Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A few questions about training to be a paramedic watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'd really like to join the ambulance service.

I heard the 'old way' of working your way up now has gone and I need to get a paramedic science degree. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A Levels.

I got a drivers licence but I need a C1 and D1 drivers licence. Any idea how much roughly they cost? I heard it goes into £1,000+, is that true?

Anyone had a 'ride out' on an ambulance? How did you arrange it?

I know I need to do a fitness test, just how 'fit' do you need to be for this test?

Basically I'm looking for any help or tips to get me to where I want to be.

Any advice or help will be muchly appreciated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SpottySocks)
    Hey guys, I'd really like to join the ambulance service.

I heard the 'old way' of working your way up now has gone and I need to get a paramedic science degree. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A Levels.

I got a drivers licence but I need a C1 and D1 drivers licence. Any idea how much roughly they cost? I heard it goes into £1,000+, is that true?

Anyone had a 'ride out' on an ambulance? How did you arrange it?

I know I need to do a fitness test, just how 'fit' do you need to be for this test?

Basically I'm looking for any help or tips to get me to where I want to be.

Any advice or help will be muchly appreciated.
    Old way has changed not gone out all together. Instead you now either do it through university or by becoming employed as a student paramedic through a trust.

You only need C1 in England which can cost up to £1000 obviously will cost more if you have to retake. D1 is only required in Wales and Scotland and Scotland only do trust run paramedic courses.

Usually to do an observation shift on an ambulance you would need to be at least 18 years old and just try contacting your local ambulance station and see if they can sort it out for you.

As for the fitness test most unis don't require you to do one, trusts will however.

For more info look at the wiki link in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    Try looking at Paramediccareers.co.uk they have really good info there.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.