Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! ^_^
    Okay, so I'm starting English Literature A Level next year and the exam board my school uses is OCR. (But even if you used a different exam board, do tell which texts you studied as I assume they might be similar?)

If anyone here took that A Level, could you let me know which texts I am likely to study? I'm eager to start doing some reading to get a headstart.. (mainly because I have nothing to read at the moment!)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd check the OCR website, they will be more reliable than me; I'm not sure whether the same texts are on the syllabus for each year.
    I studied:
    Wuthering Heights (exam)
    Robert Frost (exam)
    TS Eliot (course work)
    God of Small Things, Knowledge of Angels (course work comparing the two)
    That was at AS

The Winter's Tale (exam)
    The Duchess of Malfi and John Donne (exam, comparing the two)
    The Catcher in the Rye, The Color Purple, Lawrence Ferlinghetti (coursework, comparing the three)

And that is for A2, which I'm doing at the moment.

English is fun fun fun

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR. Last year for the exam we studied Wuthering Heights and poems by Robert Frost, now we're doing Dr Faustus and Chaucer. For coursework I think the teachers just choose whatever they want, so if you want a headstart I suggest reading the classics - Bronte, Austen, maybe some George Orwell, anything good basically, even if you don't study them they will help you.

ReputationRep:
    I do OCR, for AS I studied:
    Wide Sargasso Sea w/ Carol Ann Duffy poems (coursework)
    A Streetcar Named Desire (coursework)
    Wilfred Owen (exam)
    The Great Gatsby (exam)

Now for A2, I'm studying:
    Othello (exam)
    The Rover w/ poems (Maybe John Dunne, not sure yet) - (exam)
    T.S. Eliot poems, Mrs. Dalloway & A Farewell To Arms (c/w)

But look here for all the options

ReputationRep:
    No idea what board I am but so far we've studied:
    The Handmaid's Tale
    Making History (play)
    Translations (Play)

ReputationRep:
    AS:
    The Great Gatsby
    Wordsworths poetry (exam)
    Wise Children
    Top Girls
    Dubliners (Coursework)

A2
    Othello
    Paradise Lost book 1
    Dr Faustaus (exam)
    Mrs Dalloway
    Heart of Darkness
    T.S Eliot poetry

Don't know what board but I really enjoy english!

ReputationRep:
    I did War last year for AS and studied a poem anthology for my exam, and then the other half was wider reading so you can choose, I did loads of that e.g Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

For my exam this year I don't think I actually have a set text, as its Love Through The Ages, so based on Wider Reading again. Although my teacher's haven't really explained what the exam consists of yet...that's not good!

For my AS Coursework I studied Journey's End & Accrington Pals. For A2 I'm doing Othello, Jane Eyre and Streetcar Named Desire Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    AS:
    The Great Gatsby - exam
    Wilfred Owen Poems - exam
    History Boys - Coursework # 1
    Translation (Brian Friel) and various Irish Poetry - Courswork #2

A-Level
    Othello - Exam
    Duchess of Malfi and John Donne's poetry - Exam, comparing the two
    The Go-Between (LP Hartley), An Inspector Calls (JB Priestley), Collected Poems (Phillip Larkin) - Coursework.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing A Level English Lit and really like it.

We are doing at AS:
    Much Ado about Nothing and The Rover for Coursework Unit.
    Howard's End and The Remains of The Day for Exam
    The Rattle Bag (poetry book) for Exam

If you like reading then its a very good course but it depends on the teacher. My teacher likes doing work in class and as a group so I rarely get essay or anything for homework just maybe to read a few chapters and then we do the essays in class.

Good Luck with your choices!

ReputationRep:
    AS....
    Enduring Love
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
    Rossetti Poems
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Then Hamlet & Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead for coursework

For A2 we're doing...
    Wuthering Heights
    The Pardoner's Tale
    Macbeth (exam)

Handmaid's Tale
    (coursework)

ReputationRep:
    My school does the OCR board.

At AS we did:
    Wilfred Owen Poems (exam)
    The Great Gatsby (exam)
    Comparison of Equus and The Crucible (coursework)
    Choice of Regeneration or Atonement (coursework)

I absolutely loved these texts, if you don't study these, i recommend them for a good read anyway (especially Gatsby <3) Worth reading atonement even if you watched the film...

At A2 I'm studying:
    Othello (exam)
    Comparison of Paradise Lost Book 1 & Dr Faustus (exam)
    The Gothic Genre - basically a comparison of a selection of novels and poetry (coursework)

ReputationRep:
    im on OCR and at the moment im doing Wuthering heights and Wordsworth for the exam and The history boys, Pygmalion and Educating Rita for coursework.

though there are around 6 different novels and 6 difference poets your teacher could pick for the exam. Wuthering heights is a bit hard going as its quite big but is good and wordsworth, i love, but takes awhile to get your head around. OCR have some really good novels and poets on their current course so whatever your teacher picks will be enjoyable (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttercuplizzy)
    im on OCR and at the moment im doing Wuthering heights and Wordsworth for the exam and The history boys, Pygmalion and Educating Rita for coursework.

though there are around 6 different novels and 6 difference poets your teacher could pick for the exam. Wuthering heights is a bit hard going as its quite big but is good and wordsworth, i love, but takes awhile to get your head around. OCR have some really good novels and poets on their current course so whatever your teacher picks will be enjoyable (hopefully)
    i did history boys for coursework at as and loved it, and rita for coursework at gcse, and i also loved it!
    those three together sound...just wow!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on CCEA but all the texts seem to be pretty similar

AS
    Antony & Cleopatra (c/w)
    Streetcar Named Desire and The Glass Menagerie (c/w but of a very different type that what you would expect for English Lit. It was creative, not analytical)
    Wuthering Heights (exam)
    Frost and Thomas poetry (exam)

A2
    King Lear and The Burial at Thebes (exam)
    The Pardoner's Tale (exam)
    The Butcher Boy (exam)
    Catcher in the Rye and The Scarlet Letter (exam)

it took me a long time to like English Lit. I hated it for all of AS and had every intention of dropping it until i did well in my exam, then decided i liked the texts we have studied so far for A2 (Lear, Thebes, Pardoner)
    if you liked it at GCSE then you will be grand. Personally I didn't find it much of a step up from GCSE compared to other subjects, but that might just be me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help guys! These texts all look really good, a lot of them I've already read, too, awesome! I'm so excited for starting a levels now, haha x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucefowls)
    i did history boys for coursework at as and loved it, and rita for coursework at gcse, and i also loved it!
    those three together sound...just wow!
    our coursework theme was education: the history boys being because its set in a school and educating rita and pygmalion because of the theme of education being a reformer.
    for history boys coursework we did a stand alone piece where we wrote a commentary on one scene. and the piece of coursework were doing at the moment is a comparison between Educating Rita and Pygmalion in the light of a comedic theory.
    I enjoy doing plays but hearing how some people are doing Atonement and T.S Elliot is making me sad.

ReputationRep:
    our coursework theme was education: the history boys being because its set in a school and educating rita and pygmalion because of the theme of education being a reformer.
    for history boys coursework we did a stand alone piece where we wrote a commentary on one scene. and the piece of coursework were doing at the moment is a comparison between Educating Rita and Pygmalion in the light of a comedic theory.
    I enjoy doing plays but hearing how some people are doing Atonement and T.S Elliot is making me sad.
    that history boys coursework sounds similar to mine.

what scene did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucefowls)
    that history boys coursework sounds similar to mine.

what scene did you do?
    i did the scene where the Headmaster is having a go at Irwin about the halacuast lesson. we weren't allowed to do any scenes we had do as practise essays which ruled out my favourite scene where the Headmaster sacks Hector so that sucked, but oh well.

I found it hard to write this coursework because i prefer writing about poetry and novels in exam essay as the essays are more structured but for this coursework it was litraly "heres your essay, write about what ever you want".

ReputationRep:
    i did the scene where the Headmaster is having a go at Irwin about the halacuast lesson. we weren't allowed to do any scenes we had do as practise essays which ruled out my favourite scene where the Headmaster sacks Hector so that sucked, but oh well.

I found it hard to write this coursework because i prefer writing about poetry and novels in exam essay as the essays are more structured but for this coursework it was litraly "heres your essay, write about what ever you want".
    i know what you mean. i find it harder to talk about plays aswell, as theres no real narrative/description. plus, history boys was hard when it came to analysing language, as it wasnt really "flowery," if you catch my drift...

ReputationRep:
    OCR is a rubbish exam board (in my veiw)

my mate does englit and she said its really hard (she got an A in englit gcse with OCR)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.