Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When is our generation? as in from what year to what year watch

ReputationRep:
    does anyone actually know? i always just assume our generation is generally like from 1988 - 1995 for some reason

or are we all just lumped under the 90s' kids group?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see generations in those terms, specifically. I was born in 1987 but my brother was born in 2004. We're the same generation.

ReputationRep:
    Technically speaking, it's roughly every 25 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't see generations in those terms, specifically. I was born in 1987 but my brother was born in 2004. We're the same generation.
    See, I was born in November 1990 and my brother in October 2002 and my friends seem to think that's a massive age gap, which I guess 11-12 years is. And we've all sort of agreed there's "half a generation" between us, even though I never thought of it like that previously. I guess it's just one of those things which has no real figures.

ReputationRep:
    i dont really know...i was born in 1992, but i think the people who are born in the 90's n 2000's are lumped more in the same generation. The only thing that has changed is the music and clothes X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    See, I was born in November 1990 and my brother in October 2002 and my friends seem to think that's a massive age gap, which I guess 11-12 years is. And we've all sort of agreed there's "half a generation" between us, even though I never thought of it like that previously. I guess it's just one of those things which has no real figures.
    Haha, yes. We both have the same mother (clearly), so in reality we're EXACTLY the same generation. However, I could've had a child of my own by the time my brother was born, theoretically. There's nothing definitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    It's weird to actually think of a generation in terms of from what year to what year, doesn't seem to make sense... i think it's just like a number of years.

To me anyway, people from their early - mid 20s' to like 14/15 year olds count as our 'generation', that's what i count it as

ReputationRep:
    A generation isn't a year or specified time period, it's a layer in a family. For example, my cousin's about twenty years older than me, but we're in the same generation because we're both one layer removed from our nearest common ancestor, our grandmother.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in 86, my brother in 82. A family friend born in 79 is technically the same generation.

So I would say for me, starting from '79, and if we are following the 25 year rule as noted above, then it would finish in 2004.

But I don't know if I could accept the idea that a 5/6 year old is in the same generation than me.

ReputationRep:
    We're Generation Y.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd guess people who are old enough to remember most of the 1990s would be in the same generation as me.

But this depends on who you class as being in 'your' generation.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this, I imagined it to be the mid 80s to early 90s or decade wise, as even 3 years is a lot of difference. Though thinking that kids born in the late 90s are technically the same generation is hard to accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Technically speaking, it's roughly every 25 years.
    Nope, every 33 years:cool:

ReputationRep:
    If you can clearly remember dial-up, you're generation Y.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.