Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Terrified of ice skating, but I really want to do it! watch

ReputationRep:
    Help! I have been ice skating twice but I have never let go of the edge of the rink. I couldn't for the life of me get the hang of moving forwards without dragging myself along the side, and I am absolutely, irrationally afraid of falling over I really want to be able to ice skate as a lot of my friends go regularly and i can't go with them!

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The idea is just to move yourself away a little at a time. Push yourself in one big step, so that to get back to the edge takes at least one step again. That way, you'll hopefully find it just as much effort to return to the edge as to continue.

Also, a point to note - the ice at the edge is worn down by many, many other people like yourself. Get away from it, and the ice is both smoother and safer.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll give it a go

ReputationRep:
    I was ice skating today but i can skate thankfully lol. If im teaching a friend or a kid i get them to go round the edge once holding on .. whatever . I then get them to hold my hand with there outside arm and hold on with the other, maybe do this till your confident so maybe a friend could hold your hand? Then try just holding the wall with one hand or holding just your friends hand, still going round the edge and so on untill you feel comfortable to let go! also ask someone who works at the ice rink if you could have a chair on the ice to practice. If you hold the chairs back rest and have like the actual seat part facing forward.. and this will help also

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have this problem, I just try to build up the confidence the longer I'm on the ice. Last time I went I had one friend either side of me pushing/pulling me along, it looked ridiculous but helped my confidence a lot more! I'd absolutely LOVE to be able to ice skate properly, but I have a fear of ice as well as falling over/losing my fingers/getting cut, so it's going to take a lot of willpower to be able to do it solo.
    Good luck with your quest

ReputationRep:
    maybe if you try roller blading that will help because is the same principle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    also ask someone who works at the ice rink if you could have a chair on the ice to practice. If you hold the chairs back rest and have like the actual seat part facing forward.. and this will help also
    They have specifically designed metal thingies to help kids in the states, yeah sort of like the back of a chair, I can't help but think what an awful idea it is. Firstly if you fall forwards (as people often do on ****** figure skates) you'll smash your face on it - not nice. There's also the fact I've never seen anyone using one of these skating aids and actually skating properly, it just enforces extremely poor technique. All in all I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this. Asking a friend if you can hold their hand is probably the best way and gradually go faster - ask them to give you feedback so you're actually skating properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    They have specifically designed metal thingies to help kids in the states, yeah sort of like the back of a chair, I can't help but think what an awful idea it is. Firstly if you fall forwards (as people often do on ****** figure skates) you'll smash your face on it - not nice. There's also the fact I've never seen anyone using one of these skating aids and actually skating properly, it just enforces extremely poor technique. All in all I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this. Asking a friend if you can hold their hand is probably the best way and gradually go faster - ask them to give you feedback so you're actually skating properly.
    how will you smash your face on it? if someone sits on the chair.. or if you put a weight on it (sorry i didnt mention this before) and then you kind of push them along. How would you fall forward and hit your face off the chair? You wont fall forward.. thats the whole idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    how will you smash your face on it? if someone sits on the chair.. or if you put a weight on it (sorry i didnt mention this before) and then you kind of push them along. How would you fall forward and hit your face off the chair? You wont fall forward.. thats the whole idea
    Indeed you didn't mention the weight, which in fact probably makes it even more dangerous because when you fall it won't move away from you as fast, increasing the likelihood you'd hit it.

As for how you fall forward...notice I mentioned ****** figure skates? They have a retarded spiky bit on the front which makes it pretty damn easy to trip forward when you're learning, or even if you're pretty experienced. And given that pretty much all rink-hire skates are of the figure skate design this is a pretty common problem.

I notice you didn't address my point that such aids are also completely pointless because of how they encourage poor skating technique. So regardless of whether we agree on the danger of hitting your face, they're still pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed you didn't mention the weight, which in fact probably makes it even more dangerous because when you fall it won't move away from you as fast, increasing the likelihood you'd hit it.

As for how you fall forward...notice I mentioned ****** figure skates? They have a retarded spiky bit on the front which makes it pretty damn easy to trip forward when you're learning, or even if you're pretty experienced. And given that pretty much all rink-hire skates are of the figure skate design this is a pretty common problem.

I notice you didn't address my point that such aids are also completely pointless because of how they encourage poor skating technique. So regardless of whether we agree on the danger of hitting your face, they're still pointless.
    Its called a toe pick and I have saw people learn to skate this way without a problem. Obviously alot of people go skating and learn poor skating technique just by learning themselves but not everyone wants to be a professional skater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    Its called a toe pick and I have saw people learn to skate this way without a problem. Obviously alot of people go skating and learn poor skating technique just by learning themselves but not everyone wants to be a professional skater.
    If you have ****** technique it's unlikely you'll ever get much better, you'll keep tripping, going slow and looking like an eejit, which is why I criticised your, not only dangerous, but completely pointless suggestion of using a chair.

ReputationRep:
    If you have ****** technique it's unlikely you'll ever get much better, you'll keep tripping, going slow and looking like an eejit, which is why I criticised your, not only dangerous, but completely pointless suggestion of using a chair.
    As i said before :lol: i have seen people learn to skate this way at first, just to get used to being on the ice, and then go on to learn perfectly fine I still dont see how its dangerous.. its place that way to it wont fall.. eg if you put a hurdle the wrong way it wont fall, so by putting weight on the chair you can get used to moving along the ice forwards instead of holding onto the side wall. Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion but i know that it does work so i think i am fighting a loosing battle arguing with you :yes: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it! If you fall over someone might go over your hands and chop your fingers off. I'm serious...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    As i said before :lol: i have seen people learn to skate this way at first, just to get used to being on the ice, and then go on to learn perfectly fine I still dont see how its dangerous.. its place that way to it wont fall.. eg if you put a hurdle the wrong way it wont fall, so by putting weight on the chair you can get used to moving along the ice forwards instead of holding onto the side wall. Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion but i know that it does work so i think i am fighting a loosing battle arguing with you :yes: :lol:
    Given I've never seen a beginner learn by pushing someone sitting on a chair, but I have seen the retarded skating aids kids in the US use and they are appalling and they are pretty similar. I also wonder whether you've actually seen someone learn by pushing someone else on a chair, ignoring the fact for a moment that I can't see any rink in the UK allowing you to do that at least the one near me definitely would not allow that, the beginner would need to be pushing pretty hard to make the chair move with someone sitting on it. Sure once it's in motion it might be ok but starting it off, wtf are you even thinking? It's such a retarded idea.

And yea hlaugh all you want, sorry for trying to help the OP without recommending something that might knock out their front teeth if they fall. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Given I've never seen a beginner learn by pushing someone sitting on a chair, but I have seen the retarded skating aids kids in the US use and they are appalling and they are pretty similar. I also wonder whether you've actually seen someone learn by pushing someone else on a chair, ignoring the fact for a moment that I can't see any rink in the UK allowing you to do that at least the one near me definitely would not allow that, the beginner would need to be pushing pretty hard to make the chair move with someone sitting on it. Sure once it's in motion it might be ok but starting it off, wtf are you even thinking? It's such a retarded idea.

And yea hlaugh all you want, sorry for trying to help the OP without recommending something that might knock out their front teeth if they fall. :rolleyes:
    Not my fault that I have seen it work I also gave the op the idea of building up confidence, first with the wall then with a friend. Try it, it does work :lol:

ReputationRep:
    When you fall over the fear will b e gone. It's honestly not that bad haha. Just a shock and a little bit of pain which you get over pretty fast (unless you have a really bad fall). Ice skating is so much fun! I used to do lessons and got pretty good Please don't let fear stop you!

ReputationRep:
    Just do it. Let go and hold on to a friend. You're going to fall over, but so did anyone who's ever learnt to skate. When you fall don't put your fingers on the ice, screw your hand up into a fist straight after impact.

Maybe it would help to walk on the ice in the skates a little as well, like normal walking. Then trying pushing a little with one foot and then the next. Also if you can get hold of some inline skates like someone said have a go on those (I used to skate in my living room when I was younger shhh).

You can do it. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    Oooh! I love ice skating! First off if your serious about it I suggest you get some skates, because hire skates are ****! They may be better if you have good ice (our ice is TERRIBLE!) but I'd advise skates. Ice hockey skates! Figure skates are fugly, apparently uncomfortable, and in all honesty figure skating is a complete joke anyway! Who wants to be a ponce on the ice?!! There's a big range of skates you can get also, some are quite cheap. I have CCM's, so I advise them. They're really comfy too. My friend has Bauers and hers always give her blisters. But I think it depends on the person, the skate, etc, shop around.

To ice skating, first off don't be afraid of falling. Easier said than done, I know. To get confidence why don't you and your friends try holding hands, hopefully they wont go too fast for you. My ex bf was a hockey player, I just skate and he went majooorr fast, and I've been skating for ages and I was not impressed with his speed. Pfft! Have some consideration! Anyhoo, if your friends are like this don't do it. Not if you can't leave the wall. If they're general skaters (or nice friends who will go at a considerable speed), and they hold your hands if you feel your going to fall, let go. It pisses me right off when I'm helping new skaters and they try and bring me down with them. I have a record of not falling so be polite and not bring people down. Holding hands will help you get confident. Now your balance. You need to be balanced to be able to ice skate. Try not to worry about it too much, don't look at your feet and don't look behind. Just look ahead, I guess. Balance and confidence come two and two together and in my opinion are pretty important to be able to skate. You need to learn where to lean your weight, and I think it depends on the skate you have. Also if you make sure your blades are sharp...

As for technical points, I have none. Just skate. KEEP AWAY FROM THE WALL! Wall huggers will never leave the wall. You will never learn to skate if you remain on the wall. So leave it. If you fall you fall. If you're going at a slow pace, which you probably will be being new, you wont really be hurt. The worst I've done is further effed up my bad knee. Lol one time a friend skated over a friends finger, that was funny, a few years back - that wont happen though. That was a once in a lifetime event. Oh and as someone said it wont chop your finger off. The worst will be a cut. If they're hire skates you wont feel it. Don't worry.

Practise makes perfect. OH! Play tag! You forget everything when you do, all your fears and just go wild. When I played tag it was the bestest fun on the ice that I've ever had. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    Not my fault that I have seen it work I also gave the op the idea of building up confidence, first with the wall then with a friend. Try it, it does work :lol:
    Yeah I bet you've seen it work. :rolleyes: Like how you ignored my point about how much force it would take for a beginner to actually push someone in a chair along making it completely infeasible. Or the fact that no rink in the country would allow that. Your idea is so ******* retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I bet you've seen it work. :rolleyes: Like how you ignored my point about how much force it would take for a beginner to actually push someone in a chair along making it completely infeasible. Or the fact that no rink in the country would allow that. Your idea is so ******* retarded.
    Are you saying a strong beginner skater cant push a chair with some weight along ice? Or are you talking about like a 5 year old? :lol: Its not retarded :woo: Come to scotland and you might see it done

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.