Turn on thread page Beta

Ucas Mess!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a mess right now with pretty much everything university related. I'm in year 13 currently doing my A2s and I've applied to uni for 2010 entry cycle.

In October, I applied for Architecture and since I've been rejected from Edinburgh, rejected from UCL post interview and have received offers from Manchester, Nottingham & Westminster. However, I've totally changed my mind about studying Architecture and I'd now like to study History at university. I know I'm too late to anything about it now so I think I'm going to do something constructive whilst on my gap year and reapply in September.

However, as I won't be at college, who is supposed to write my academic references?? I'm hardly best buds with any of my teachers at college so I doubt they'd be nice enough to write me another reference again when I'm off galavanting next year.

I'm so confused and annoyed I'm in this situation and I don't understand how to approach the application process in September.

ReputationRep:
    My college kept my reference on file for a year just in case I needed it. I'm not sure all colleges do the same but it may be on a database or something so if you ask this time next year, someone should be able to give it to you.

Colleges do understand that people go on gap years and I think it would be in their interest to keep it on file rather than throw it away and then having to write another one.

ReputationRep:
    Get your guidance teacher/equivalent to do it for you?

ReputationRep:
    You could just explain your decision to your teachers and ask them to keep your reference on file for you.

Or apply via extra/clearing and send the unis you're interested in an alternative personal statement via email? I sent a late application after changing my mind about the course I wanted to do, so just rang the uni and asked if they would accept an emailed statement, and they were ok with it.

ReputationRep:
    Head of Sixth Form?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    you could also look into UCAS_Extra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellahead)
    My college kept my reference on file for a year just in case I needed it.
    The same happened at my school. I reapplied for 2010 entry this year and just rang my school and they let me apply through them again.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right I see, I will have to talk to my teachers then. My form tutor hates me because I don't ever go to tutorial and she rings up my house and I whenever I manage to pick up the phone, I quickly slam it down.

I can't apply through Extra or Clearing because the high calibre institutions usually give out all their offers in the regular cycle.

I'm just annoyed that I've let myself get into this situation when I've literally been planning my life since I was 12.

ReputationRep:
    Ucas sucks if you change your mind. I went through the same thing last year, and I suggest having a look at clearing or extra - there are sometimes surprisingly good unis there. Good luck - I know what you're going through !

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.