Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently started the Oxford Brookes University in September but I absolutely hate it!!

I find the University very clickey, and don't like the course. As part of the course and the degree in general, 50% of the assessment is group work. I haven't got a problem with group work, but here, everyone in the group gets given the same mark. Do you think this is fair?

I have applied to KCL, Kent and The Essex University, but do you think I should just stick Brookes out (I really like Oxford) or move on somewhere where my course may be a lot better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheekeymonkey)
    I recently started the Oxford Brookes University in September but I absolutely hate it!!

I find the University very clickey, and don't like the course. As part of the course and the degree in general, 50% of the assessment is group work. I haven't got a problem with group work, but here, everyone in the group gets given the same mark. Do you think this is fair?

I have applied to KCL, Kent and The Essex University, but do you think I should just stick Brookes out (I really like Oxford) or move on somewhere where my course may be a lot better?
    Regarding the group work I would suggest finding people that are willing to work as hard as you are on the project, and are willing to share the workload, and sticking with them for all group assignments.

If you have applied for the same course at the universities you have mentioned there will be a chance that you won't like the course at your new university.

I think Oxford is an amazing place (hence my university choice), so I understand that it's an great place to study.

I would suggest sticking it out. You might find that you settle in after a year and begin to like the course more than you do now.

ReputationRep:
    Which University, Brookes or Oxford, and what are you going to study?

ReputationRep:

I think it's a horrible system, but it exists in loads of places, and if you weren't happy with it then you kinda should have actually looked at the course structure before you took up a place there :rolleyes:

That said, I do think Brookes is a lovely location, and Oxford is a beautiful city. I would stick it out.

ReputationRep:
    Which University, Brookes or Oxford, and what are you going to study?
    Law at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    well done! Thats awsome!

ReputationRep:

Oh no I have Oxford Brookes as one of my choices

Is it true its got quite a lot of stuck up people? Ive heard so many different people saying its cliquy and lots of stuck up people, but then ive heard other people saying its very diverse and lots of different personalities I dont know what to believe

What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    well done! Thats awsome!
    Thank you, and welcome to TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranbow99)

Is it true its got quite a lot of stuck up people? Ive heard so many different people saying its cliquy and lots of stuck up people, but then ive heard other people saying its very diverse and lots of different personalities I dont know what to believe

Sadly this is true. There is an awful lot of these types of people. But you don't have to know them if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    It can be clickey but I think other Universities can be the same. Cheney Student Village is very very clicky though, but I have met some nice people at Brookes, and on my course. I have been really disappointed with my course though, but your course may be different. I'm doing English Language, what course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    It can be clickey but I think other Universities can be the same. Cheney Student Village is very very clicky though, but I have met some nice people at Brookes, and on my course. I have been really disappointed with my course though, but your course may be different. I'm doing English Language, what course are you doing?
    Oh for sure, the rah population in Cheney is immense lol. I've met some diamonds at Brookes. Can't wait to get back tbh. Oh I'm doing Real Estate Management. I know quite a few people who are doing just English

quote me next time btw mate, so I know you're talking to me

ReputationRep:

can i ask what course you were studying there??
    i have applied and got an interview but i dont want to go there, as the accomodation was really poor in the campus.
    xx

ReputationRep:

I studied English and History at Brookes a few years ago. Whilst I remember participating in some assessed group work for History, I don't recall ever working in groups for English. Are you sure that 50% of your assessed work over the 3 year period consists of group work?

As an undergraduate at Brookes I hated English. I loved History though, and adored the city. If it wasn't for the fact that I was studying History I may have transferred to a different course. There is nothing worse than forcing yourself to spend countless hours engaging with a discipline that you don't you don't enjoy.

Have you tried joining any societies or sports clubs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey.)
    can i ask what course you were studying there??
    i have applied and got an interview but i dont want to go there, as the accomodation was really poor in the campus.
    xx
    what accommodation did you look at?

ReputationRep:
    its on the education campus, there about to redo it but that would be whilst i was there. Also the bathrooms were grimey and there was dust everywhere. Just wasnt the way to show your university accomodation off! I go to boarding school so im used to being away from home so no issues there and i have been through a boarding house refurbishment here, but what was there was pretty dire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey.)
    its on the education campus, there about to redo it but that would be whilst i was there. Also the bathrooms were grimey and there was dust everywhere. Just wasnt the way to show your university accomodation off! I go to boarding school so im used to being away from home so no issues there and i have been through a boarding house refurbishment here, but what was there was pretty dire.
    Lots of universities have crappy halls. The Westminster campus you are referring to has been around for many years and isn't exactly in the nicest part of Oxford. The university also has (practically) brand new halls situated at the main site. It's a real jumble. Unfortunately, new accommodation costs tens of millions of pounds (per part of campus), which some universities can't afford. I lived in crappy halls at Brookes (which were subsequently sold off and the cash injected into new build halls). The crappy halls didn't detract from the great time I had in them. In fact, all of us who lived in them have fond memories and look back with positive ridicule.

Edit: I lived beside the main campus and had friends/girlfriend that were training teachers but lived in halls with me and commuted. Could you do the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Lots of universities have crappy halls. The Westminster campus you are referring to has been around for many years and isn't exactly in the nicest part of Oxford. The university also has (practically) brand new halls situated at the main site. It's a real jumble. Unfortunately, new accommodation costs tens of millions of pounds (per part of campus), which some universities can't afford. I lived in crappy halls at Brookes (which were subsequently sold off and the cash injected into new build halls). The crappy halls didn't detract from the great time I had in them. In fact, all of us who lived in them have fond memories and look back with positive ridicule.

Edit: I lived beside the main campus and had friends/girlfriend that were training teachers but lived in halls with me and commuted. Could you do the same?
    You make it sound like you are trying to sell the accomodation to me.
    I personally just felt that they could have tried to tidy it up- Thick dust on surfaces of the open room area will not sell anything.

I could commute but if I get the choice of another university i will choose there, i liked the arangement of the campus just the accomodation was a big let down.

& I know how much money it costs to refurb things, I have lived in boarding houses with ceilings falling down. So I am used to it and i know the atmosphere would probably make it 100 times better, but also having to be in the campus when the refurb is taking place (i think actually they may be knocking them down and starting again) may make it very awkward and be very noisy at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey.)
    You make it sound like you are trying to sell the accomodation to me.
    I personally just felt that they could have tried to tidy it up- Thick dust on surfaces of the open room area will not sell anything.

I could commute but if I get the choice of another university i will choose there, i liked the arangement of the campus just the accomodation was a big let down.

& I know how much money it costs to refurb things, I have lived in boarding houses with ceilings falling down. So I am used to it and i know the atmosphere would probably make it 100 times better, but also having to be in the campus when the refurb is taking place (i think actually they may be knocking them down and starting again) may make it very awkward and be very noisy at times.
    I'm not trying to sell you anything. I have no care whether you go to Brookes or not. However, if you think that university buildings, including accommodation, are all going to be of a high standard then think again. All universities have dated, ugly and grotty buildings, from Oxford to Oxford Brookes. Many campuses are also undergoing development across the UK. It's naive to think otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranbow99)

Whats there to be stuck up about? Its just oxford brookes, not oxford

no offence of course : )

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes is either going to be my firm or insurance.
    This thread scares me!

ill have to come to an open day soon

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.