Turn on thread page Beta

do people ever chose operations over FO or MO roles... watch

ReputationRep:
    ..because they find it more interesting?

ReputationRep:
    I know of people in Ops who find it more appealing than FO/MO, but whether or not they find it more interesting is another matter.

Why?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much every one I speak to who works in Ops claims to work in MO anyway :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Quite a broad question to ask; in my opinon, it all depends on your skillset and interests. Of course there will be people that will prefer operations.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about MO (probably something of a Goldilocks role - bar the bonus side). But BO is more of a family friendly job. (Relativey) less stress, good money, fair hours.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people/places seem to think Operations is MO anyway. I've spoken to a couple of people who started out in Operations, managed to move into Trading/FO , but then moved back as they prefered the lifestyle/role. One was at JPM and the other at RBS.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me the difference between FO, MO and Operations. I thought Operations was MO?

I applied for this role at JPM and had an assessment day for it:

European Client Services covers all aspects of client interaction for both retail and institutional clients who invest in a wide range of products. These products range from segregated investment mandates to investment trusts. You could be interacting daily with many different client types, such as individuals, corporations, asset managers, pension fund clients, intermediaries, and sovereigns. The role involves significant networking with other parts of the organisation as you'll be assisting clients with queries on funds, market views, performance, account activity and general relationship/sales issues.

Would this be classed as MO even though there is interaction with clients? Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to move to front office from this?

ReputationRep:
    Operations in BO.

Risk is MO.

Finance is a mixture of MO and BO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibd_haunter)
    Operations in BO.

Risk is MO.

Finance is a mixture of MO and BO.
    The divide between MO and BO is so hazy you really can't make these distinctions, in reality they don't exist. Front office is clearly divided from BO/MO but you can't divide MO and BO.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on your personal needs. For instance if one person in the family is in FO then other might want to be in BO/MO for more friendly hours for family reasons etc:P

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Operations as the long term direction and opportunities of a career within this department appeal to me more than those in the other areas of IB.

(Original post by tomcorke)
    Can someone please tell me the difference between FO, MO and Operations. I thought Operations was MO?

I applied for this role at JPM and had an assessment day for it:

European Client Services covers all aspects of client interaction for both retail and institutional clients who invest in a wide range of products. These products range from segregated investment mandates to investment trusts. You could be interacting daily with many different client types, such as individuals, corporations, asset managers, pension fund clients, intermediaries, and sovereigns. The role involves significant networking with other parts of the organisation as you'll be assisting clients with queries on funds, market views, performance, account activity and general relationship/sales issues.

Would this be classed as MO even though there is interaction with clients? Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to move to front office from this?
    Client Services is part of Operations, and yes you could move to the front office from Ops though it probably won't be easy, just not impossible. I asked a lady at my BarCap assessment centre if this ever happens and she said yes, but quite rarely and it's not the best way to go about things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    I am doing Operations as the long term direction and opportunities of a career within this department appeal to me more than those in the other areas of IB.

Client Services is part of Operations, and yes you could move to the front office from Ops though it probably won't be easy, just not impossible. I asked a lady at my BarCap assessment centre if this ever happens and she said yes, but quite rarely and it's not the best way to go about things.
    Can vouch for this.

I think what Chewwy meant by his original post though, is not the reasons as to why people choose Ops over FO, but whether or not they find their work interesting relative to what one might be doing in FO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Can vouch for this.

I think what Chewwy meant by his original post though, is not the reasons as to why people choose Ops over FO, but whether or not they find their work interesting relative to what one might be doing in FO.

Well, certainly I would rather say i'm going to be going into FO, but ultimately I look at the day to day activities in FO and Ops and certainly the Ops roles appeal to me more.

I know that is different for me to most of my friends going into the IB sector, but that's just my own personal preference and what I enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm thinking now that going into Ops wouldn't be such a bad thing. Nearly all of my S&T internship applications have gone bad, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get a summer in Prime Brokerage - which is basically like ops, but client facing. If that goes tits up then I would seriously consider applying to operations in the bulge brackets next year (as a route to something else later, like hedge fund ops or maybe a jump from ops to FO). It does seem interesting in places, but it would suck not being client facing for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    To be honest I'm thinking now that going into Ops wouldn't be such a bad thing. Nearly all of my S&T internship applications have gone bad, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get a summer in Prime Brokerage - which is basically like ops, but client facing. If that goes tits up then I would seriously consider applying to operations in the bulge brackets next year (as a route to something else later, like hedge fund ops or maybe a jump from ops to FO). It does seem interesting in places, but it would suck not being client facing for me.
    Please go and learn what Prime Brokerage is before saying that in front of somebody with any recruitment power...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    ..because they find it more interesting?
    If you are interested in project/change management, analysis of systems, general management there are a WEALTH of jobs available in ops which need little more than a passing interest in finance (though of course most succesful applicants will have more than a 'passing interest'). Only the most junior rubber-stamping trade settlement etc roles probably fit in with your stereotype.

A high-flying medicine grad could easily have no interest in a IBD offer. Equally a prospective project manager could be completely indifferent to a role as a trader. Yet these people are still crucial to (big) IBs.

But these people arent the ones going to FO grad scheme interviews. I doubt many who are putting in that kind of effort for FO grad schemes would be turning offers down in favour of BO/MO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    Ummm... as a junior in ops (in some areas) you get more client facing contact than in many FO areas. I mean if you're in settlements or something you're calling up clients constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Please go and learn what Prime Brokerage is before saying that in front of somebody with any recruitment power...
    Thanks. I guess I just said that to avoid having to write an essay!

Depends which part of Prime Brokerage you are discussing. If you are dealing with settlements and clearing, then you are performing an operations role on behalf of the client. Sure, there are different roles that involve more sales and custodial duties, but you are providing a service to the client in their own transactions and not necessarily an advisory role. Tell me how this is so drastically different to the services that IB Ops provides to its own traders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Ummm... as a junior in ops (in some areas) you get more client facing contact than in many FO areas. I mean if you're in settlements or something you're calling up clients constantly.
    Point taken I guess by client facing I meant having a sales aspect to the job, but yeah I fully understand what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    Thanks. I guess I just said that to avoid having to write an essay!

Depends which part of Prime Brokerage you are discussing. If you are dealing with settlements and clearing, then you are performing an operations role on behalf of the client. Sure, there are different roles that involve more sales and custodial duties, but you are providing a service to the client in their own transactions and not necessarily an advisory role. Tell me how this is so drastically different to the services that IB Ops provides to its own traders.
    You have traders in PB as well. Other non-ops roles include capital introduction and hedge fund advisory services.

If you were in PB client service then it'd be ops work.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.