Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry if this thread is in the wrong place...

I want to study English at Durham.

I got 3A*s, 7As, 3Bs and a C at GCSE.
    For A level I got ABBCab, but I'm resitting the BBC and hope to improve a lot.

Are my grades good enough or will I be rejected outright?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'd say so if you resat.
    What did you get the grades in?

ReputationRep:
    A levels: English A, Geography B, History B, French C, General Studies a, Critical Thinking b.
    For GCSE I got A* in English and A in English Lit.
    I'm really worried my GCSEs will let me down =S

ReputationRep:
    in a word, no. My friend got rejected last year for English on the basis of results achieved in academic qualifications, and she had 6A*s and 5 As at GCSE and AAAB at AS.

ReputationRep:
    by tsr standards your grades are standard but i cant even dream for those grades (frustration i feel knowing that i could do well but all doors are welded shut).

ReputationRep:
    English at Durham is ridiculously competitive, it's a very risky choice.

That said, my friend has an offer for History (which I believe is equally competitive at Durham if not more so) with only a C at AS in History (not sure what his other grades were like). Another friend has an offer for Psychology with BBCC at AS, and another got a D in History (not sure what her other grades were like) and has an offer for Archaeology. So they can be quite lax sometimes :dontknow:

If you really love Durham then it's only one choice out of five, you may as well give it a shot and make sure you have a plan B. Or you could try calling/e-mailing and ask if you'd have a chance

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they will be good enough, but remember it isn't all just the grades. Your statement and reference count for a lot too, otherwise everyone with straight As would get in.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well go for it, but ive yet to meet a Durham English student who doesnt have mostly A*s at GCSE and all As at A Level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    English at Durham is ridiculously competitive, it's a very risky choice.

That said, my friend has an offer for History (which I believe is equally competitive at Durham if not more so) with only a C at AS in History (not sure what his other grades were like). Another friend has an offer for Psychology with BBCC at AS, and another got a D in History (not sure what her other grades were like) and has an offer for Archaeology. So they can be quite lax sometimes :dontknow:

If you really love Durham then it's only one choice out of five, you may as well give it a shot and make sure you have a plan B. Or you could try calling/e-mailing and ask if you'd have a chance
    An offer for History with a C in A Level History?! Perhaps he's predicted an A overall and that's all Durham saw, because that's unheard of...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Put it this way:

My brother got 4 As at AS and all A*/A at GCSE and he got rejected from Durham.

ReputationRep:
    if your re siting then i would say yeah
    grades aren't everything you know, good ref and personal statement goes a looong way

but remember Durham is very competitive and even people with 10 A*s and AAA get rejected =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sezzy2310)
    A levels: English A, Geography B, History B, French C, General Studies a, Critical Thinking b.
    For GCSE I got A* in English and A in English Lit.
    I'm really worried my GCSEs will let me down =S
    Ignore the below 6A* blah blah...
    I know loads that got in with 1A* plus, Durham are WAY more into YOU than what you can write on a test. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawee)
    An offer for History with a C in A Level History?! Perhaps he's predicted an A overall and that's all Durham saw, because that's unheard of...
    Well, he's in a college, so while he's not technically got the offer yet the department have deemed his grades worthy of a place and he's highly likely to receive an offer soon.

I agree with you - I'd have told him Durham was a waste of a choice personally. He had 5 A* at GCSE too, which is good, obviously, but my understanding was that Durham's History department like to see 8A*+. So yeah, I was pretty shocked, but good for him I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urkel)
    I asked this in another thread, but never got a response.

But can't you just put grades as pending?
    Which grades? If you mean completed AS levels, then if they've been cashed in (certificated) then no. If they're not, then yes you are supposed to put them as pending. You can tell whether they've been cashed in or not by whether or not your statement of results gives you an overall grade for the subject.

If you mean A2 levels which you haven't done yet and are taking this summer, then yeah put them as pending. Your teacher will then put your predicted grades on your references.

If you've completed and cashed in any grade (GCSE, AS or A Level) then unless you got a U grade then you have to declare it on the UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiling...Rain)
    Ignore the below 6A* blah blah...
    I know loads that got in with 1A* plus, Durham are WAY more into YOU than what you can write on a test. :eek3:
    You'd think, but some parts of their Admissions info gives quite a different idea.
    "For almost all courses we do not interview applicants because interviews are not an effective method of selecting between applicants and we believe the written submission is the most objective way of determining academic ability, merit and potential."
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/process/

That, and their GCSE standardisation thing which they use in most subjects now (or at least a significant number of them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoire)
    You'd think, but some parts of their Admissions info gives quite a different idea.
    "For almost all courses we do not interview applicants because interviews are not an effective method of selecting between applicants and we believe the written submission is the most objective way of determining academic ability, merit and potential."
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/process/

That, and their GCSE standardisation thing which they use in most subjects now (or at least a significant number of them).
    They really are though!
    I'm at Durham now, they're one of the few uni's that put your personal statement as a high priority, I know lots of English students who didn't have the best grades but just had something about them.

ReputationRep:
    you have a good chance. i say apply.
    i got offer at durham last year and i had no As at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiling...Rain)
    They really are though!
    I'm at Durham now, they're one of the few uni's that put your personal statement as a high priority, I know lots of English students who didn't have the best grades but just had something about them.
    Yeah when I went to the open day and spoke to the tutors there they did give the impression that they like to get very involved in the admissions process so they get who they think are the really best applicants, not necessarily just those who score most highly on numerical rankings etc

ReputationRep:
    English is really competitive so it's pretty hard to tell. I don't think the department has specific GCSE requirements though so if your personal statement is kick-ass you may still have a shot.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.