Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, all..
    I have an offer for Natural Sciences (Bio) from Cambridge. I would like to change to Education with Biology. Does anybody know wether this is possible? + when I should approach them ? - I obviously do not want to jeapordise my place (I've firmed it, it was an unconditional offer)
    Smiles

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    :s

ReputationRep:
    You can change course, I'm not too sure on the details, but I do know that it's possible..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    You can change course, I'm not too sure on the details, but I do know that it's possible..
    Thanks, mate... I'm not even sure I want to yet. I'm about 70/30 in favour of it. hmmm, we shall see. Congrats on your offer, I take it you're doing a modern language or another arts subject?

ReputationRep:
    did you guys with unconditional offers from cambridge take a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    First thing does your college accept education students? If not it would be more difficult to swap.

Also if you're not certain you could see how it goes for a bit because of the nature of the course I would have thought that they would be happy to take you a couple of weeks into term.

Or you could change after either one or two years of bio nat sci, it's not uncommon to change into education (I'm one of three [that I know of] that have changed into the 2nd year of education.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    First thing does your college accept education students? If not it would be more difficult to swap.

Also if you're not certain you could see how it goes for a bit because of the nature of the course I would have thought that they would be happy to take you a couple of weeks into term.

Or you could change after either one or two years of bio nat sci, it's not uncommon to change into education (I'm one of three [that I know of] that have changed into the 2nd year of education.)
    Thank you! My college does take education students, it's Churchill btw. Where are you at? Is the course really helpful if you want to become a teacher (like I do). The thing is though is that I want to become a headteacher and so will be looking to change tripos after part 1 to the management tripos.. so I'm a little concerned that there won't be enough Biology in the course for me to be able to teach.. but if I want to teach GCSE students will that matter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm VERY confused. Is it an easy thing to do to change before I get there. I really think that a bit of arts subject will do me well.. all of my A levels were Science and so the break would be nice!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    did you guys with unconditional offers from cambridge take a gap year?
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James2009)
    Thank you! My college does take education students, it's Churchill btw. Where are you at? Is the course really helpful if you want to become a teacher (like I do). The thing is though is that I want to become a headteacher and so will be looking to change tripos after part 1 to the management tripos.. so I'm a little concerned that there won't be enough Biology in the course for me to be able to teach.. but if I want to teach GCSE students will that matter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm VERY confused. Is it an easy thing to do to change before I get there. I really think that a bit of arts subject will do me well.. all of my A levels were Science and so the break would be nice!!!
    I'm at Caius. I don't want to be a teacher and the course dose not give you qualified teacher status, but yes the course would give you a greater knowledge of educational issues.

There will be enough biology in the course for you to able to teach, for example by the time I graduate I will have cover all of 2nd year physics.

I don't know how easy it would be to switch before you arrive. Have a look at the education faculty website and there are some reading lists on there so you can have a look at some books and see if it'll suit you.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.