Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim cabbie in £13,000 ($21,000) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star Scream)
    The article does not mention that he gave the money back due to his religious beliefs, only that he did not accept a reward. If I gave someone their purse back, I probably would object to and would not expect a reward.

Morality is something which can exist outside of religion, you know. There are also plenty of Jews, Muslims and Christians who would take the money. Furthermore, there are plenty of non-believers who would return the money as well.
    The 28-year-old driver, from Bangladesh, said that as an observant Muslim he could not accept a reward offered by the grateful passenger.

ReputationRep:
    The article does not mention that he gave the money back due to his religious beliefs, only that he did not accept a reward. If I gave someone their purse back, I probably would object to and would not expect a reward.

Morality is something which can exist outside of religion, you know. There are also plenty of Jews, Muslims and Christians who would take the money. Furthermore, there are plenty of non-believers who would return the money as well.
    Agreed. It's all about morals. Nice to know there's still good in this world - tbh, it does seem like nothing good ever happens anymore because none of it's ever reported. Quite good that this was, really - probably since there's so much negativity at the moment.

Agreed. Usually when there is a negative news story (posted on here) about someone, where 'Muslim' is mentioned, there is suddenly a flood of objection.
    Haha, you could say that. Then again, he said himself "as an observant Muslim...". I think that's how they included the religion.
    For this example, his religion wasn't mentioned he's muslim btw because he didn't bring it into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timdecade)
    Yes, exactly what I said above. It only mentions that his religious beliefs apparently prevented him from accepting a reward, not actually returning the money in the first place.

Good deeds depend on the individual, not their religious leanings. Being a Muslim does not make one a good person. People who commit atrocities as Muslims are not good people.

I just think we should celebrate his good deed as something individual to him, as an obviously morally sound human being. I think the whole premise and hidden agenda of this thread is not to highlight his individual morality, but an attempt to promote Islam. This is demonstrated by how the original article did not have 'Muslim' in the title, yet the OP added it here.

And on the other side of the spectrum, I think articles regarding morally repugnant people who happen to be Muslims should focus on their individual flaws, rather than the fact that they are using Islam as a banner to commit horrific acts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.