Turn on thread page Beta

Don't like my boyfriend's dress sense. watch

My bf and I are both in the same University. Keyword- university. Yet he dresses abit chavy which I feel is pretty much just childish now. Basically this is what he wears daily :-
    Wooly hat
    Tracksuit bottoms
    huge looking childish coat

I haven't even seen him wear jeans before!
    I'll like to consider myself very stylish regardless of the course i'm studying and have even been mistaken as a fashion student on several occasions(I'm at Engineering student). It's actually one of the only ways to express myself he himself has complimented my fashion sense.

He's not a chav mind you, i'm just saying his 'style' seems to implement chavy features. Which is not very attractive to me.

People keep telling me I could do better and I don't like people thinking this, but he's good looking I just think the way he dresses brings him down. When I went shopping with him to look for a shirt for a special occasion he looked so ******* sexy when he tried it on! I could see his body shape and it was nice that day...

What can I do to rectify this dilemma? breaking up is not an option!

I'm not asking for ott but just something alittle mature and simple like jeans and a tshirt or something :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm not asking for ott but just something alittle mature and simple like jeans and a tshirt or something :/
    You figured it out all by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    burn his clothes and buy him new ones.

ReputationRep:
    Next time there's a special occasion, buy him clothing. Over time, he'll probably get the hint if you continually buy him nice jeans/shirts/t-shirts. If not, then have him take you shopping, and tactfully get him to try some things on himself, and go ott about how lovely he looks in them. A compliment is always a confidence booster!

You want him to dress a certain way, so you look better. Otherwise you'd only want him to look good for you and when only you are there. I'd laugh if he changed himself for you, and then other girls would want him and maybe he'd leave you for someone else. Let him dress how he wants, that is expression, expression isn't about looking nice in other peoples opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother doing anything, you vile witch. He will resent it and eventually end up dumping you for being overbearing anyway, so don't bother. You should stop going out with each other because he's two tenths of cool whereas you're an evil witch.

ReputationRep:
    Suck his dong and be thankful he is with you. Maybe you're the one being childish not him.

ReputationRep:
    it seems you are being childish, not him. maybe he wears those clothes because he feels the most comfortable in them? maybe he does not give a **** about what society tells him he should dress like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My bf and I are both in the same University. Keyword- university. Yet he dresses abit chavy which I feel is pretty much just childish now. Basically this is what he wears daily :-
    Wooly hat
    Tracksuit bottoms
    huge looking childish coat

I haven't even seen him wear jeans before!
    I'll like to consider myself very stylish regardless of the course i'm studying and have even been mistaken as a fashion student on several occasions(I'm at Engineering student). It's actually one of the only ways to express myself he himself has complimented my fashion sense.

He's not a chav mind you, i'm just saying his 'style' seems to implement chavy features. Which is not very attractive to me.

People keep telling me I could do better and I don't like people thinking this, but he's good looking I just think the way he dresses brings him down. When I went shopping with him to look for a shirt for a special occasion he looked so ******* sexy when he tried it on! I could see his body shape and it was nice that day...

What can I do to rectify this dilemma? breaking up is not an option!

Wow you sound boring...

ReputationRep:
    you better get spending then (ye' big silly pretentious ponce)

ReputationRep:
    are there sub-forums for faux hip, airheaded, probably spoiled upper-middle class kids?

ReputationRep:
    suggest jeans to him, and tops etc. or go onto some clothes sites and say 'wow, i think you would look amazing in this.. like that time when you tried that shirt on' ..and maybe if he knew how you thought about him wearing that shirt, he MIGHT change his style ?
    Or like other people have said.. buy him some things, its not like hes not going to wear it, isnt it? even if it's just a nice plain white top, you're his girlfriend and he wouldnt want you feeling... embarassed?

You're the childish one- yeh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    You want him to dress a certain way, so you look better. Otherwise you'd only want him to look good for you and when only you are there. I'd laugh if he changed himself for you, and then other girls would want him and maybe he'd leave you for someone else. Let him dress how he wants, that is expression, expression isn't about looking nice in other peoples opinion.
    This is one of the best posts I've ever read.
    Why the hell should he change the way he dresses just because you don't approve? The guy isn't a little kid and you aren't his mother, so stop trying to dress him. If fashion is such an important part of your life OP then go and date a 'fashionable' guy.

ReputationRep:
    Why try to change him? As other people have said, it's you with the problem, not him. He can wear whatever he likes, as can you.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. I used to wear rubbish clothes because I wanted to hide and because I was clueless. My sister started buying me clothes to help me look nice and now I know how to be comfortable and not look trampy and how to dress up when the occasion calls for it. It's a confidence booster if you know how to dress well.
    I don't see the OP as a vile witch, although the 'breaking up is not an option' comment makes me wonder a bit. If it was me I wouldn't even have thought to put that. Of course breaking up is not an option!
    Anyway, I agree you should just buy him clothes, or go shopping with him the next time he mentions that he's going and make sure to compliment him when he wears things that you like and perhaps point out things that you think would look good on him (preferably in magazines/shop windows etc, not on other men!).

Good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it... aren't you supposed to accept the other person as it is? if that is his style why do you have to change it? Imagine if he would try to change your style (although apparently yours is great) but still, that would not be very nice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeatForest)
    Don't bother doing anything, you vile witch. He will resent it and eventually end up dumping you for being overbearing anyway, so don't bother. You should stop going out with each other because he's two tenths of cool whereas you're an evil witch.
    Lol (assuming this is serious), I think we can see why typical TSR users don't get any.

OP just simply suggest you'd love to see him a shirt and jeans. It's only clothes, it's hardly a huge deal, and if he says no, he's comfortable as he is, then leave it. Most likely he'll try it out and probably get compliments and keep dressing like that.

ReputationRep:
    Mistaken for a fashion student, on my ******* god.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.