Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to do Primary Education with QTS at university but have no experience within a classroom. Will i still be accepted into any of my universities? So far i have recieved a rejection from Canterbury.

ReputationRep:
    You may still be accepted if you have enough relevant experience working with children outside the classroom, however it really is the decision of the universities. At Canterbury they told us that the people most likely to drop out of the course are the ones with the least school experience, so the unis are taking a big risk on somebody with no classroom experience.

If you do get accepted, great, but if you don't, just spend a gap year getting some experience. As well as making yoou more attractive to the universities, it will provide you with valuable tips and ideas for when you do start the course. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KABS)
    I have applied to do Primary Education with QTS at university but have no experience within a classroom. Will i still be accepted into any of my universities? So far i have recieved a rejection from Canterbury.
    There's a chance, but it's unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    If you try and get some class room experience now at your interviews you can say that you are currently spending time in classrooms etc.
    It will also show initiative as you have seen a problem and found an answer.
    Lots of schools welcome the help if you ask
    x

ReputationRep:
    I just asked one of my local schools at the end of last year if I could do some work experience there. I'm just waiting for my CRB to come back, but it shows initiative. I've got an interview and an offer so far, so it works!

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position as CarlyC-H! The only experience I had was back in yr10, which universities dont really count, as it is not recent! Other than the classroom, I had a bit of experience with older children, in the Air Cadets, but nothing they really look for! I asked a local primary school to do some work experiece last year, and have now got my CRB check through, and start there on Tuesday! With this info, I have been offered an interview, so it shows that it is possible, if there is no recent experience!

ReputationRep:
    When I applied I had no experience of working within a classroom at all, but I had worked at an after school club for well over a year so I just bigged that up as much as possible and got interviews at everywhere I applied.

As long as you have SOME experience of working with children and just make it clear in interviews you are hoping or have secured some school experience soon then I am sure you'll be fine in the end.

Also prepare as much as you can for interviews so that the people that have had lots of classroom experience and have acquired lots of knowledge through this, won't leave you in the dust. Experience isn't everything anyway as you're degree will offer so much.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KABS)

Hi,
    I was accepted into Derby University in December, even though I hadn't had any experience for a couple of years (beside teaching dance) as I had been messed around by two schools (One who decided to move my placement due to Ofsted and one who i was waiting on my CRB Check).
    Also having a full time college timetable makes it almost impossible!

Most other people (especially A-Levelers) were in the same position as me, with little or no recent experience.
    This didn't affect my chances of being accepted into Derby however for the more competitive Uni's they almost definitely WILL want some recent experience.. I was rejected from both Nottingham Trent and Sheffield Hallam for this reason.

Although it may/may not affect your chances, please do get some experience before you start the course. Ive heard of many people who drop out because they weren't up for the challenge, wasting their time and yours.
    Hope ive helped, PM me if you have any questions!
    x

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.