Turn on thread page Beta

Do we see ourselves the way other people see us? watch

Ok I like how I look in the mirror (sometimes) and have recorded myself (out of insecurity) walking to the end of the room and walking back again while trying to act as natural as I can. Overall Im happy with the way I look on the video BUT I know that guys think I look bad (never get male attention, was rated a string of 4's out of 10 for a facial attractiveness activity at college). Even my dad said he was nicer looking than me when he was younger, my mum replied 'you wern't that nice' and he said 'no im not aying i was but i was nicer then her'. He never makes comments like that about my sisters but then they get male attention. But anyway I don't know how I should see myself people say I have a good slim body and I have a tiny waist (24 inch) my sisters are both overweight.
    But yea I want to know is what we see on pics and videos of ourself how we look to other people? Or do we have distorted perceptions of ourselves even when viewing videos?

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think we see ourselves the way other people see us at all. Not visually or mentally. In fact every single person that you meet will probably see you in an entirely different way to someone else. You should tell your dad how you feel about those comments, they're not very nice for a dad to say but I dont think he means it as it come out and if he realised that they got to you he'd be very sorry. Anyway basically it doesn't matter what other people think - concentrate on liking yourself and making the most out of your life and what is good for you. You'll get a boyfriend when you get a boyfriend, dont rush it, it will happen. Also you look more attractive to other people when you're feeling confident so build up your confidence and the rest will fall into place

ReputationRep:
    I see myself as an arrogant sarcastic *******.

Others tend to agree,

ReputationRep:
    Have you read this? Its interesting but Im not sure if it applies to females http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0416011549.htm

ReputationRep:
    It's your introspection against others extrospection, neither will ever match!

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are very mean to you, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    It's your introspection against others extrospection, neither will ever match!
    you can see videos of yourself from an extrospection view though.

ReputationRep:
    I have an inflated ego, but even with that others treat me like royalty :cool:
    Who can blame them :dontknow:

Oh yeah :wink2:
    Some people think I'm a jackass though, don't know where they got that from :shock:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    'you wern't that nice' and he said 'no im not aying i was but i was nicer then her'.
    Sorry, but that was hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I see myself as an arrogant sarcastic *******.

Others tend to agree,
    Hahaha, good one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    you can see videos of yourself from an extrospection view though.
    Yes, but it boils down to how they view themself introspectively, as they aren't watching videos of themself the entire time, that i know of. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ceiling mirror

ReputationRep:
    fantastic thread sir
    I think in some ways we see ourselves the way others do. Usually when our vices or virtues are more obvious, for instance it would be obvious that if we were to stop on a road to help someone who has broken down, it would obviously be a kind thing to do. Smaller things, such as not making eye contact or something like that can really mean a lot to people, which you may not realise, but it can change some peoples view of each other. I think you have to be very perceptive in order to pick these things up anyway. I guess those who can are usually much better in social situations?

im very insecure too..i find it difficult to believe a guy if he says im attractive mainly cuz when i look at pics i look ugly.

(Original post by Fynch101)
    fantastic thread sir
    I think in some ways we see ourselves the way others do. Usually when our vices or virtues are more obvious, for instance it would be obvious that if we were to stop on a road to help someone who has broken down, it would obviously be a kind thing to do. Smaller things, such as not making eye contact or something like that can really mean a lot to people, which you may not realise, but it can change some peoples view of each other. I think you have to be very perceptive in order to pick these things up anyway. I guess those who can are usually much better in social situations?
    The thing is I know I don't make enough eye contact when people are talking to me i'l glance at their eyes then stare down at an object pretending to think. I think this gives off the impression that I disagree with what they are saying. Im not sure how you are supposed to go about eye contact because you can't just constantly stare at them while they are talking.

ReputationRep:
    i HATE my own voice.. if i ever listen to playback of my own voice, i actually cringe... not sure if that what others think or not though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimface!)
    i HATE my own voice.. if i ever listen to playback of my own voice, i actually cringe... not sure if that what others think or not though
    Shut the **** up

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, it is much more common to have either a more positive or negative view of ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty harsh what your dad says about you, if it upsets you (as it would me) i would speak to him about it- that can hardly be making you feel any better! But no, people deffinitly don't percieve you how you percieve youself mentally or physically. I was told at work the other week that I came across really confident and looked two years older to my actual age. I'm 17 btw and I was told i looked and came across as 19. And I felt so nervous and anxious that day for different reasons I couldn't believe it when she said I was coming over confident! You've got to start believing in yourself though and loving who you are... And I wouldn't worry about not having male attention... there's plenty of time to get some I don't get much male attention either but i know i'm not ugly or unattractive I just haven't found the right person who IS attracted to me yet. Keep cool with it all... and try be more positive about yourself-even though I know it's hard as I'm trying to be more positive atm and I am awful at it lol :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.