The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LC_x
Are you saying a strong beginner skater cant push a chair with some weight along ice? Or are you talking about like a 5 year old? :lol: Its not retarded :woo: Come to scotland and you might see it done :wink:

No. I'm saying pretty much no beginner skater would be able to. You would need to really push on the ice and frankly beginners would not be able to do that without slipping. Anyway, enough of this, you're clearly full of ********. No rink would allow it. It's stupidly dangerous, and even if they were allowed they a) wouldn't be able to push the chair with someone in and b) they'd get such a ****** up skating style from even trying.
Reply 21
Sabertooth
No. I'm saying pretty much no beginner skater would be able to. You would need to really push on the ice and frankly beginners would not be able to do that without slipping. Anyway, enough of this, you're clearly full of ********. No rink would allow it. It's stupidly dangerous, and even if they were allowed they a) wouldn't be able to push the chair with someone in and b) they'd get such a ****** up skating style from even trying.

The rink in the leisure centre I work in allows it :lol: come see :wink: Stop saying things like the rink wouldnt allow it when you clearly havent been to all rinks :o: Iv saw it work and thats that :lol:
LC_x
The rink in the leisure centre I work in allows it :lol: come see :wink: Stop saying things like the rink wouldnt allow it when you clearly havent been to all rinks :o: Iv saw it work and thats that :lol:

I've been to quite a number of rinks in England and America, and I'm certain none of them would allow it. Maybe yours does, but who the **** cares because like I said a beginner just couldn't get the kind of friction needed to push someone in a chair. I repeat, you're talking utter ********. And dangerous ******** at that.
Reply 23
Sabertooth
I've been to quite a number of rinks in England and America, and I'm certain none of them would allow it. Maybe yours does, but who the **** cares because like I said a beginner just couldn't get the kind of friction needed to push someone in a chair. I repeat, you're talking utter ********. And dangerous ******** at that.

You obviously know everything dont you :wink:
Reply 24
The first time I went ice skating I was around 8 and went pretty much every week and hardly fell over, the worst being I fell on my butt a few times but got straight back up again with no injuries and carried on.

The last time I went ice skating was just before christmas. Let me set the scene: Hyde Park. Winter Wonderland. Outside icerink. Rain.

I was doing pretty well until a slippery part caught me by surprise and I just went straight down onto the ice face first. It all happened so fast. I don't remember much due to the mild concussion and shock but my friend says there was blood all over the ice. I had aabout a 2 inch gash just under my chin that I had about 4 stitches in. It hurt like hell but a sort of numb hurt like I had been punched in the face with ice. I now have a scar and the headaches stayed with me for a few days.

Happy skating!

In all seriousness though, yes it can be dangerous like most things can but it's quite rare. In almost 10 years of me skating that was the worst thing to happen and it wasn't even that bad. I just wont be skating outside in the rain again! If you fall just don't stick your chin out and land on it like I did!
Reply 25
My first time ice skating was on a trip to Canberra with my primary school. I had for a few years before that been rollerblading so I had the basics down pat, which helped a lot. The ice is a lot smoother then I had experienced which is why falling over is pretty easily done.

For the first few times as you get used to skating and the ice you should probably stay near the wall, though his can lead you to not be confident and learning to properly skate so eventually you have to take the leap and move without the wall (though stay near) or better yet have a friend and hold their hand. Also like others have said the ice will be smoother away from the while so while that can be tricky at first it does make movement a lot easier.

I have been ice skating on average about once or twice every 6 months and I've picked it up as soon as I hit the ice again, like riding a bike. Though OUCH my feet kill after, probably due to the hired skates.

Also at my local ice rank they have frames for those learning to skate basically just something to hold onto and skate behind. I haven't seen anyone fall over and hit their head on it yet.

My advice is just to be brave, have some confidence and know that EVERYONE at some point of another has fallen over on the ice - just keep all limbs tucked in when you do.

Latest