Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi every,
    I've applied to Exeter this year for Maths with Economics and have recently received an offer. I'm going to put Exeter as my insurance but I'm still slightly concerned about the amount of Maths and Economics contained in the course. From what I read on their site, they mention that in year 3, apart from maths, students also have a few options for taking Economics modules and can do at least 30 credits from them. So does it mean that I can do more than 30 if I wish to?
    Any help is appreciated, especially from students currently at Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether or not you have seen this site, but it lays it all out here....

http://www1.secam.ex.ac.uk/programme...rammeStructure

Basically, you have no choice of modules in your first year, you will have to take all first year modules detailed on that page.

In your second year you have 90 compulsary credits and then 30 credits of which you can do pretty much anything timetable permitting, they have suggested the ones which go with your degree.

In your final year you HAVE to take 30 credits of year three economics modules, as well as one or two of these:
    ECM3719 Mathematics: History and Culture 15
    ECM3713 Mathematical Sciences Project 1 15
    ECM3714 Mathematical Sciences Project 2 15
    You are then free to make up your remaining credits to 120 out of the long list of 3rd year modules detailed, which could include one 15 credit external module (if you've had enough of maths and economics by this stage and want a break during the week/want something extra to put on your cv...) and one 15 credit internal (but not related to maths or economics) module... you could also just pick up 75 credits worth of economics modules if you wanted to.

Hope i've helped and not confused you more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boho)
    I don't know whether or not you have seen this site, but it lays it all out here....

http://www1.secam.ex.ac.uk/programme...rammeStructure

Basically, you have no choice of modules in your first year, you will have to take all first year modules detailed on that page.

In your second year you have 90 compulsary credits and then 30 credits of which you can do pretty much anything timetable permitting, they have suggested the ones which go with your degree.

In your final year you HAVE to take 30 credits of year three economics modules, as well as one or two of these:
    ECM3719 Mathematics: History and Culture 15
    ECM3713 Mathematical Sciences Project 1 15
    ECM3714 Mathematical Sciences Project 2 15
    You are then free to make up your remaining credits to 120 out of the long list of 3rd year modules detailed, which can include one 15 credit external modules (if you've had enough of maths and economics by this stage and want a break during the week/want something extra to put on your cv...) and one 15 credit internal (but not related to maths or economics) module... or you could just pick up 75 credits worth of economics modules if you wanted to.

Hope i've helped and not confused you more!
    Thank you very much, that actually helps a lot.

The uni also offers me to change to "Mathematics with Finance" if I wish to, which I find its structure pretty the same as my current course. So in your opinion, do you think the title of the course would make any differences if I want to apply for either further education or job after that?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.