Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im currently studying an access course part-time and have applied for uni to start in Sept 2010, to do Social Work at either Teesside, Northumbria or Sunderland.

Im a mature student (22) and so not really that clued up about uni and all the loans etc involved.

Im undecided as to whether I will live at home or in halls, does this affect the amount of money I will recieve? And do I get a grant and a loan? Is there anywhere I can find out approx. how much?

If someone could explain all this to me it'd be great, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand, you may get a grant if you do means-tested (i.e. they take into account what your parents earn), and your household income is low enough for them to decide you need extra financial help - it's not guaranteed. You can apply for two loans: a tuition fee loan, to pay your fees, and a maintenance loan, to live (i.e., food, rent, entertainment etc). The amount of your maintenance loan depends on what city you're going to (London gets more).

Edit: not sure if what I said about a grant was correct, so please someone feel free to correct me if you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    From what I understand, you may get a grant if you do means-tested (i.e. they take into account what your parents earn), and your household income is low enough for them to decide you need extra financial help - it's not guaranteed. You can apply for two loans: a tuition fee loan, to pay your fees, and a maintenance loan, to live (i.e., food, rent, entertainment etc). The amount of your maintenance loan depends on what city you're going to (London gets more).

Edit: not sure if what I said about a grant was correct, so please someone feel free to correct me if you know

what you said about grant is correct

ReputationRep:
    loan rates here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_171542

grant rates here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_174046

Working out entitlement is not as simple as adding the loan rate to the grant rate. If you get a grant your loan is reduced by about 50% of the grant you get. If you get a grant you will also be considered by your university for a further bursary grant.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.