Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On my old phones, you pressed the internet symbol and depending on signal, were put straight onto the internet and charged per minute/page.

I got an iPhone and know how to use internet in wifi zone, but not how to use internet at any other time. I'm on tesco but it comes up as O2?
    I know a few lads with iPhones who are constantly popping on the internet for this and that, how do they do it?

Thanksssss

ReputationRep:
    "Settings" >>> "General" >>> "Network" >>> "Enable 3G = ON"

Let me know if this worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt872)
    "Settings" >>> "General" >>> "Network" >>> "Enable 3G = ON"

Let me know if this worked.
    Sorry I didn't mention, it is on but still doesn't work; even when it says 3G on the little symbol thing next to signal. Sometimes this is a 'E' or just a small blue circle?

Any idea what these mean?
    Thaaanks anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    tesco doesnt have 3g coverage. Just because you could go on the internet with your old phone doesnt mean it was 3g. It could have been 2g. Try swapping to a different network, im sure you can get a better deal than tesco anyway, and have internet loaded in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizkid Jnr)
    tesco doesnt have 3g coverage. Just because you could go on the internet with your old phone doesnt mean it was 3g. It could have been 2g. Try swapping to a different network, im sure you can get a better deal than tesco anyway, and have internet loaded in.
    It must have, as the contract I'm on offers unlimited 3G internet for the first 12 months. Also, I wasn't suggesting the internet would be 3G on my old phone, just the method I used to access it.

Lastly, Tesco has the best deals for iPhone's on the market at the moment with my tarrif at £20 a month, £40 free credit and unlimited internet.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizkid Jnr)
    What a load of tosh. Tesco Mobile is just O2 with Tesco packaging!

(Original post by killerjane)
    It must have, as the contract I'm on offers unlimited 3G internet for the first 12 months. Also, I wasn't suggesting the internet would be 3G on my old phone, just the method I used to access it.

Lastly, Tesco has the best deals for iPhone's on the market at the moment with my tarrif at £20 a month, £40 free credit and unlimited internet.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
    How did you get the contract? I have looked online and can only see the PAYG options? Also what do you mean in your OP by it comes up as O2?

ReputationRep:
    what actually happens when you open up safari and try go to a webpage?

ReputationRep:
    The 'E' and the little blue circle indicate your iPhone is downloading data using Edge and GPRS, alternatives to 3G. Unless you can tell me what happens when you try to browse a webpage when not connected to Wi-Fi, I can't really help you anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Go into the store and ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    What a load of tosh. Tesco Mobile is just O2 with Tesco packaging!

How did you get the contract? I have looked online and can only see the PAYG options? Also what do you mean in your OP by it comes up as O2?
    Got the contract in store. They no longer show contracts on the website, just the Payg options.
    On my previous phones, it came up with 'Tesco' or 'Tesco Mobile'. Here it comes up with 'O2 uk'. Asking my technological genius of a mother (naaat), she said it was because Tesco uses O2 for the iPhone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt872)
    The 'E' and the little blue circle indicate your iPhone is downloading data using Edge and GPRS, alternatives to 3G. Unless you can tell me what happens when you try to browse a webpage when not connected to Wi-Fi, I can't really help you anymore.
    It says cannot connect to a data cellular network or something to the same effect. When I go on facebook it just says 'no internet connection'.

Euuurgh I might just go instore as I'm very disapointed. Internet isn't everything on a phone but the quality of the webpages is making me saaaad that I can't access them if and when

ReputationRep:
    I thought UK iphones could only be under contract on 02 and Orange now, with Vodafone aswell soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerjane)
    Got the contract in store. They no longer show contracts on the website, just the Payg options.
    On my previous phones, it came up with 'Tesco' or 'Tesco Mobile'. Here it comes up with 'O2 uk'. Asking my technological genius of a mother (naaat), she said it was because Tesco uses O2 for the iPhone?
    Ahh Okay, may have to pay a visit to a store soon then! Your mum may not be a technical genius :P but she is right, the whole of Tesco Mobile is a joint venture with O2... its using O2 network so the only thing you get different is the customer service and price plans (which as you said is super value for money!!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys
    I'm going to take it instore asap.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions I rang up and it was my Cellular Data Network information that wasn't right. They told me what to put in and now it works like a charm.
    Chheeeers again

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.