Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    helloooo so my question is, i applied for finance last year, everything was sorted and stuff but i ended up not going to plymouth as planned. i didn't go at all, so i never received any finance.

problem is though, i am going to uni this september and so i'm gonna need to apply again. will it be a problem that i applied before, even though i never got a penny? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    helloooo so my question is, i applied for finance last year, everything was sorted and stuff but i ended up not going to plymouth as planned. i didn't go at all, so i never received any finance.

problem is though, i am going to uni this september and so i'm gonna need to apply again. will it be a problem that i applied before, even though i never got a penny? :/
    It shouldn't be, I'm in the same position. As long as your last application is cancelled then you should be able to apply exactly the same as last year (using the same login details as well, your customer reference number and whatnot), all should be fine and dandy. As fine and dandy as things can be with student finance, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem will be if your 2009/10 application is still 'live' on the system

You need to ring the Glasgow call centre (SFE's 0845 number) and tell them that you did not go in 2009/10 so the call centre can pass the information on and (hopefully) someone at Darlington can cancel the application off the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo_2009)
    The only problem will be if your 2009/10 application is still 'live' on the system

You need to ring the Glasgow call centre (SFE's 0845 number) and tell them that you did not go in 2009/10 so the call centre can pass the information on and (hopefully) someone at Darlington can cancel the application off the system.
    You do indeed need to call Glasgow, but they will then tell you to write a letter to Darlington asking it to be cancelled which will then take an excessively long time to process.
    I think it was that way round anyway.. ring someone who'll tell you to write to someone. Assuming it's not cancelled already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    You do indeed need to call Glasgow, but they will then tell you to write a letter to Darlington asking it to be cancelled which will then take an excessively long time to process.
    I think it was that way round anyway.. ring someone who'll tell you to write to someone. Assuming it's not cancelled already.
    Oh yeah, you are right - the call centre cannot actually process forms or any other changes to an application.

If that is the case then the quickest method (and cheaper as it will save an 0845 phone call) will be to download a 2009/10 'CO1 - Change of Circumstance form' and write in the notes section

'Please cancel my 2009/10 application as I did not enrol at the University of ######. I wish to apply for 2010/11 as a new student'

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_174306.pdf

Once an application is cancelled on the system a revised financial notification with loans and grants set to '£0' for 2009/10 will be printed and sent out (as this is how the automatically generated paperwork system works)

Once a student gets the 'nil funding' financial notification in the post a student will know that they are then OK to go on the system and apply for 2010/11 as a new student.

Another way would be to send the CO1 form and 2010/11 PN1 form all together at once and kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_183332.pdf

That is assuming that SFE's large and unwieldy processing unit can cope with two different things at once :lol:

ReputationRep:
    oh yay thanks everybody, can't believe i didn't think about doing this sooner!! thankyouuu for your help

ReputationRep:
    It's cool. You've still got plenty of time to sort it out now.

Just get on the case tomorrow and then sit back and relax satisfied that you have nothing else to do until September

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.