Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, myself and the group of friends I will be moving into a house with next year have been giving a viewing by Accommodation Warehouse, and kinda liked the houses we seen. The guy was willing to offer us a contract then and there.

We have considered the Accommodation Fair, but worry that by that stage most of the good houses will be taken?

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with Accommodation Warehouse?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there - depends what year you're currently in and where you're curently living.
    If you're in your first year and in halls, Accom Warehouse SHOULD NOT be offering you a contract. You HAVE to go to the Accom Fair / direct to landlords on the day, or AFTER the fair only.
    If you're in first year and housed through the scheme or in a house with a landlord and are in any other year... This is ok, there is a loophole which allows current Scheme tenants, that is, those already housed with a landlord parktaking in the scheme, to view and sign contracts before the fair.

Weird I know, but thats the way it is...

ReputationRep:
    We're at the Lawns

ReputationRep:
    http://www.studentpad.co.uk/UserFile...ndbook2009.pdf

This is the handbook that the landlords must obey by... Page5....
    "Each year landlords agree NOT to let
    properties before the accommodation fair so
    that everyone gets a fair chance to look at all
    properties available and more importantly
    you do not need to stress out about
    accommodation during exam time."

The terms and conditions are stated here of what landlords agree to...
    http://www.studentpad.co.uk/Hull/lettingspolicy.asp
    This is the same every year with the dates changed accordingly. So landlords shouldnt be doing viewings or anything before the accomodation fair.
    I'd be warey if a company is very happy to break the rules so early. Seems like they obviously want to shift this house theyve showed you...

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Accommodation Warehouse. The houses are nice, but as a company they're a bit rubbish. If you complain about something they will take the longest possible time they can to fix it, for example, when we moved in we had no heating and they didn't replace the boiler until 2 months later because they were so reluctant to pay for the dame thing. They're not the worst of the bunch and I've signed up to be with them next year as well, but just keep in mind they they are slooooow. And if you like the house you have seen and are sure you want to get it, you may as well just sign for it.

ReputationRep:
    they are ****! complete snobs, never do their jobs, and if they do, they will take forever doing that. and if there is a scratch on anything, they will take your deposit away. useless company

ReputationRep:
    Another negative experience with Accommodation Warehouse. Repairs take forever or are just not done at all. They take a £200 non-returnable fee per person. All inclusive fee is a rip-off as bills would have been far cheaper and front romm is damp and smells terrible even with heating on most of time.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard they're ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanumber)
    Another negative experience with Accommodation Warehouse. Repairs take forever or are just not done at all. They take a £200 non-returnable fee per person. All inclusive fee is a rip-off as bills would have been far cheaper and front romm is damp and smells terrible even with heating on most of time.
    Did you nag them to get the work done? And do you know if this happened with anyone else?
    Me and some friends are contemplating signing with them because we saw a nice house today.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we nagged them, but then most landlords are pretty laid back about repairs. Apologies by the way, they charge £100 not £200. If you like the house, go for it. If it's off Newland Avenue that's the best part as all the shops, clubs etc are really close. The ends of the streets near Beverley Road aren't as convenient for shops or the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    Did you nag them to get the work done? And do you know if this happened with anyone else?
    Me and some friends are contemplating signing with them because we saw a nice house today.
    I would also have to constantly nag them, by physically going in to see them and sending emails. My housemates and I would sometimes purposely go in at different times throughout one day to make the same complaint so that they really got the message.

Sign with them by all means if you like the house, but bear in mind that you may have to be very persistent with them to get things done. Just hope you don't move in with broken central heating and have to wait 3 months for them to fix it

I was with AW for 2 years and they really did drive me round the bend sometimes, but I am having a much better experience so far with Longman Jones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . sav .)
    http://www.studentpad.co.uk/UserFile...ndbook2009.pdf

This is the handbook that the landlords must obey by... Page5....
    "Each year landlords agree NOT to let
    properties before the accommodation fair so
    that everyone gets a fair chance to look at all
    properties available and more importantly
    you do not need to stress out about
    accommodation during exam time."

The terms and conditions are stated here of what landlords agree to...
    http://www.studentpad.co.uk/Hull/lettingspolicy.asp
    This is the same every year with the dates changed accordingly. So landlords shouldnt be doing viewings or anything before the accomodation fair.
    I'd be warey if a company is very happy to break the rules so early. Seems like they obviously want to shift this house theyve showed you...
    ...not so sure all agents can be following this - my parents bought a house for me to live in at Hull, just off Newlands Ave, but I missed my grades and ended up elsewhere however, as I still want to go to Hull even if I wait til my masters they kept the house and are in the process of totally gutting it and putting everything in new

They've spoken to a very reputable agent (NOT the AW by the way) who say on the strength of the quality of what my folks are doing to the house they can likely get it "signed up" for 2012, even before the scheme/fair at Hull on 1st Feb. My folks have paid a fee to be in The Scheme but I think its an "extra" that agents offer rather than the "only thing" so it doesnt stop you renting it elsewhere and if someone goes direct to the agent before the fair and wants it I guess its better for the landlord to know they have someone sooner rather than later.

My Mum says there were students coming in to the agents office when she was asking about stuff and they were all already looking for next Aug/Sept. I think she still wants to be part of The Scheme though as it sounds like it the most professional way to deal with things properly so I might suggest she checks this "page 5" rule out in case she gets offered some tenants to sign up before the fair!

ReputationRep:
    They are honestly awful, i am moving in with them this year and already regretting it, houses are in **** condition, **** customer service and they are a rip off.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.