Turn on thread page Beta

How to become a stockbroker? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think you should need BUSINESS DEGREE and I think while learning in COLLEGE or UNIVERSITY you should do internship at LSE for having EXPERIENCE and do some courses of trading and have INFORMATION about the stockmarket and you should know how the STOCK MARKET works!!! and when you got the job at any BROKERAGE FIRM you will do and PRE-Training for few months I think
    and then you will be a stockbroker and yeah you must have timing and communication/good people SKILLS and making decision at a right time

I think this will make you an SUCCESSFULL STOCKBROKER

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with wanting money..?

ReputationRep:
    gracias puto

ReputationRep:
    Thunder_chunky. There are two types of people in the world. Those who are intelligent and those who aren't. Those of high intelligence know that money (although it isn't the most important thing) is a very, very important thing. Of course, I take it that you took a pointless degree and am now bitter and regretful, so you post on student pages like this saying ''how shallow'' and feeling the need to put down hard working, driven individuals to fill your empty, cheap soul. But for those who understand that they want to be able to look after there families by health insurance, put their future children in the best schools as well as bringing them up in a beautiful and safe city, then they, and only they, understand that you need money to do this. Not to mention the fact of how many arguments with your significant other half that you'll have (and yourself) when your struggling to pay the mortgage and have to sell your wives jewelry and your sofas. If your lame enough to explain and self delude yourself that all you need is friends and family, then I personally see that as very depressing as you will then, thus, never have to work a day in your life and can accept ''Minimal wage'' and never thrive. But good luck to you mate. I'm gonna go get rich being a stock broker then **** your wive as she wants a man who is driven and cares about his image. Fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Please don't.

Going into a career for money rarely ends well. Do something you love. I really fail to see how someone can have a genuine love of the actual job of a stockbroker. It's not necessarily fast-paced and exciting, it just involves a lot of shouting and putting in a lot of hours.
    Don't get me wrong, jobs like being a stock broker or an investment banker are not what I would want to do, but loving your job is overrated.

Only losers live for work, you're supposed to love your wife, your children, having sex, going on holiday.

You're supposed to hate your boss, see your coworkers as tossers and your job as a means to an end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrischris8282)
    Lol
    :lol: Ok snowflake, whatever you say.

ReputationRep:
    Thnaks for the information it was a quick and usefull insight. But i have a question if you don't mind answering. A few actually. Firstly, who would the cold calling pertain to? Would it be other buisnesses, low potential buyers or just dependant upon on the scale of the borkerage firm. Secondly. was there an average quota or time span this cold calling phase would last?
    (Original post by Citybroker)
    I myself am a stockbroker. I work for an FCA regulated firm who is a member of the London Stock Exchange. There are a few myths regarding the role which I will elaborate on. Firstly, a degree isn't essential. I don't have a degree and started at 19 after doing a year in recruitment hence my less intensive sales experience got me the job. Some but not all firms require a degree so I would recommend one. As for the degree you choose, a financial one is seen as better but it's kind of irrelevant in a way as stockbroking is about sales so you just need to be able to learn financial information e.g. how different investments work (largely covered in the 3 exams). Secondly, the money. You'll start of as an opener or a 'sales executive/new business executive' as they call it. This role means you'll be cold calling all day to open accounts for the senior brokers until you've proven yourself to be worth the time and effort for the firm to pay for your brokers exams or alternatively fired. Whilst an opener, your pay will be diabolical. If you are good however, you'll be promoted quickly and the top brokers at my firm earn in excess of 250k a year without breaking sweat. Once you're done being an opener you'll be a junior broker where the exams come into play. Without these you aren't regulated, therefore worthless to the company. The 3 exams are: 1) Regulation and professional integrity, 2) Investment risk and taxation, 3) Derivatives OR securities OR private client advice. ONLY once you pass all three are you technically a stockbroker on 24k-30k a year. Then for the first 2 years you'll earn average money whilst you build your own client base (or your own openers). Once you've gone through that you'll earn big money. As for whether it's a stressful job? YES. You are constantly monitoring the charts for your clients and as for your hours. If its UK markets only then try 8am to 5.30pm mainly but newbies will be expected to stay later if they truly want to succeed. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend going to uni? Just wondering if it could enhance your knowledge on business in general. Would it make much difference?

ReputationRep:
    Step 0: Sell your soul to the capitalist bourgeoise.

ReputationRep:
    A stockbroker is similar to an investment banker (right...?). I'm not sure about the exact answer, but I think career sites like CareerFear and iCould would have the answer. CareerFear, in particular, is what i use whenever I need career information (I'm a high school student thinking about what I want to do at Uni).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.