Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey...just wondering where we can discuss the Edexcel Chemistry 2010 Unit 1 paper...I haven't come across a thread so far...and its past 12!!!

ReputationRep:
    we can now.... i wana discuss it too

ReputationRep:
    For the first reagants one i put chlorine then in brackets i put (liquid). i dont know why i did it! Would i lose the mark? how many marks was it? what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be this year? June 2009 was (57/80) for an A and January 2009 was (53/80) for an A. However, both these papers were much easier than yesterdays paper so i think the grade boundary might go down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I so want to discuss this paper. How did everyone find it?

ReputationRep:
    It was sorta ok. I think i'll probably get a low A. I was sick during the exam however, so i probably didn't do as well as i could have because i couldn't concentrate.

Other than that, it was ok

ReputationRep:
    The reagents question was fairly easy, but there were some questions that weren't supposed to be there (mechanisms). This shocked me a little but i still knew the answer. What did you all draw for that question that asked you to collect a gas? I drew a downward displacement thing.

EDIT
    My Post in the other thread moved here

ReputationRep:
    the chloroethane question was hard..... drawing the mechanism was tough aswell, i thought i managed to do it okay until i realised i left the lone pair for the Br (in H-BR) out!!!
    Do you think they will knock of many marks for that?

ReputationRep:
    The reagents question was fairly easy, but there were some questions that weren't supposed to be there (mechanisms). This shocked me a little but i still knew the answer. What did you all draw for that question that asked you to collect a gas? I drew a downward displacement thing.
    I drew this sorta thing....
    Is that what u drew?

ReputationRep:
    I drew it with a gas syringe...but it was of a similar idea.

Overall, the exam wasn't toooo bad. I reckon I got a medium A or if the grade boundaries are very low, probably about 90.

What did everyone get for the enthalpy question with hexane? I got something like, 9614J for the first one and 2600kJmol-1 for the second.

What about everyone else? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i drew a gas syringe connected to a cornical flask..

ReputationRep:
    the multiple choice for NiSO3.... wen a voltage applied... whts the ansr for that? green to the negative or blue to neg and yellow involved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reem02)
    the multiple choice for NiSO3.... wen a voltage applied... whts the ansr for that? green to the negative or blue to neg and yellow involved?
    Yeah that one was just confusing...I just put down A randomly...:p:

ReputationRep:
    i wna know the answer ... i just hate not knowing somthing... lol
    btw is magnesium chloride soluble in water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992)
    I drew this sorta thing....
    Is that what u drew?

Yeah! thats what i drew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    I drew it with a gas syringe...but it was of a similar idea.

Overall, the exam wasn't toooo bad. I reckon I got a medium A or if the grade boundaries are very low, probably about 90.

What did everyone get for the enthalpy question with hexane? I got something like, 9614J for the first one and 2600kJmol-1 for the second.

What about everyone else? :eek:

:yep: I got 9614J and 26Kj Mol-1 for the second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajes)
    :yep: I got 9614J and 26Kj Mol-1 for the second.
    wooooooooooo that made my day.
    I'm pretty certain I got mid A atleast!

ReputationRep:
    I did bad, i completely got that enthalpy one wrong, so annoyed. I wish there was more questions on ionisation though. I reckon i got about 54/80, which is only like 67.5%, does anyone have a clue what grade that might be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny1312)
    I did bad, i completely got that enthalpy one wrong, so annoyed. I wish there was more questions on ionisation though. I reckon i got about 54/80, which is only like 67.5%, does anyone have a clue what grade that might be?
    That is probably a low A. Last year the grade boundaries were about 55/80 for an A and that was a much easier paper than the one we had yesterday. So yeah, be proud and happy! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    That is probably a low A. Last year the grade boundaries were about 55/80 for an A and that was a much easier paper than the one we had yesterday. So yeah, be proud and happy! :p:
    Oh thanks i hope so, i was just annoyed when i came out, because i thought i could do so much better. But if thats an A then i aren't too bothered . The previous papers that i did for mock's were much easier though

ReputationRep:
    I found the Sulphonic Acid (H3SNO3) one the most annoying. Especially the question "Why is Sulfonic acid a better descaler than HCL?"

I had no idea and wrote down "Because it isn't as corrosive"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.