Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My 10,000 word dissertation is due in March and I have pretty much done nothing towards it (my own stupid fault).

I started to do research on an iconic bridge proposal for Poole, a coastal town in Dorset. It links a small community on the other side of the harbour and has iconic potential, however the proposals have dragged on for years and nobody wants to be interviewed about it.

So I can either run with this idea and harass people for interviews or start over, which I'm happy to do if I find a good project idea.

My interests are urban development, policy, planning, regeneration, etc.

If anyone has any project ideas or an interesting area of urban regeneration I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your supervisor in the first instance. They should be able to offer some sort of help and advice on what to do. I know of someone who had to change their topic in late-September (dissertations are due in December in my department) who still managed to get a good grade.

Could you tweak your proposal so that the bridge proposal is still involved? Maybe why has it dragged on, is it still even on the table? Economic benefits or otherwise of the linking?

*gets disseration panic*marrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg ghhhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. My dissertation tutor is awful and doesn't offer any opinion. The council say the bridge is definitely due to go ahead. But other than the council nobody else will respond to me or even do an interview.. and I need to get at least 10 interviews. So I have a feeling it's a deadend...

Yes... dissertation panic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolly_geogers)
    My 10,000 word dissertation is due in March and I have pretty much done nothing towards it
    Have fun with that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ham22)
    dissertation tutors are totally useless, this is a known fact. we're all on our own in this one.

They may be in your university, but mine is lovely.

I don't do so well in her modules, but she's an awesome supervisor. She doesn't know much about the topic (chairman's statements; readability, understandability, and relevance), but she's really helpful with the main stuff, and gives me a lot of time if I ask (including coming in on her days off).

OP: Can you change your subject to something slightly easier? Mine has no primary research, I just have to collect the statements and count :p:

ReputationRep:
    My dissertation supervisor was also lovely, would have done anything to help. And was always really interested in everyone's topic, which is also nice.

OP, there usually isn't a 'minimum' on how many interviews you need. Quality over quantity. You may need to find an alternative topic if you can't make any headway. For inspiration look at current research and see what is missing, and how your work could add to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.