Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i hate/suck writing essays, i really don't see the point.

anyway, i literally cant think of any more to write, how many words do you think i could get away with

it says "...of approximately 1000 words"

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? You're at CAMBRIDGE and you're asking for advice on how to write as few words as possible for a mere 1000-word essay??! Jesus I thought you had to work hard and be committed to go to Oxbridge...

ReputationRep:
    pfft 1000 words, i do more than that for a simple piece of homework in gcse geography.

ReputationRep:
    1000 word essay seems to be a hard title for a 1000 word essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Are you serious? You're at CAMBRIDGE and you're asking for advice on how to write as few words as possible for a mere 1000-word essay??! Jesus I thought you had to work hard and be committed to go to Oxbridge...
    i havn't had to write an essay for years!

and its a really pointless skill for an engineer to have anyway. i'll quite happily write huuge lab reports, but essays on the role of entrepreneurs in climate change. what bloody use is that

ReputationRep:
    good luck with your dissertation then.

ReputationRep:
    i crap more than 1000 words

ReputationRep:
    I agree - essay means jump off cliff- and I do law

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you going to have to write a dissertation which far exceeds this limit?
    In answer to your question - 920? Depends how strict...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there a leeway of something like 15% either way? I'm not sure how true that is, though.

ReputationRep:
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Just draw something in Paint. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucible)
    Aren't you going to have to write a dissertation which far exceeds this limit?
    In answer to your question - 920? Depends how strict...
    i have no clue about a dissertation, if i have to write one thats still years away. so i'd prefer not to think about it

i've written far longer lab reports, where i actually know what i'm talking about and have something half decent to get across. just pointless essays irritate me soo much. i could quite happily run into the eng dept with a shotgun and shoot the guy who set this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    to be fair he is an engineering student

ReputationRep:
    I agree, its BLOODY difficult to keep an essay to 1000 words.

I'm currently trying to cut down a 4000 word first draft by 2500 words. How can they expect so few words for such an expansive topic?

ReputationRep:
    If what you have is good quality and at the right point between detail and conciseness, they can't complain (in my opinion and experience :smug: ). But to be honest, the word limit is usually set at a length that such an essay would reach naturally, and after all, 1000 words is not very long at all... this is no secondary school one paragraf answer, y'know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopi, ffs)
    If what you have is good quality and at the right point between detail and conciseness, they can't complain (in my opinion and experience :smug: ). But to be honest, the word limit is usually set at a length that such an essay would reach naturally, and after all, 1000 words is not very long at all... this is no secondary school one paragraf answer, y'know.
    haha this is the worst possible essay anyone could ever write, doubt it even passes. although just been told by some second years i can get away with 700 words

ReputationRep:
    If I wasn't for the fact I just submitted a 3000 word essay, have 2000 words for next week and know I will have about 50,000,000,000 words to write when it gets round to a dissertation, I would feel sorry for you.

Seriously though, the topic might be a pointless one but an entrepeneur's role in climate change is quite an easy question to answer with just a little background knowledge and a lot of meandering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

anyway, i literally cant think of any more to write, how many words do you think i could get away with

I think they usually accept +- 10% of the limit (mine does), so for between 900 and 1100 words they will not dock marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

usually you can be 10% over/under the limit. good luckk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I think they usually accept +- 10% of the limit (mine does), so for between 900 and 1100 words they will not dock marks.
    Thats pants, 1 word over the limit at mine and you lose 5%!! 51 words over and you lose 10%! etc...

But seriously OP, 1000 is NOTHING, I have no idea how you don't have enough to fill 1000 words. I usually write like 2000 and have to cut half out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.