The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes

Scroll to see replies

The Boosh
Lots of universities have crappy halls. The Westminster campus you are referring to has been around for many years and isn't exactly in the nicest part of Oxford. The university also has (practically) brand new halls situated at the main site. It's a real jumble. Unfortunately, new accommodation costs tens of millions of pounds (per part of campus), which some universities can't afford. I lived in crappy halls at Brookes (which were subsequently sold off and the cash injected into new build halls). The crappy halls didn't detract from the great time I had in them. In fact, all of us who lived in them have fond memories and look back with positive ridicule.

Edit: I lived beside the main campus and had friends/girlfriend that were training teachers but lived in halls with me and commuted. Could you do the same?

Hello there, you appear to knowquite a lot about Brookes and the different campuses. I'm currently doing Real Estate Management at the main gypsy lane campus, where i have all my lectures. I have a friend coming over to stay next week as she has an interview at Harcourt Hill for primary teaching.

Just reading through your posts in this thread.. is it true that she would be looking at accomodation in the westminster campus. or is it normal to live in one of the main campus halls?? clive booth, warneford for example. (im in Cotuit but that's being knocked down next year)

Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 21
MrChem
Whats there to be stuck up about? Its just oxford brookes, not oxford :tongue:

no offence of course : )

This joke makes me an "arrogant kunt".

Awesome : )
Reply 22
I'm at Brookes and to be honest I absolutely love it. o.o
I am staying in one of the most expensive halls though - Clive Booth Ensuite. Which is fine to live in facilities wise and the SU Morals bar is right next to my halls so it's pretty darned awesome.
Though having seen and stayed in some of the cheaper halls in the time I've been there I can say they're not all that bad.
Cresent Halls is the cheapest of all the halls its clean and tidy the kitchen and dining area is nice, the bedrooms are big enough with a sink. But the shared facilities are fine - at least my boyfriend's flat's are. Admittedly its a U5 bus away from the main campus but I think its worth it if you need to save money.
Lasy Spencer Churchill halls are just OK - the rooms are big but they are very dull, you would need to make friends there or you will get very issolated very quickly. It's catered too and the meals arent even that great - so personally I would avoid those halls.
I've also stayed in Cheney which is pretty much the same as Clive Booth Ensuite (Room WisE) it has a 52 week contract. However the more welloff people tend to stay here so I guess thats were the rahs come into the picture.
I'm studying Computer Science and feel the staff are wonderful and there are a lot of support services etc. There's always something going on, its an easy walk to the city centre and I still believe you get a free bus pass in the first year if you stay in halls.
I find it fine there, my course isnt amazing but i expected it to be dull to start off with, as they dont expect everyone to have a scientific background.

Crescent FTW!
flugestuge
It is just Brookes, are you mistaking it for Oxford University. :confused:

i heard that brookes has the highest proportion of privately educated students in the country. and there is an awfully large rah society. jack wills and abercrombie is the uniform for chenayyyy darlings :eek3:
Reply 25
MalcomNewMoney84
i heard that brookes has the highest proportion of privately educated students in the country. and there is an awfully large rah society. jack wills and abercrombie is the uniform for chenayyyy darlings :eek3:

But once you get past all the rah and private school types, are the majority of students down-to-earth and friendly?
I dont want to be stuck in a hall with these types of people, ive been stuck at a school with half the students being like this haha :frown:
ranbow99
But once you get past all the rah and private school types, are the majority of students down-to-earth and friendly?
I dont want to be stuck in a hall with these types of people, ive been stuck at a school with half the students being like this haha :frown:

ahuh, yeah defo. I'm having a whale of a time!!
MalcomNewMoney84
Hello there, you appear to knowquite a lot about Brookes and the different campuses. I'm currently doing Real Estate Management at the main gypsy lane campus, where i have all my lectures. I have a friend coming over to stay next week as she has an interview at Harcourt Hill for primary teaching.

Just reading through your posts in this thread.. is it true that she would be looking at accomodation in the westminster campus. or is it normal to live in one of the main campus halls?? clive booth, warneford for example. (im in Cotuit but that's being knocked down next year)

I couldn't tell you the living patterns of those currently at Brookes, but in my day it was very common for halls to have a radical mix of students (nurses, engineers, teachers, arts students, biologists etc all under one roof). I was at Brookes when the university took over "Westminster College". Prior to the take over, the trainee teachers used to be based at the Wheately campus. However, there wasn't enough accommodation at Wheately for students studying at the campus, so many were spread across Oxford in different halls (if that makes sense... ?). I suspect that it is much more common today for trainee teachers to be based at Harcourt Hill (training teachers have more lectures than a lot of other subjects and so have to be on campus. Living on campus makes it easier during free periods etc) . However, if it's anything like my current university (Exeter) then students can apply to live at any halls.

Hope that helps.
The Boosh
I couldn't tell you the living patterns of those currently at Brookes, but in my day it was very common for halls to have a radical mix of students (nurses, engineers, teachers, arts students, biologists etc all under one roof). I was at Brookes when the university took over "Westminster College". Prior to the take over, the trainee teachers used to be based at the Wheately campus. However, there wasn't enough accommodation at Wheately for students studying at the campus, so many were spread across Oxford in different halls (if that makes sense... ?). I suspect that it is much more common today for trainee teachers to be based at Harcourt Hill (training teachers have more lectures than a lot of other subjects and so have to be on campus. Living on campus makes it easier during free periods etc) . However, if it's anything like my current university (Exeter) then students can apply to live at any halls.

Hope that helps.

yes it does, thanks a lot. ok so she'l be looking to live at Harcourt. Koolio. Cheers again.
Reply 29
MalcomNewMoney84
Oh for sure, the rah population in Cheney is immense lol. I've met some diamonds at Brookes. Can't wait to get back tbh. Oh I'm doing Real Estate Management. I know quite a few people who are doing just English :smile:

quote me next time btw mate, so I know you're talking to me :smile:

Are you in Cheney halls?! lol
cheekeymonkey
Are you in Cheney halls?! lol

ha, why do you ask? No actually, I'm not. I'm in Cotuit, which ironically is the most expensive hall at Brookes I believe, but that's irrelavant but amuses me somewhat when Cheney prats like to say how expensive it is for them etc.
MalcomNewMoney84
ha, why do you ask? No actually, I'm not. I'm in Cotuit, which ironically is the most expensive hall at Brookes I believe, but that's irrelavant but amuses me somewhat when Cheney prats like to say how expensive it is for them etc.

Wow, never saw Cotuit before. It looks like a frat house. :biggrin:

Whats it like?
TheLeprachaun
Wow, never saw Cotuit before. It looks like a frat house. :biggrin:

Whats it like?

well it's catered for a start. I would say the food is just above reasonable. The rooms are massive. They have a sink but no en suite. VERY good atmosphere, because it's such a small hall everyone knows each other so that' pretty cool. There's a games room with a tv, freeview box and pool table. It's a 10 min walk from the main campus. I personally love it. But unfortunately we're the last year to enjoy it as the building's behind the main one which you've just said looks rather nice (known as old house) are going to be knocked down. And the hall will cease to exist as of next year. What course you looking at doing btw mate?

edit: just seen your sig lol, so dw!
Okay this thread is scaring me slightly ... I should really start visiting universitives!

Is it really chummy and hooray henry then? And what's 'rah'? Although I've got a pretty good idea.
ranbow99
Oh no I have Oxford Brookes as one of my choices :frown:

Is it true its got quite a lot of stuck up people? Ive heard so many different people saying its cliquy and lots of stuck up people, but then ive heard other people saying its very diverse and lots of different personalities :frown: I dont know what to believe

What course are you doing?

I'm at Brookes and yes there are rah cliches but there are also lots of diverse people. You have to know where to look.

In short:

Cheney Halls - rah cliches

su bar and societies - diversity

Just put yourself out there, there's lots of great people and *****, you just have to realise that there's a good mix!
MalcomNewMoney84
well it's catered for a start. I would say the food is just above reasonable. The rooms are massive. They have a sink but no en suite. VERY good atmosphere, because it's such a small hall everyone knows each other so that' pretty cool. There's a games room with a tv, freeview box and pool table. It's a 10 min walk from the main campus. I personally love it. But unfortunately we're the last year to enjoy it as the building's behind the main one which you've just said looks rather nice (known as old house) are going to be knocked down. And the hall will cease to exist as of next year. What course you looking at doing btw mate?

Haha I've probably met you, I used to hang out with a lot of the Cotuit crew :P
The Harlequinn Mask
Haha I've probably met you, I used to hang out with a lot of the Cotuit crew :P

haha. i think i might know of you. i doubt you do know me though actually :wink: do you study history or something?
Reply 37
MalcomNewMoney84

Hey, random and nothing to do with this thread, but im starting brookes this year, but on year 2 of the real estate management course!! How did you find year 1 on it? I guess i'll meet all you year 2 people on the induction in freshers week!
matt1189
Hey, random and nothing to do with this thread, but im starting brookes this year, but on year 2 of the real estate management course!! How did you find year 1 on it? I guess i'll meet all you year 2 people on the induction in freshers week!

hah S'alrite man. My apologies for getting back to you so late.. I'm never on here these days.

I found year 1 to be absolutely banging! The hardest points for me personally were law and valuation. I found my economics module alright and barely went to any lectures because i did it at a-level and am pretty comfortable with it, but i do know that people that hadn't previously studied it found it quite tough-going. real estaters at brookes have terrific banter, and seem to out most nights regardless of 9am lectures lol. and pretty hardcore bunch, that work and play hard!!

Umm i can't imagine you would meet many 2nd years in freshers, seeing as we're already part of the course and that. well have fun dude.
Reply 39
MalcomNewMoney84
hah S'alrite man. My apologies for getting back to you so late.. I'm never on here these days.

I found year 1 to be absolutely banging! The hardest points for me personally were law and valuation. I found my economics module alright and barely went to any lectures because i did it at a-level and am pretty comfortable with it, but i do know that people that hadn't previously studied it found it quite tough-going. real estaters at brookes have terrific banter, and seem to out most nights regardless of 9am lectures lol. and pretty hardcore bunch, that work and play hard!!

Umm i can't imagine you would meet many 2nd years in freshers, seeing as we're already part of the course and that. well have fun dude.

Haha, sounds awesome! yeah i saw there's an induction on the monday to get timetables etc.. just assumed all real estaters would pick up timetables at the same time regardless of what years they're in! Right, back to packing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending