The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ajtiesto
I wish disasters like this would happen in rich nations, then people can feel the suffering that the poor go through in Africa, Asia, Haiti and other poor nations. People living in the west and rich nations in the east are doing very little to help the poor and take things for granted.

Omg please no, 2 inches of snow was on the news for long enough.
Reply 41
slightly off topic but is anybody else left feeling uncomfortable by the photos in Haiti? Sky news last night showed an open wound on a little girl :frown:
Reply 42
sheri234
slightly off topic but is anybody else left feeling uncomfortable by the photos in Haiti? Sky news last night showed an open wound on a little girl :frown:

Because it's a disaster...?:confused:
Reply 43
Jizkid Jnr
yeah some charities are disgraceful. No person who works for a charitable organisation should pay themselves bonuses etc

Why not, if some clever person can earn £100k+ working in the city you have to offer a decent salary to attract them to charity work. And you forget that some charities, RSPCA, RSPB, in particular, have more money than they know what to do with!
Reply 44
send it to my paypal account
Reply 45
Fusion
Why not?

Because I don't agree with the way charities (large ones in particular) are often run.

I, personally, would not give my money to a charity knowing full well that it might go on advertising/marketing or some other arbitrary cost. If I'm giving my money, it's because I want it to go directly to a cause, not to some attempt to make even more money.
I'm a strong believer that if people feel strongly enough about something, they'll find a charity on their own in this day and age, provided said charity has a small web presence. I don't agree with adverts and marketing asking people to donate, nor do I want to pay for them.
Rucklo
If the UK had an earthquake, you wouldn't see any other countries helping us.

Maybe that's because the UK is one of the richest countries in the world.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. Most people live in shacks that toppled almost immediately.
Reply 47
I wish I could save Haiti too, but its almost impossible. Even the people who are supposed to be there to protect the Haitians are killing them.

I read an article in 2009 about the UN going to Haiti and killing innocent women and children on the BBC website. It never made big news and I have no idea why. If you try to find it now, you can't. The stories been modified practically overnight (convenient much?) so now the UN killed some ganglords and their followers but the footage and pictures you can find in Hatian papers and websites say otherwise.

Its not the first time this has happened and it wasn't the last. Look up Cite Soleil, Port-au-Prince on the 6th July 2005. If you need some links, just say.

God bless all of you that want to help, but this world is very damaged. The only way you can ensure you do your part is by going there physically.

http://www.haitiaction.net/News/HIP/7_13_5/7_13_5.html
kik0
send it to my paypal account

too soon. have you seen whats happened?
Reply 49
A is for Awesome
Maybe that's because the UK is one of the richest countries in the world.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. Most people live in shacks that toppled almost immediately.

So? Just because we pay thousands of pounds in taxes to have those services doesn't mean anything..

If the UK was crippled no one would come help us, you wouldn't see India raising money to help the homeless.
Even if you can find a charity that sends 100% of the money you give them to Haiti, what makes you think for one moment that once the resources/money are there, the corrupt leaders won't just use them to line their pockets?

Countries like Haiti are a joke - completely unable to support themselves, and instead have to have billions of foriegn aid pumped into them just so they can maintain their status of third world country. Let's say you donate money, and let's say it actually saves someone's life. Great. Now that person has a load of children, and a few decades in the future this kind of thing happens again, only this time 5 of the children die because of it. And liberals want us to think that is a success?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not as heartless as to say that these people shouldn't get help from overseas, but I can't ignore the fact that it's all incredibly futile, and essentially a waste of money as long as the corrupt government and lack of intrastructure remain.
Reply 51
One thing thats really ******* off is how long the aid is getting there. The US, UK, EU etc are so quick to send their troops and drop bombs on countries when it comes to war but when people are most in need after a natural disaster they an eternity.
Rucklo
So? Just because we pay thousands of pounds in taxes to have those services doesn't mean anything..

If the UK was crippled no one would come help us, you wouldn't see India raising money to help the homeless.

We'd have enough money to help ourselves- are you dense?
Reply 53
Good Apollo
Even if you can find a charity that sends 100% of the money you give them to Haiti, what makes you think for one moment that once the resources/money are there, the corrupt leaders won't just use them to line their pockets?

Countries like Haiti are a joke - completely unable to support themselves, and instead have to have billions of foriegn aid pumped into them just so they can maintain their status of third world country. Let's say you donate money, and let's say it actually saves someone's life. Great. Now that person has a load of children, and a few decades in the future this kind of thing happens again, only this time 5 of the children die because of it. And liberals want us to think that is a success?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not as heartless as to say that these people shouldn't get help from overseas, but I can't ignore the fact that it's all incredibly futile, and essentially a waste of money as long as the corrupt government and lack of intrastructure remain.

Well forgive me if i'm wrong but if there were no aid for the country, poverty would only worsen if its left in the state that its in now. I don't think when people are donating they think about the government, just simply thinking about the thousands of people who've got nothing now. Those children didn't choose to be born in a less economically developed country.
Reply 54
A is for Awesome
We'd have enough money to help ourselves- are you dense?

Exactly, just because they don't put by for these services does not mean they deserve it more.
Reply 55
Shelterbox?
Reply 56
Why is there never any good news from Haiti...
Reply 57
cpj1987
:yep: I wouldn't give money to a charity, and unfortunately, I can't give my time in this situation either!

If you type haiti into google the first site is UNICEF, i'm giving money to them as they say that all the money will got to haiti where over half the pop are under 21 but if they exceed their quota it will go towards underprivelaged children in another country so they can benefit
Reply 58
I too would like to donate a small sum, but I"m worried in case it doesnt actually get to those that need it!. I know that DEC are running an appeal, but like I said I cant be sure it will reach the Haitian people.
Yes cos it is very well known that the bourgeoisie really need to steal money from charities otherwise they wouldn't be able to build their multimillion pound mansions.

:sigh:

Latest

Trending

Trending