Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i can see what adshur and others are saying - to be honest that durham attracts oxbridge rejects doesnt bother me, as these people will still be cleverer than most and will be talented in some ways otherwise they wouldnt have applied to oxbridge.

i also dont think its superior to, say york, warwick, bath, nottingham and all the other provincials, just a good UK top 15 uni and a lovely town

what i am wondering though is whether the fact that a fair amount of its students are oxbridge rejects come across in their attitudes? one post a while back said something about pompous little rich kids driving about in mercedes ( i think this was abou durham) - is this more likely at durham than at other unis?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Any student would sing their University's praise.
    That's not the point of my argument though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_thompson)
    ok, you disagree with statistics then, u do that.

There are three types of lie- lies, damned lies and statistics.

ReputationRep:
    im going to either durham or IC if im rejected, making both of those kind of oxbridge reject unis lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    And which one are you speaking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    That's not the point of my argument though!
    Well what gives you the right to assert that some 'people' (who yawn1 pointed out might be Durham students - you didn't even define this) come across as all 'superior'!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    im going to either durham or IC if im rejected, making both of those kind of oxbridge reject unis lol
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Well what gives you the right to assert that some 'people' (who yawn1 pointed out might be Durham students - you didn't even define this) come across as all 'superior'!?!
    I didn't say the people think they are superior, I said that they think the place is superior.

ReputationRep:
    And which one are you speaking?

?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    if it is offically from the times and published in newspapers across teh UK, then its good enough for me.

better and more reliable than what u say 4 sure.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say the people think they are superior, I said that they think the place is superior.
    Why should they see themselves as going to a superior University if they got rejected from Oxbridge!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Any student would sing their University's praise.
    Quite - but my post was not just to point this out but to give reason for Adshur's observation.
    The reason for Durham's popularity as an alternative to Oxbridge could be in the way they sell their halls of residence - they do sound very grand in the prospectus.
    Just as some students are put off by modern buildings of some unis others are encouraged by antiquity of buildings at other unis. Excellence of courses do not always figure utmost in decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Why should they see themselves as going to a superior University if they got rejected from Oxbridge!?
    I meant superior to all others below Oxbridge. Obviously they wont' regard it as superior to oxbridge. Duh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Quite - but my post was not just to point this out but to give reason for Adshur's observation.
    The reason for Durham's popularity as an alternative to Oxbridge could be in the way they sell their halls of residence - they do sound very grand in the prospectus.
    Just as some students are put off by modern buildings of some unis others are encouraged by antiquity of buildings at other unis. Excellence of courses do not always figure utmost in decisions.
    So because Durham is of similar structure to Oxbridge it must therefore be an Oxbridge rejects' University? Wouldn't it make more sense to see a more academic University as one for Oxbridge rejects, as academia is essentially what it's all about?

ReputationRep:
    I meant superior to all others below Oxbridge. Obviously they wont' regard it as superior to oxbridge. Duh.
    It would be just as valid to conclude that they thought they were not going to a superior University (just "the rest") because they got rejected from Oxbridge. In fact, Occam's razor would lead me to conclude this.

Well just because a university is behind Oxbridge doesn't mean you can't think about how good it is compared to the other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    So because Durham is of similar structure to Oxbridge it must therefore be an Oxbridge rejects' University? Wouldn't it make more sense to see a more academic University as one for Oxbridge rejects, as academia is essentially what it's all about?
    People label it a university for oxbridge rejects because there are lots of oxbridge rejects there. Plain and simple.

Durham is a second-choice option for so many (note, I didn't say all) people if oxbridge fails, so they perhaps want an oxbridgy environment to compensate for their loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    so they perhaps want an oxbridgy environment to compensate for their loss.
    Maybe they'd want a more academic environment to compensate for their loss!!

ReputationRep:
    ...so they perhaps want an oxbridgy environment to compensate for their loss.
    thats half the attraction of durham for me. itd be nice to live in an old college where you can get to know everyone. imperial is big and anonymous but has a better academic rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Maybe they'd want a more academic environment to compensate for their loss!!
    No. League tables show that Durham isn't really that close to oxbridge in terms fo the quality of its teaching so I don't know where you get that from. Maybe it's the "feeling" of being in an academic environment.

For your information everyone, I don't hate Durham - in fact if I don't get into Cambridge (which is most likely) it will be my insurance...assuming I get an offer from there.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.