Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Academic info in sig: great, arrogant, appropriate..? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about people putting their academic info (gcses, a levels, ucas - though to a lesser level, that seems reasonable enough) in sigs? :confused: I know loads of people do it but I'd heard some people say they thought it was arrogant and inappropriate ... I was going to put mine in my sig but had second thoughts? I reckon it's probably great though and I'm always stalkerishly interested in seeing how other people are doing lol :yes:

(oh and not sure if this is posted in the right place: mods feel free to move it!)

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't....care.....less

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind except for when they show of their 100% AS module grades in each exam; like i have nothing better to do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think theres anything wrong with it, just put it in a spoiler so its no forced upon anyone, and they only have to see it if they want to know.

ReputationRep:
    It's a student forum, I don't mind, but I think putting your percentages in is arrogant. I don't put my grades in my sig because they're crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous0155)
    i dont mind except for when they show of their 100% AS module grades in each exam; like i have nothing better to do.

Academic Info:
    GCSEs
    A*AAAAABBBC

AS
    Maths A
    Geography B (154/200)

Physics B
    English C
    lol, i got 100% in that exam.
    (fo' reelz.)

ReputationRep:
    i think its great!! its better than wondering or then PMing them... and the spoilers are good stuff... if anyone doesn't wanna see the info, they can just not click the spoiler button.
    and you do admit you like reading people's sigs, so why complain.. and i don't think its arrogant..

ReputationRep:
    I love flicking through them!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I guess if they don't put too much. For example if they just put their uni applications or most recent exam level results. Not everything though...that's just pointless.

ReputationRep:
    dicks. definitely dicks :yep:

Its up to them, especially if they have worked really hard to achieve them (although grades aren't everything in life)

ReputationRep:
    It should all be in spoilers; I don't really give a **** what other people get frankly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    lol, i got 100% in that exam.
    (fo' reelz.)
    lol they asked for it in the economics thread

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right - hadn't thought about the spoilers as I have an illness which makes me click every single one, so it doesn't seem like they're there at all!! Personally, I love looking at them - just thought that I might give the opportunity to let people rant as that seems to be a high priority round here! xx

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me, although UCAS is definitely more understandable. Last year I liked seeing who had applied to the same courses as me. With grades, I suppose it helps if you start several threads about university/career related things as you don't need to keep typing it out.

ReputationRep:
    Put the grades if you want to. Don't base your actions on the opinions of others.. :no:
    The only annoying thing is when individual marks and %s are put down for every module :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    What do you think about people putting their academic info (gcses, a levels, ucas - though to a lesser level, that seems reasonable enough) in sigs? :confused: I know loads of people do it but I'd heard some people say they thought it was arrogant and inappropriate ... I was going to put mine in my sig but had second thoughts? I reckon it's probably great though and I'm always stalkerishly interested in seeing how other people are doing lol :yes:

(oh and not sure if this is posted in the right place: mods feel free to move it!)
    imo if you're going to put anything its best just to put the course and uni you want to attend, not the whole shibang with all the grades and everything, but hey, at the end of the day do whatever tf you like

ReputationRep:
    I like stalking other people to see what they've got, especially if they're applying to the same course/uni as me (yeah, I should really get a life :rolleyes:), so go for it :yy:

Wouldn't put mine in though! :p:

Edit: I think it's good to put UCAS in, because then you can talk to people that have applied to the same unis/courses as you.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair enough if you're posting in the applying to university type forums; it will help people give you advice and also means that other people applying to the same course as you can be more informed about 'the competition' - seeing other people with offers is quite useful, although it fuels my whole 'they haven't replied yet HELP' worries.

ReputationRep:
    A-level grades/GCSE grades are OK when accompanied with a UCAS application. It's helpful and interesting for other applicants to see.

If you're at university then a signature with the university name and the course you're studying is also helpful.

If you write your university though and then back it up with A-level module results it just makes you look like a bit of a prick. It's a signature; not a CV. Although, my GCSE and A-level grades are in my profile...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.