The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why?

Just....why?
Reply 2
thunder_chunky
Why?

Just....why?

Mostly I like the lifestyle of a stockbroker working in the city and working in an exciting fast paced environment...
Just talk to a careers adviser, it will probably be a degree around finance so economics or something similar
Reply 4
Last year, the average salary was around Β£100,000. But there are the people at the very top getting paid tens of millions of pounds, with bonuses on top.

But yeah, not sure what the wage is now after the crunch, I'm guessing its fallen significantly.
Reply 5
thunder_chunky
Why?

Just....why?

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its all about that dough#!!
Reply 6
You do know if you want to be rich there are better ways of going about it.
Marvin211
MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its all about that dough#!!

How shallow of you

econ1
Mostly I like the lifestyle of a stockbroker working in the city and working in an exciting fast paced environment...

You like the idea of being shallow and greedy?
Please don't.

Going into a career for money rarely ends well. Do something you love. I really fail to see how someone can have a genuine love of the actual job of a stockbroker. It's not necessarily fast-paced and exciting, it just involves a lot of shouting and putting in a lot of hours.
Reply 9
Apparently a Philosophy degree is good for stockbrokers.

But I think you'd be a fool to do what you think will get you lots of money instead of considering what you would actually like to do. You clearly only want to do it because you think you'll make lots of money. Truth is, if you don't have true ambition to get to the top, you won't.
You obviously don't know much about this. By most people in the city/at banks I dont think stockbroking is seen as fast paced and exciting. Youre just gonna be filling orders for people.

Google ICAP, work for them.
Reply 11
You've got to be registered with the LSE.
Watch "The pursuit of happyness".
looks like an easy job so why the need for top degrees?
Reply 14
econ1

You enjoy working 70-80 hours a week just because its in the city? Or do you just enjoy 70-80 hour working weeks?
Hmm. Expectation gap, much.

I don't know what your perception of stockbroking is...however you're certainly going down the wrong road.
Read this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Know-About-City-2009/dp/0955218632

Trading does not equal Sales, which is certainly not Broking.
cruciform
what about Imperial?

Predominantly, though certainly not exclusively:
LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick.
I know this is a old thread, but it has been getting plenty of views so thought I would post. This website has a section How to become a stockbroker in the U.K.

Hope it helps
I myself am a stockbroker. I work for an FCA regulated firm who is a member of the London Stock Exchange. There are a few myths regarding the role which I will elaborate on. Firstly, a degree isn't essential. I don't have a degree and started at 19 after doing a year in recruitment hence my less intensive sales experience got me the job. Some but not all firms require a degree so I would recommend one. As for the degree you choose, a financial one is seen as better but it's kind of irrelevant in a way as stockbroking is about sales so you just need to be able to learn financial information e.g. how different investments work (largely covered in the 3 exams). Secondly, the money. You'll start of as an opener or a 'sales executive/new business executive' as they call it. This role means you'll be cold calling all day to open accounts for the senior brokers until you've proven yourself to be worth the time and effort for the firm to pay for your brokers exams or alternatively fired. Whilst an opener, your pay will be diabolical. If you are good however, you'll be promoted quickly and the top brokers at my firm earn in excess of 250k a year without breaking sweat. Once you're done being an opener you'll be a junior broker where the exams come into play. Without these you aren't regulated, therefore worthless to the company. The 3 exams are: 1) Regulation and professional integrity, 2) Investment risk and taxation, 3) Derivatives OR securities OR private client advice. ONLY once you pass all three are you technically a stockbroker on 24k-30k a year. Then for the first 2 years you'll earn average money whilst you build your own client base (or your own openers). Once you've gone through that you'll earn big money. As for whether it's a stressful job? YES. You are constantly monitoring the charts for your clients and as for your hours. If its UK markets only then try 8am to 5.30pm mainly but newbies will be expected to stay later if they truly want to succeed. Hope this helps
This blog post has advice about what skills you need to become a stockbroker or trader, as well as how you can get firsthand experience of working in the sector to see if it's right for you. Check it out using the link below.

Career focus: work as a stockbroker / trader in banking

Latest