Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I saw a mixed race girl and her mum today, mum was walking her home, and heard her say, 'I don't have any freinds'. Mum said 'I'm sure that's not true'. It was the first thing to elicit a tender response from me in ages. Shows how we are mired in a lot of false sentiment I guess.
    It made me want to engage and help.

ReputationRep:
    Songs I can relate to.

ReputationRep:
    My priest.

(He gives good sermons.)

ReputationRep:
    When people really try their best in something they believe in, despite ridicule etc.

(Original post by Double Agent)
    When people really try their best in something they believe in, despite ridicule etc.
    Can you give me an example? Cos isnt it kind to let them know if they are crap?

ReputationRep:
    Watch "The Road" only a few days ago, the scene with the black guy that stole there cart is horrible. The black guy gives up the cart and thinks its over but the dad forces him to remove all his clothes and put them in the cart.

ReputationRep:
    People who don't give a **** about the odds, fight hard and win.

Also, animal welfare and victims of accidents they couldn't have prevented.

People who genuinely care.

ReputationRep:
    Myself. Hahaha.

Eh..mainly sad movies - with a good moral. And good books. Little kids that are happily with their mums and dads :3

ReputationRep:
    That is awful for that poor girl, the worst thing in the world and what touches me, is people not being given a chance, such as in your story.

And I know alot of people will probably attempt to either ridicule me or try and argue with me for saying this, but I bet the reason she doesn't have friends is because she is "mixed race".

ReputationRep:
    People who fight for something

(Original post by LawIsBraw)
    That is awful for that poor girl, the worst thing in the world and what touches me, is people not being given a chance, such as in your story.

And I know alot of people will probably attempt to either ridicule me or try and argue with me for saying this, but I bet the reason she doesn't have friends is because she is "mixed race".
    Yes-It's because it's someone from outside your own experience, particularly if it's someone who isn't dislikeable.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how parents would so easily dismiss such a thing

ReputationRep:
    Understated generosity.

Unrequited love.

And my elderly, sweet English teacher who died alone and wasn't discovered for three days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes-It's because it's someone from outside your own experience, particularly if it's someone who isn't dislikeable.
    Yes but in the world we supposedly live in right now, there isn't really anyone "outside" of our own experience. Everywhere you go, especially in cities, you see different people with roots from all over the world.

And another thing, if she were an American girl, or "white" then she would generally be accepted, or at least have a much, much higher chance of being so than the mixed race.

But ah well, I guess life has some narrow-minded, don't stray away from home retards.

ReputationRep:
    A few months ago I got on a train and I saw a young guy(probably teenager) in a baseball cap and tracksuit trousers. I immediately judged him.
    Then I noticed he was communicating with a young boy opposite him using sign language. The boy was deaf, the teenager wasn't. The teenager was making him laugh.

I thought that was good and I felt bad for judging him.

(Original post by Reflexive)
    Mine are/were like that. I'm sure it's her mum's way of trying to toughen/encourage/not patronise her.

(Original post by LawIsBraw)
    Yes but in the world we supposedly live in right now, there isn't really anyone "outside" of our own experience. Everywhere you go, especially in cities, you see different people with roots from all over the world.

And another thing, if she were an American girl, or "white" then she would generally be accepted, or at least have a much, much higher chance of being so than the mixed race.

But ah well, I guess life has some narrow-minded, don't stray away from home retards.
    American? Why do you so say that? You think American girls are accepted in our schools...I guess they make sure they are huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    its true next minute the kid has committed suicide or something, they never seem to care. When i tell my parents i have no friends they don't give a monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    American? Why do you so say that? You think American girls are accepted in our schools...I guess they make sure they are huh?
    OK, you clearly lack the ability to construct a meaningful sentence...

I was using "American" as an example of a more similar origin to "British"

ReputationRep:
    Seeing someone really go from nothing to something, even though the odds are against them they still try.

And people falling in love... gahhhh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.