Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so I started the 3000 calorie diet and its pretty tough to say the least, especially considering I am vegetarian around the house (no meat allowed inside).

Since my appetite is very small, I find it much easier to hit the target by just drinking more protein shakes (around 4 servings a day of pure whey protein plus scottish oats from myprotein.com).

I also have a litre of soya milk a day which contributes to around 760 calories alone. These plus fruits like bananas, blackberries, etc. tend to contribute more to my diet than the conventional way of pigging out on meat and eggs (although I do have 3 scrambled eggs every day).

Does it matter if I reach the target more by drinking in the calories and protein? Of course I have things like peanut butter sandwiches + quorn + eggs in the day.. but I just want to be sure that its ok to drink say, 4 servings of protein and carbs a day when myprotein reccomend 2-3.

Also am I right to carry on drinking a litre of soya milk a day? I also have a pint and a half of full fat milk daily. Is it better to keep this up or switch to having alot more pure fat milk? Soya seems better becuase it has 760 calories and a heck of alot of protein

ReputationRep:
    Drink a lot of water(at least 2 litres) a day , the protein shakes hit your kidneys hard due to how concentrated they are and youve got to keep yourself hydrated to keep things running smooth. Also try and spread out your shakes over the course of the day, preferably in between meals.

I was pretty much in the same situation as you(Veggie household) and I would try and get some meat from outside as often as possible, whether it was a Sub Club on the way to a mates house or a grilled chicken sandwich from the school canteen, it just made life so much easier.

Also im not entirely sure what the "3000 calorie" diet is, but are you sure youre meant to be having so much fat? My understanding is unless you want to really bulk up something fierce, or are going for a no carb ketabolic deal, its much more efficient to go for a 40/40/20 split between carbs/protein and fat. Please, englighten me.

ReputationRep:
    whats this split? I'm new to the whole bulking concept so I dont know a huge amount. After research and talking to people who know a bit more than I do, I was told to go on the 3000 calorie diet, which is pretty much having 6 meals, 500 calories each. Also my protein intake must equal my bodyweight, so I am for 140g of protein a day.

I'm not underweight, but not far off it. I have miles to go before I get any results so I guess the best thing is to bulk dirty. I havent really heard bad things about the 3000 calorie diet, but since Im finding it tough I just find it easier to drink the calories/protein more than to eat it.

Water is a good call, I'l try taking a couple of litres a day. Meat is hit and miss.. I can go on huge spells without it at times so its best not to depend on that. Surely theres other vegetarians out there who acheived their desired results. I hope meat isnt key to my bulking diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nahdrav)
    Drink a lot of water(at least 2 litres) a day , the protein shakes hit your kidneys hard due to how concentrated they are and youve got to keep yourself hydrated to keep things running smooth. Also try and spread out your shakes over the course of the day, preferably in between meals.

I was pretty much in the same situation as you(Veggie household) and I would try and get some meat from outside as often as possible, whether it was a Sub Club on the way to a mates house or a grilled chicken sandwich from the school canteen, it just made life so much easier.

Also im not entirely sure what the "3000 calorie" diet is, but are you sure youre meant to be having so much fat? My understanding is unless you want to really bulk up something fierce, or are going for a no carb ketabolic deal, its much more efficient to go for a 40/40/20 split between carbs/protein and fat. Please, englighten me.
    Nothing wrong with high fat diets. Dietary fat =/= body fat.

And at bold part :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna hijack your thread for a sec...

Can anyone tell me if I can put on weight by increasing my calorie intake to 3500 (with correct proteins, carbs etc too) without doing any type of resistance other than press ups and sit ups??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)

Can anyone tell me if I can put on weight by increasing my calorie intake to 3500 (with correct proteins, carbs etc too) without doing any type of resistance other than press ups and sit ups??
    Obviously you're gonna gain weight...but doing only press ups and "sit ups :lolwut:"" isn't much resistance so you're gonna become fatty fatty boom boom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newlife)

I'm not underweight, but not far off it. I have miles to go before I get any results so I guess the best thing is to bulk dirty. I havent really heard bad things about the 3000 calorie diet, but since Im finding it tough I just find it easier to drink the calories/protein more than to eat it.

Do these protein shakes actually help you put on weight and how quickly?

I'm trying to increase my daily calorie intake but I never feel hungry enough to eat more than 2 full meals a day, but I do snack.
    I'm seeing a dietician soon so maybe he/she will recommend me something worth while, as I've been seeing a lot of weight gain pills and shakes online and not sure what to trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Obviously you're gonna gain weight...but doing only press ups and "sit ups :lolwut"" isn't much resistance so you're gonna become fatty fatty boom boom.
    lol I like sit ups :p: I did martial arts for years and was toned and had a really well defined 6-pack and I want it back!

Thanks though buddy buddy bud bud! I wanted to know because I have a really high metabolism and I haven't trained in 2 years so am now super thin.

ReputationRep:
    lol I like sit ups :p: I did martial arts for years and was toned and had a really well defined 6-pack and I want it back!

Thanks though buddy buddy bud bud! I wanted to know because I have a really high metabolism and I haven't trained in 2 years so am now super thin.
    Sit ups are pretty useless. I pretty much doubt you have high metabolism. You probably thought you ate tons but was only eating maintenance level.

If you want a 6 pack, go on a cut..i.e lower body fat %

To build muscle you need to eat more then your body is consuming (after noob gains anyway) if you're not training then of course it will be stored as extra fuel for the winter, aka fat

And lol @ the guy that said about protein shakes and liver, unless your adding vodka to your shakes, your liver and kidneys will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    OP-easy kcals:
    have 2 table spoons of flaxseed oil a day.
    To liquidy things such as soups and baked beans, add hempseeds.
    Eat nuts, not all at once but over the course of a TV program. Brazils, almounds, walnuts (bleh) hazelnuts (bleh) so on so forth. Oh don't forget penauts (perhaps peanut butter) and cashews.

ReputationRep:
    Sit ups are pretty useless. I pretty much doubt you have high metabolism. You probably thought you ate tons but was only eating maintenance level.

If you want a 6 pack, go on a cut..i.e lower body fat %
    Ok I'll bear that in mind, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with high fat diets. Dietary fat =/= body fat.

And at bold part :lolwut:
    Sorry about that, I misremembered it/ poorly phrased. The general consensus is for weak/damaged kidneys excess protein can cause damage but for normal kidneys you should be fine.

However, direct quote from bodybuilding champion, personal trainer and author of over 8 books on health and fitness, Hugo Rivera

I always caution bodybuilders that in order to keep their kidneys healthy some aerobic exercise needs to be performed on a weekly basis as this will help keep the blood pressure in check and the heart healthy. I also recommend to drink plenty of water as this fluid is of utmost importance for protein processing and cleansing of waste product produced by protein metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    Well water cant hurt, may as well put that into the mix

(Original post by parasitic)

I'm trying to increase my daily calorie intake but I never feel hungry enough to eat more than 2 full meals a day, but I do snack.
    I'm seeing a dietician soon so maybe he/she will recommend me something worth while, as I've been seeing a lot of weight gain pills and shakes online and not sure what to trust.
    Well I've only just started my protein shakes, but I hear they are pointless if you arent eating well and not working out. Im trying to hit the 3000 calorie mark and have only gone to the gym twice since I started having my shake a week ago so I can't possibly tell you about any gains yet.

I do hear they are essential for gaining muscle though. I read a much appraised ebook by a famous bodybuilder (forgot his name), and he mentioned you must have protein after working out, its like refilling a car after a long drive. Without it, its pointless.. and I guess thats why pure whey protein is good to invest in.

Note: I'm basing my view on my own research and what people tell me. I'm still new to the world of bulking/gaining muscle myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)

Yes butyYou can buy proper weight gainer shakes that have added carbs mixed with the protein to increase your weight quicker. I amke my own out of the whey protein and oats, but either is fine. You can put it all in a blender and even mix with stuff like ice cream to up the calories if you need to aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newlife)
    Well water cant hurt, may as well put that into the mix

Well I've only just started my protein shakes, but I hear they are pointless if you arent eating well and not working out. Im trying to hit the 3000 calorie mark and have only gone to the gym twice since I started having my shake a week ago so I can't possibly tell you about any gains yet.

I do hear they are essential for gaining muscle though. I read a much appraised ebook by a famous bodybuilder (forgot his name), and he mentioned you must have protein after working out, its like refilling a car after a long drive. Without it, its pointless.. and I guess thats why pure whey protein is good to invest in.

Note: I'm basing my view on my own research and what people tell me. I'm still new to the world of bulking/gaining muscle myself.
    4 scoops is fine mate. I usually take 2 shakes a day if i don't get enough food when at uni and they both have 3 scoops in with oats and milk. It's worked out fine for me so far.

I think t's generally considered better to get as much protein from food as you can but as long as your getting more calories in than your using your going to get bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Yes butyYou can buy proper weight gainer shakes that have added carbs mixed with the protein to increase your weight quicker. I amke my own out of the whey protein and oats, but either is fine. You can put it all in a blender and even mix with stuff like ice cream to up the calories if you need to aswell.
    Oh nice. Thanks
    I'll have a look around shops for these because a lot of weight gaining shakes I've seen a pretty much protein instead of carbohydrates, and I need both I don't really want to go to a gym or have muscles, just some weight gain to make my BMI healthy. : )

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read (and that's quite a lot) there are maaaany differing opinions on nearly everything to do with muscle building. I know you're talking about putting on weight, but unless you want to be fat you're going to want to put on muscle too (and I assume when you get to the weight you want, you're going to want to lose body fat).

Soya is extremely bad for you in this case. If you ever want to lose the fat that you're going to gain on this diet, you probably need to stop drinking soya. It's been found in some studies that soya prevents weight loss by suppressing the action of your thyroid and lowering metabolic rate (the thyroid produces hormones that effect our bodies' metabolism).

Furthermore, soya prevents protein absorption. The effect of your protein shakes is going to be hampered by drinking so much soya, as soya contains protease inhibitors and these block action of trypsin and other enzymes that you need to digest protein.

Hope this helps somewhat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.