Turn on thread page Beta

Is Durham really full of oxbridge rejects? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    thank you for restoring it, and sorry bout the name mix up.
    yes..thank you, i just wanted to make my feelings known as it really frustrates me when people ramble on about things so silly.
    Sorry i just assumed you were a guy, i'll remember for next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    thank you for restoring it, and sorry bout the name mix up.
    hey you (won't say ure real name), what did you do in school today, i thought i might as well stay home since we never do any work on last day.
    oh yeh stop using my account.
    whats ure e-mail address

oh yeh, stop trying to reply to my messages as me, you aren't as good a hacker as you make out to be

ReputationRep:
    We're all saying how good LSE, Imperial, Oxford etc. are (which of course they are) and showing the rankings, but aren't we forgetting that uni rankings are different for each subject? My friend went to go study law @ Durham which is currently ranked 4th in the Times tables. For Physics Durham is ranked #1 alongside Oxford.

This why i'm putting Nottingham as my firm choice and York as my insurance even though York is higher up in the overall rankings - Notts is currently #1 for psychology (although this is of course not the only reason i'm choosing the university - many more reasons such as scholarships).

I visited Durham this year, it was an absolutely gorgeous place and I fell in love with it immediately!! Although it's not strong in Psychology that's why I applied there anyway.

My friend who studies law (and yes she is an Oxbridge reject) said she absolutely loves the place

ReputationRep:
    Durham isn't rubbish!! It's gorgeous and the people were really nice when I went and visited. If I were you, Adshur, I WOULD go and visit it - I don't think you can know how you feel about a place until you've actually been there.

Having said that I do understand the point about the 'Oxbridge rejects' college' - I think all Adshur was saying is that this is a perception that has been around for a number of years, which is absolutely true. Most of the people I know who went there, however, were not Oxbridge rejects. But could I just point out one thing: there are likely to be many top universities who have lots of 'Oxbridge rejects' because actually quite a large number of people apply to Oxbridge and therefore quite a large number are going to be rejected!

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, Durham as a university isn't a uni full of OXbridge rejects. However, you do get a lot of Oxford applicants who also apply to Durham, with many of them applying to Castle. All these ppl apply way be4 October 15th, and if they are rejected from OX then a lot of them take Castle as their second choice. Personally I also applied to Castle, but on 15th OCt for geog. All their places had been taken so I was placed in St Cuths :mad: . So I think that Castle probably has the most Oxbridge rejects, although even many ppl ther will not have applied to Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    IMHO, Durham as a university isn't a uni full of OXbridge rejects. However, you do get a lot of Oxford applicants who also apply to Durham, with many of them applying to Castle. All these ppl apply way be4 October 15th, and if they are rejected from OX then a lot of them take Castle as their second choice. Personally I also applied to Castle, but on 15th OCt for geog. All their places had been taken so I was placed in St Cuths :mad: . So I think that Castle probably has the most Oxbridge rejects, although even many ppl ther will not have applied to Oxbridge
    There's bound to be a certain proportion of candidates who have a proverbial 'chip on their shoulder', but I'm sure this is the same at quite a few of the higher level universities, perhaps more so at Durham because the style of university is very similar to Oxbridge as has already been stated. At my school, the majority of people that are hoping to go to Durham have not applied to Oxford, and out of the possible 'Oxbridge rejects' only a few might hold Durham as their firm.

ReputationRep:
    i applied to oxford and durham, dont know from Ox yet but i got an offer from Durham, but even if i don't get into ox i am not accpeting my durham offer at firm or conditional even thought it is rank 1 for my subject, coz they placed me in marys LOL! so no, i don't think it is the oxford reject place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    i applied to oxford and durham, dont know from Ox yet but i got an offer from Durham, but even if i don't get into ox i am not accpeting my durham offer at firm or conditional even thought it is rank 1 for my subject, coz they placed me in marys LOL! so no, i don't think it is the oxford reject place!

I felt the same. I got placed in St Cuthberts and I definitely did not want to go there

ReputationRep:
    urgh yeh marys and cuths are the only 2 colleges in durham that I wouldnt go to. i rang round all the colleges to try and get changed (you can do that) and all of them said sorry they were too full already, or were so oversubscribed that they werent doing that, but trevs which was last on my list neway said i chould count myself lucky that i'd been given an offer at all, and I was like ERRR well IM NOT GOING TO GO because of the college i've been given so i don't count myself lucky!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.