Turn on thread page Beta

Academic info in sig: great, arrogant, appropriate..? watch

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with them?? it is a student forum so its fitting. but %= a bit over the top, and if i knew how to make a spoiler thing id do it :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Bit unnecessary really. (And no, this doesn't mean I have crap grades).

Not absolutely all the academic info, that's just unnecessary. I enjoy reading them to see if anyone else has applied to the same course/uni as me, I might PM them if they have. It's arrogant if it's like "100 in 120 GCSEs, A* obviously and absolutely. 70 As at Advanced Subsidiary, unfortunately only 99% in Physics. 69 A*s at A2, Only got 89.5% in Classics, absolute flop, I cried myself to sleep."

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own.

It is a student forum so it isn't odd to see people dedicate their sigs to their academic achievements however I don't bother putting the whole shabang there because I don't think that high of myself. I have put some of it in my profile so it isn't all there for people to see.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the guy, forget who he is, who has his KS3 Sat scores in his spoiler :p:

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's spoilered and you're not shoving it in anyone's face, I can't see much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Couldn't....care.....less

Awesome sig

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't exact bother me. Although what does piss me off is when people put smileys next to all their Uni choices in their sig. I don't why, it just does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyappleie)
    whats wrong with them?? it is a student forum so its fitting. but %= a bit over the top, and if i knew how to make a spoiler thing id do it :facepalm:
    [ SPOILER ] Hello [ /SPOILER]

Don't put the spaces in

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hello

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    What do you think about people putting their academic info (gcses, a levels, ucas - though to a lesser level, that seems reasonable enough) in sigs? :confused: I know loads of people do it but I'd heard some people say they thought it was arrogant and inappropriate ... I was going to put mine in my sig but had second thoughts? I reckon it's probably great though and I'm always stalkerishly interested in seeing how other people are doing lol :yes:

(oh and not sure if this is posted in the right place: mods feel free to move it!)
    On a student based website? Of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right>Left)
    Awesome sig
    Thanks.
    Yours is .....interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should only write your GCSEs and A-Levels if you're applying to uni, and of course include your UCAS as well. That way, people can PM others about their courses, and prospective applicants can see the sort of academic standard that might be successful or unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    It's a student forum.

Have you forgotten that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    It's a student forum.

Have you forgotten that?
    I don't think it being a student forum means we all need to know how many UMS you got in D1. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoc77)
    i think its great!! its better than wondering or then PMing them... and the spoilers are good stuff... if anyone doesn't wanna see the info, they can just not click the spoiler button.
    and you do admit you like reading people's sigs, so why complain.. and i don't think its arrogant..
    Have you ever pmd someone for their grades? You may not think of it as arrogant to have it there, but I can understand why someone whos grades aren't as good as yours would think so

ReputationRep:
    but i like seeing people's ums marks/percentages!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyappleie)
    if i knew how to make a spoiler thing id do it :facepalm:
    Use the following tags, replacing { with [: {spoiler}This is in a spoiler{/spoiler} -->
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is in a spoiler

Back to the question in hand: I think it's reasonable on a student forum but, IMO, should be use with some thought. For example, unless you are about to enter KS3, KS2 SATs mean nothing. Once you're already at university, a line saying where you go and what you study seems more relevant than your GCSEs and A-levels. If you're a UCAS applicant or soon will be, it's quite helpful and saves having to retype the information when making a uni-related post (eg, "Which of these is the safest insurance choice?" - more able to answer if we know predicted grades.)

However, each to their own. If I see a uni student with their KS2 results in their signature, I certainly don't dedicate my time to thinking how arrogant they are.

ReputationRep:
    I don't put my grades in because I don't see the point. But they're in my profile if anyone cares. I put my university choices and course so that I can find people doing the same or going to the same place fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Have you ever pmd someone for their grades? You may not think of it as arrogant to have it there, but I can understand why someone whos grades aren't as good as yours would think so
    yes i have PMed people before!!!

p.s: my grades aren't good, i would've been accepted by cambridge if that was the case

(Original post by TheSownRose)
    Use the following tags, replacing { with [: {spoiler}This is in a spoiler{/spoiler} -->
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is in a spoiler

Little trick quote this to see what I did

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.