Turn on thread page Beta

Don't like my boyfriend's dress sense. watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ this thread. I'm sure the OP means well. I used to be a shocking dresser and looking back, I wish someone had pointed me in the right direction. Lets be honest, bad clothes make a bad impression.

I would buy him a new coat or a pair of jeans for Valentine's Day.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just say to him, you'd look really good in a pair of jeans and a shirt... If he likes you, he'll try it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    Tell him? If he really likes you and respects you he'll consider wearing jeans once in a while even if it's just to keep you happy, surely? People are taking this way too seriously.
    and the OP is one of them.

surely it his decision not hers what to wear. She wants him to wear what she wants in order to make herself look better

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's comfortable the way he dresses, I fail to see how it's childish...
    You are going out with him, not his clothes so why is it a problem? Stop being shallow, he is not your handbag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    You want him to dress a certain way, so you look better. Otherwise you'd only want him to look good for you and when only you are there. I'd laugh if he changed himself for you, and then other girls would want him and maybe he'd leave you for someone else. Let him dress how he wants, that is expression, expression isn't about looking nice in other peoples opinion.
    You do not understand social dynamics, that is all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Next time there's a special occasion, buy him clothing. Over time, he'll probably get the hint if you continually buy him nice jeans/shirts/t-shirts. If not, then have him take you shopping, and tactfully get him to try some things on himself, and go ott about how lovely he looks in them. A compliment is always a confidence booster!
    This. And, if you get the chance, move the clothes you hate to the bottom of his drawer/back of the wardrobe so they are less obvious. Just keep buying the clothes you want him to wear and complimenting him when he wears them. Trust me, I have some experience in this matter.

NB. It gets a lot easier when you move in together, cos then you can just throw the clothes out and deny all knowledge :yes:

Oh, and to all the people saying that it's his decision what to wear - this is true. But sometimes people just need a little nudge in the right direction. After all, you'd tell a friend if they were wearing something bloody stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I've been assisting my bf with his wardrobe choices recently and now he's online shopping more than me these days! It started off with me cringing at his favourite Flinstones t-shirt. This kinda just snowballed into us looking online at stuff (after his mum joining in when she bought him some clothes for chrimbo that he didn't like until I said I liked them!) I also showed him some sites I like the men's clothing from. Eventually this ended up in him buying a hoody from All Saints and now a 3 quarter length sleeve tee is on it's way in the post too. Now I get random emails with links to odd pieces of clothing for my opinion hehehe.

You don't have to be a bully about it, or be particularly critical. Just make a few suggestions. Don't push it if he's not willing to change.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of self-righteous people replying here, prancing around on their high horses.

Just because a person dresses a certain way doesn't mean that it is a well thought out expression of his true self. Often times the way a person dresses is influenced by many external things including friends, upbringing, surroundings growing up, etc. Growing up it may be that he just emulated what he saw and never gave it a second thought. Perhaps the lack of dress sense can be attributed to cluelessness. A lot of people think they present themselves a certain way but come off as something else. It may be that he simply does not know how to dress presentably. Many men shy away from looking into clothes/dressing well as they feel it is not manly. It does not mean that the OP is trying to destroy the very essence of his person, jebus.

Anyway, I agree with those suggestions along the line of buying the occasional piece of clothing to hint at what you would like. It might not convert him totally, but perhaps guide him to a more well-thought out style. Positive feedback will do wonders here.

ReputationRep:
    why wouldnt you want your better half to look their best? i would want them to make an effort with their appearance and wear nice clothes, partly for my own shallow reasons (ie want them to look lovely) and for them to feel confident in how they look.

my flatmate wears chavvy/young teenage-type clothes too. he's been down about never having a GF. so i (in my rather blunt manner) told him to have a wardrobe/hair makeover. now he's buying new clothes, wants to go shopping for some more new things... his confidence is through the roof! it's great to see and he wears his new stuff everyday and looks really chuffed when i compliment him.

you should just mention to your bf that you thought he looked really good in the shirt outfit and that he should wear more stuff like that. or take him shopping, pretend like you want to go girl shopping whilst taking him into shops too and suggesting things to him. he probably is in a bit of a rut and not sure how to make the most of his appearance... so subtly hint that you want him to have a bit of a makeover.

good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    What does social dynamics have to do with anything? She wants to be approved? Her boyfriend wants to be more but can't and needs someone to help him?
    Approval has everything to do with it, its inbuilt into us through evolution, personally if i see someone lagging behind on the food chain i like to bring them up to speed and there is nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Lol (assuming this is serious), I think we can see why typical TSR users don't get any.

OP just simply suggest you'd love to see him a shirt and jeans. It's only clothes, it's hardly a huge deal, and if he says no, he's comfor
    table as he is, then leave it. Most likely he'll try it out and probably get compliments and keep dressing like that.
    Bright girl you live up to your name with this post, i congratulate thee.

If a girl i was with said they liked my clothing or would like me to try a certain thing then id be all ears, if i didnt like it though i wouldnt stick with it, but i dont see any hard in asking your other half.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, not everyone's 'food chain' is the same. Some people are individuals...whether her boyfriend is or not I don't know...but I think change should self induced, otherwise it's not really change....no one wants to be a chameleon, no?
    Being a chameleon is part of finding yourself in life and testing new things that have allready been done, not much is unique these days, being a sheep is not cool, if thats what you ment then i agree.
    Oh and change being self induced is great but not everyone can make it without a push in the right direction, there are different personalities in the world and some find it harder than others to change for the better, if a change is in order.

Wow i'm a vile, evil, witch for expressing my thoughts on my boyfriend's dress sense? I didn't say I wanted him to change his WHOLE wardobe. Thanks to the (few) people who suggested the v-day tshirt bundle.
    In the long run it may be better, people don't treat him seriously and it may just be the confident booster he needs.
    For the others who said that other girls may start paying him interest- I don't care, Why should I prevent him from dressing decent just because I don't want other girls eye-balling him up. This is a confidence issue.

(Original post by BrightGirl)
    Lol (assuming this is serious), I think we can see why typical TSR users don't get any.

OP just simply suggest you'd love to see him a shirt and jeans. It's only clothes, it's hardly a huge deal, and if he says no, he's comfortable as he is, then leave it. Most likely he'll try it out and probably get compliments and keep dressing like that.
    EXACTLY! Your probably the one of the few people here who understood where i'm coming from. I haven't even said anything or brought anything up yet, there has been no discussion about this to my bf. I just wanted tips on how get him to try something new, a few suggestions here and there. If he doesn't like it, then i'll leave it and won't bring it up FULLSTOP.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him he isn't getting laid if he don't change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He's not a chav mind you, i'm just saying his 'style' seems to implement chavy features. Which is not very attractive to me.

People keep telling me I could do better and I don't like people thinking this, but he's good looking I just think the way he dresses brings him down. When I went shopping with him to look for a shirt for a special occasion he looked so ******* sexy when he tried it on! I could see his body shape and it was nice that day...
    Why should you care what other people think or say about your bf? And the way he dresses brings him down how? In the eyes of those people who tell you you could do better? If that is what you care about then his fashion sense is not the issue here.

Otherwise you should tell those people who are casting aspersions on your bf to sod off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    and the OP is one of them.

surely it his decision not hers what to wear. She wants him to wear what she wants in order to make herself look better
    How would you feel if all your girlfriend ever wore were trainers & tracksuits? Imagine you wanted to take her out for a meal, would you not rather she wore a dress, or something more suited for the occasion?

What I'm trying to say is that there's nothing wrong with a bit of variety, and in no way is it offensive for the OP to want her boyfriend looking his best. No matter what people say, the person we are in a relationship with is a reflection of ourselves, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to 'show off' your boyfriend once in a while. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He can wear what he wants...

Just tell him he'd look sexy in something and he'll probably start wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    How would you feel if all your girlfriend ever wore were trainers & tracksuits? Imagine you wanted to take her out for a meal, would you not rather she wore a dress, or something more suited for the occasion?

What I'm trying to say is that there's nothing wrong with a bit of variety, and in no way is it offensive for the OP to want her boyfriend looking his best. No matter what people say, the person we are in a relationship with is a reflection of ourselves, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to 'show off' your boyfriend once in a while. :rolleyes:
    Trainers and tracksuits are fine on a girl imo.

Then again I'm a really laid back person who isn't into fashion or clothes, so i'm probably in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    Don't try and change him but if he's anything like my boyfriend who couldn't care less what he wears and is clueless about clothes sometimes it's just about telling them what they look nice in. I told my boyfriend I love it when he wears shirts cos he looks so sexy and he wears them way more often now. You say he tried on this shirt and looked great, why don't you say "WOW you look amazing when you dress up a bit more". So long as you're being positive and not criticising him then if he wants to change he will. Buy him clothes for his birthdays etc.

If he still wears trackies etc then maybe that's HIS expression of himself. let the poor boy be

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.