Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a bit of a new member - not really sure how this all works! But I'm learning...

Anyway, I've just been offered a place (conditional, of course) to study at Cambridge next year, which I am very, very happy about!

However, I'm having doubts about the whole situation, out of all the people I know who have been to Oxbridge, not many have enjoyed it... this may just be circumstances and chance that the people I have spoken to/heard about haven't had the best experience. Some have dropped out, become ill, 'survived rather than enjoyed' their experience etc...

I was wondering if any current or prospective students had any views on this?

I want to have a blast at university, wherever I am, as well as go somewhere academically and opportunistically FAB.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww congratulations on your offer!

Well, I'm gonna be honest with you and say that during my first term, I didn't really do anything apart from work and occasional clubbing. Sounds bad I know, and at the time I felt like I was only surviving, but I needed the first term to get used to Cambridge. Now I've got lots of things lined up for this term and I'm trying to organise myself a bit better.

It's not all about work. I did work work work last term and nearly drove myself round the bend! I think that actually, having lots of non-academic stuff to do makes you work better- one of my closest friends at college does a million different things and is so efficient at just fitting everything in. I had a mini explosion of 'argh I can't do this any more I want to go home' but the good thing about Cambridge is that you have your Director of Studies and your tutor to talk to if you get caught in a sticky situation. The problem was just that I was a bit underconfident, needed to adjust to things and was reluctant to try things in case I took on too much- in other words, I was the only thing stopping myself from enjoying uni. I'm still in doubt as to whether I'll survive this term but I'm going to give it all I've got and I'm sure I'll have fun trying!

Anyways I hope you come here OP- it's fantastic and apart from little gripes I can't imagine being happier anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, that's brilliant help...
    Oh goodness so many decisions to make...maybe I should wait and see if I get other offers first! Getting a bit ahead of myself here!
    How many hours a week of study do you have? I mean, not including stuff you do off your own back?
    For that matter, how much DO you do off your own back!

ReputationRep:
    Opportunity versus Enjoyment
    The answer is Cambridge.

I seriously recommend you at least go when term starts and see how it is before you get scared by the rumours. So many people would almost kill to be in your position so it's definitely worth taking up the opportunity (if it doesn't work out you can always drop out) but the odds are you'll give in to liking it too much to do that!

I've seen the same thing happen with 3 of my friends at Oxbridge now, and I hope that's what happens to me when I join too (grades permitting) this October. Apprehensions are usually overcome quite quickly... but time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, this is all useful stuff...and exactly the kind of advice I'd be giving someone else I'm sure...
    I'm sure it will all work out
    And thanks for all the congrats - congrats to those who have offers too! x

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar position when I got my offer and basically ended up coming here because I reasoned that if I dropped out of Cambridge, it probably wouldn't be too hard to go somewhere else instead, whereas if I turned down Cambridge then changed my mind I'd probably never be able to come back.......so I'd say it was probably worth going for it. (Also I'm now in the middle of my third year here so clearly it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although I do have slightly mixed feelings about my time here.)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.