Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where do you buy your chicken? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I usually cook with fresh chicken at least 3-4 times a week. I've been buying it from iceland, and a pack of four is £3 (i think, it's been 4 weeks since I've shopped for myself :p: )
    Where do you get your chicken, and how much is it?
    Tesco and costcutter (run out quickly, but are pretty cheap i.e £2 for 2 breasts) are pretty close to me, a sainsburys is a bit further and I'm sure there is an Aldi or Lidl somewhere (I'm in coventry)
    Which is the best priced, do you think?
    I've always used chicken breasts, are the thighs better value?
    thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    fresh from the local butchers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I usually cook with fresh chicken at least 3-4 times a week. I've been buying it from iceland, and a pack of four is £3 (i think, it's been 4 weeks since I've shopped for myself :p: )
    Tesco and costcutter (run out quickly, but are pretty cheap i.e £2 for 2 breasts) are pretty close to me, a sainsburys is a bit further and I'm sure there is an Aldi or Lidl somewhere (I'm in coventry)
    thanks for any help

ok so i used to be adamant that i had to buy M+S oakham chicken...i believed it was the best etc etc etc...
    but since the gym is rightttt next door to lidl...and since i went to buy my gherkin fix from there...i decided to buy some meat from there...

and ill tell you what...the chicken was immense...really moist and tender...what your actually looking for...

people **** lidl off in this country...but what we dont remember is that in germany and alot of europe that it is the same rank as M+S..Waitrose etc...

x

ReputationRep:
    ASDA. Less fatty than that from the local butchers.

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys. Its the only local supermarket type thing we have. There is a tesco, but its quite a drive away.

ReputationRep:
    From the local butchers, along with other meats.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where i'm shopping. Waitrose, tesco, or sainsburys by and large - lots of waitrose chicken at the mo as they were doing 1kg packs of individually sealed chicken breasts for £7.

ReputationRep:
    Battery farmed chicken is very tender and doesn't have a distinct taste, that's why I buy cheap chicken. I only shop at Asda so that's where I get it from. I had a whole roast chicken from there the other week and it was awesome!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thanks for any help

Coventry rules all

I live right next to a Lidl (which, incidentally, is next to an Iceland), and there is one near T.G.I. Friday's, there is an Aldi near the Showcase cinema I think.

I always get mine from Tesco, simply cos I do my main shop there anyway, so it makes sense. I like the 3 for a tenner deal.

Try varying it a bit, chicken must get a little boring? What recipes have you got to share?

Also, I dislike thighs as they're more effort, depending on what you're cooking.

Jessica x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Battery farmed chicken is very tender and doesn't have a distinct taste, that's why I buy cheap chicken. I only shop at Asda so that's where I get it from. I had a whole roast chicken from there the other week and it was awesome!
    wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    wow
    It's totally unethical but I just like it better, sorry

ReputationRep:
    butchers is best for meat but its inconvenient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    It's totally unethical but I just like it better, sorry
    I have nothing against you. I "kind of" agree.
    but i don't think I can say the same for eddie :

or his friends:

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever buy chicken because it's hard to get hold of cheap free range stuff. Asda I found was appalling to find any free range meat at all, expensive or otherwise. I looked for ages only to find out the one small shelf was empty.
    Tescos, however, I was pleasantly surprised by. I got some big free range chicken breasts online and they were only £3/4 (whenever I looked in Morrisons the tiniest scraps were so expensive)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Coventry rules all

I live right next to a Lidl (which, incidentally, is next to an Iceland), and there is one near T.G.I. Friday's, there is an Aldi near the Showcase cinema I think.

I always get mine from Tesco, simply cos I do my main shop there anyway, so it makes sense. I like the 3 for a tenner deal.

Try varying it a bit, chicken must get a little boring? What recipes have you got to share?

Also, I dislike thighs as they're more effort, depending on what you're cooking.

Jessica x
    Thanks for your replies, everyone

I'm not really very good at cooking for myself:o: , and chicken is pretty easy usually. I'm not too keen on beef or pork, so it's usually chicken or veggie meals.

ReputationRep:
    Kfc

ReputationRep:
    Wherever has offers ideally, but usually Tesco because I do my main shopping there.
    mysupermarket.co.uk really helps with finding great offers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't buy chicken.

I'm a vegetarian. :shock:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for your replies, everyone

I'm not really very good at cooking for myself:o: , and chicken is pretty easy usually. I'm not too keen on beef or pork, so it's usually chicken or veggie meals.

There are loads of student recipe books and stuff out there, and there is a website somewhere where you can put in what you have in your cupboard and it gives you ideas!

Try experimenting around with food a bit; you'll surprise yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I would never buy fresh meat from Iceland - I'm afraid that the pricetag probably really does reflect the quality of the meat. I also refuse to buy anything that isn't free range out of principle.

Thighs are generally cheaper and I find them a perfectly good alternative - I prefer them for some recipes, in fact.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.