Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright here goes. At first I had no idea what I was going to do with my life lol, but after the years passed and I did my IGCSE exams I wasn't really worried about it cos I had not decided what I was going to do. I just open the books and went through em the day before each exam lol. I was really not worried. I ended up getting the following grades:
    Chemistry = A
    Physics= B
    English First Language= B
    Biology = C
    Maths = C
    ICT= E (lol messed up the practical really bad)
    Business = Dropped it after mocks cos it wasn't worth the hassle for me:p: All those long ass answers were really annoying me lol.

I was happy with my grades, and started with the current year, AS levels. I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths. I decided to become a doctor, because I've always liked helping people, but was still in doubt if that's what I REALLY wanted to

After a lot of thinking I have made up my mind, my one and ONLY ambition is to become a doctor. Then I focused more on my studies improved my effort but, I could have done better.
    I sat the Edexcel Paper 1 exams this month. I can guarantee that I have attained the following grades:
    Maths: A
    Chemistry: B
    Biology: B
    Physics: C

I don't plan on applying to medical school straight away. I wanted to do Bachelor of Science 4 year undergraduate program first. Therefore I am applying to a university for it, I am thinking of a university in Canada, or Australia.

Please fill me in on what you think are my chances? Should I do another year at school and get A2 predicted grades or should I apply for Bachelor of Science program at a Canadian university using the results I get from the Edexcel Paper 1 exams? I am thinking of UofT, UBC, UViC, or Waterloo from Canada, and ANU, USyd, or Melbourne from Australia. Please let me know what you think and feel free to give any advice. Also mention any universities you would recommend. Thanks.

Also if you are just gonna bash me or discourage me please don't bother replying. Have a great day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugotserved)
    Please fill me in on what you think are my chances?

Also if you are just gonna bash me or discourage me please don't bother replying. Have a great day.
    I don't really get what this thread is for - do you just want reassurance that you can do it rather than an honest appraisal?

ReputationRep:
    my only advice would be think of the money it is going to cost to go abroad then do GEM . If you have rich parents, though, and they are willing to pay then go for what ever is good for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I don't really get what this thread is for - do you just want reassurance that you can do it rather than an honest appraisal?
    Naaw lol I want your honest opinions on this. It was meant to be for people that just simply state you have no chance of doing medicine or blah blah blah. I can do anything if I put my heart into it, so replies like those are pretty useless and don't bother me at all, but I'd rather open up my thread and find replies stating honest opinions and what are my chances of getting into a good university, for a Bachelor of Science degree. I want to do a science program before I go into med school so I can have more knowledge about the area. So yeah what I need an opinion on is do I have to worry about my IG and AS grades if I apply to med, after doing the four year Bachelor of Science and doing it really well? I have made up my mind so my only focus is to become a doctor, that's what my mind is set on. Let me know if I should wait for my A2 levels and finish up before applying to a good university for the Bachelor of Science program. Thanks.

Also let me know if I'd be able to get into a good university in the UK for the same program. I wouldn't mind going to the UK.

(Original post by jp004303)
    I've applied to UBC Science but I haven't had a reply back yet.
    I think it's a good idea to try heading further afield, I just wish they would get back to me quicker (I applied in November) so I know where I might be in September! They courses over there are much more open ended and you can swap between things much easier than in the UK, which suits me just fine!
    I don't really know what kind of grades they look for, they're pretty vague on that if I'm honest, I heard that McGill (top Canadian uni in Montreal) is a bit like Oxbridge and they want all As for everyone, but I think it'll be lower for some of the others.
    When I applied, they required me to send my A2 predicted grades, GCSEs and my ASs so might be best waiting until you have all them.
    Only thing I would say is to shortlist your choices a bit, they don't have a UCAS style system over there and you have to pay an entrance fee to every uni, including housing it cost me about £75 for my UBC application, and I expect it'll be similar at the others, so it might be a bit of a costly affair!
    Thanks a lot for the info, really appreciate it. Money isn't the problem for me. It's just that I hadn't decided what I'd do until I came into AS lol. So now I am worrying about all the previous grades. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    my only advice would be think of the money it is going to cost to go abroad then do GEM . If you have rich parents, though, and they are willing to pay then go for what ever is good for you
    Money isn't the problem lol. I am just worried about my chances of getting into a good university with my AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    If you plan to do medicine through the GEP route in the UK, why not do your bachelors in the UK? Do you reckon you can get AAB if you dropped physics? Then you could apply directly for undergraduate medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    If you plan to do medicine through the GEP route in the UK, why not do your bachelors in the UK? Do you reckon you can get AAB if you dropped physics? Then you could apply directly for undergraduate medicine.
    I can definitely get AAB if I dropped physics next year. I have a couple of friends going to Canada and I got a few relatives there, so I prefer there more. I just wanted to know if I'd be able to get into a good university in Canada.

Would I have to present any IG or AS grades with full transcripts if I am applying to Med school after the 4 year science program?

ReputationRep:
    I can do anything if I put my heart into it,
    May I suggest the speshul olympics.

ReputationRep:
    I can definitely get AAB if I dropped physics next year. I have a couple of friends going to Canada and I got a few relatives there, so I prefer there more. I just wanted to know if I'd be able to get into a good university in Canada.

Would I have to present any IG or AS grades with full transcripts if I am applying to Med school after the 4 year science program?
    It depends on your degree programme and there is lots of competition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.