, this helps gain weight)
    You should do a superset with breathing squats (do these first) do sets of 20-25 and only take roughly 4-5 deep breaths.

Do a superset (back to back/immediately after) of 20-25 straight arm pullovers :
    1) Arms in the finished bench press position
    2) breathe in deep as your arms start to move backwards
    3) Until they are parallel to the floor directly behing your head
    4) and breathe out when you return to the starting position.

Take long rest in between (2-3 minutes)

Important:Try not to emphasize on the weight you are lifting but instead on your breathing and form!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.