Turn on thread page Beta

Dress code for consultancy/banking interviews/assessment centres for WOMEN watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I need some help with this as I shall know over the next couple of days whether I have to go to one! Essentially am I required to wear a suit? I don't own one! Obviously I can buy something for the time being from Dorothy Perkins or some similar place but nice ones are all priced between 200-250 quid and I'm not spending that much on a whim/when I don't have much time and would much rather look at a later date when at an outlet shopping centre so I can get a better deal.

I was banking on being able to wear smart separates (of which I have many) but got a bit worried when I went for a test today at one of the firms (the dress code said 'CASUAL (jeans are appropriate)' and some of the girls came in black trouser suits anyway :/. Also I'm a firm believer in the fact that cheap tailoring...looks cheap so don't wanna go in wearing a crappy cut suit.

Plus I hate suits. I'm much rather wear a cute silk blouse, pencil skirt, tights and heels.

Anyway, please answer, I need more reason to procrastinate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Hello! I need some help with this as I shall know over the next couple of days whether I have to go to one! Essentially am I required to wear a suit? I don't own one! Obviously I can buy something for the time being from Dorothy Perkins or some similar place but nice ones are all priced between 200-250 quid and I'm not spending that much on a whim/when I don't have much time and would much rather look at a later date when at an outlet shopping centre so I can get a better deal.

I was banking on being able to wear smart separates (of which I have many) but got a bit worried when I went for a test today at one of the firms (the dress code said 'CASUAL (jeans are appropriate)' and some of the girls came in black trouser suits anyway :/. Also I'm a firm believer in the fact that cheap tailoring...looks cheap so don't wanna go in wearing a crappy cut suit.

Plus I hate suits. I'm much rather wear a cute silk blouse, pencil skirt, tights and heels.

Anyway, please answer, I need more reason to procrastinate.
    I can't see why that wouldn't be appropriate. Granted I've never actually been to one of these assessment days, but it sounds like the kind of occasion when being smart is a good idea if only to give off a good impression. I'd rather be over-dressed than under-dressed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for making me feel better. I keep thinking that if they reject me, they'll probably reject me because I'm not smart enough rather than because I wore something smart that wasn't a suit :rolleyes:. I'm hardly going in dressed like a hobo.

ReputationRep:
    If it said casual I'd probably go in black trousers but a smart jumper on top, or really smart jeans. But if it doesn't stipulate what dress, I'd go in a skirt suit. I hate trousers as I can never find ones in a decent length. I just went to DP and M&S to get a cheap skirt and matching jacket, and some nice shirts/blouses to wear until I have earnt enough to buy something decent. There's no point in wasting money. But otherwise, see it as an investment. If this is a career you want to follow, and you would usually wear a suit, invest in one. See if any of the shops (TM Lewin, etc) have sales still on or offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    If it said casual I'd probably go in black trousers but a smart jumper on top, or really smart jeans. But if it doesn't stipulate what dress, I'd go in a skirt suit. I hate trousers as I can never find ones in a decent length. I just went to DP and M&S to get a cheap skirt and matching jacket, and some nice shirts/blouses to wear until I have earnt enough to buy something decent. There's no point in wasting money. But otherwise, see it as an investment. If this is a career you want to follow, and you would usually wear a suit, invest in one. See if any of the shops (TM Lewin, etc) have sales still on or offers.
    Oh I'm quite happy to buy a nice suit!!! In fact I probably WILL over the next few weeks because I'm heading to Bicester and will be able to look in Brooks Brothers/Hobbs/Charles Tyrwhitt. I'm talking about for the time being :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm quite happy to buy a nice suit!!! In fact I probably WILL over the next few weeks because I'm heading to Bicester and will be able to look in Brooks Brothers/Hobbs/Charles Tyrwhitt. I'm talking about for the time being :p:
    I think what you have already is suitable for now then. I love the pencil skirt, blouse and heels look.

ReputationRep:
    question, do my arms need to be fully covered? ie are short sleeves ok?

ReputationRep:
    question, do my arms need to be fully covered? ie are short sleeves ok?
    Short sleeves are fine, but I wouldn't go sleeveless. At least, that's what my mum always says and she used to work in the city :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been in IB firms - I wore a (pencil dress) with a red cardi. Very professional and very chick.

I would suggest a pencil skirt with a lovely silk blouse or you can get amazing shirts from hawes and curtis or tm lewin. I personally prefer Hawes and Curtis - I am more into my dresses though.
    Next are having some amazing ones.

Suggestions:

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/tailoredlooks/7/1
    http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/tailoredlooks/7/2 - with a nice edgy blazer - the shirt looks a bit weird to me - perhaps it's buttoned up too high - I would leave a 3 buttons open but no flashing!
    http://www.oasis-stores.com/Stitched...uct/3470051801
    http://www.oasis-stores.com/Panelled...uct/3470051514 but I would wear cardis/blazers over the sleeveless/shortsleeved dresses.

You can opt for a very stylish bag to go with it as well.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the others - wear one of your pencil skirts & a nice blouse. I think this looks so much better than suits, and in the 2 years since I graduated and have been working (where I am meeting clients and giving presentations regularly) I can't remember a single time I've ever worn my suit!

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the advice!! I feel much calmer now :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.