Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

From reading the posts on this forum it appears that audit and ops are pretty much on the same level of desirability as a graduate job....which one would u choose if u had to decide between them though bearing in mind long term possibilities for FO roles?

ReputationRep:
    Both are equally bad. But personally, I'd pick Audit for the variety of work. Ops tends to pigeonhole you. A long time ago I used to temp in Ops, and it was a very good, (back then) safe and stable job. A very family friendly job. But personally, it's not something you want to do when you are in your twenties.

edit: Athough having said that, Ops will probably have better starting salary and better wage progression than Audit. You won't have to slave away for three years for ACA either.

ReputationRep:
    i would go for AUDIT. with Audit, you can move to Front Office later on in your career if you want,.

ReputationRep:
    for jokes:
    http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/investment-banking
    they divided differnt career paths into tiers...

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind the short term pay difference and exams, I advice you to get a qualification in ACA/CA while focusing on the financial services clients which gives you exposure to banks.

after qualification if you jump to the banks, you will typically be paid 50k in middle/back office roles rather than be stuck in the pay freeze like some of my friends are currently at.

Importantly no job is just "bad" and you need to look beyond just FO FO IB...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Both are equally bad. But personally, I'd pick Audit for the variety of work. Ops tends to pigeonhole you. A long time ago I used to temp in Ops, and it was a very good, (back then) safe and stable job. A very family friendly job. But personally, it's not something you want to do when you are in your twenties.

edit: Athough having said that, Ops will probably have better starting salary and better wage progression than Audit. You won't have to slave away for three years for ACA either.
    tbh I was talking to some people in ops (placement yr) and they said the work is 9-22 and usually quite fast paced which doesn't sound very family friendly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    tbh I was talking to some people in ops (placement yr) and they said the work is 9-22 and usually quite fast paced which doesn't sound very family friendly
    During height of the credit crunches there was lot of redundancies and cost cuttings that made some operations people to work late hours from 9-11. However this has largely been over and most are just running 9am to 6-7pm.

Also note auditors require lot of travelling (depending on their client) and also exam studies after work and tutorials is often necessary. There isn't really easy life until you past the qualification.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take Audit any day, once you have the ACA your salary jumps a fair bit. Not to mention that it opens more doors up, such as Equity Research, CorpFin if you're good, setting up your own Accountancy firm, and so on...

Obviously don't expect to be able to walk into Front Office with an ACA, but know that it's possible. Where I'm going to be working there's an alarming number of ACA qualified guys.

ReputationRep:
    Also many of the MDs and senior managers in Ops are ACA qualified and started out in big 4 firms.

ReputationRep:
    Audit + ACA will be slightly better in the long run, but I question the value of an ACA. So many people have one I don't think it is anything to write home about.

ReputationRep:
    ACA or CA is not walkover qualification and its good if you do it in Big4. It does open lot of doors to you after 3 years depending how good your performance has been and your relationship with certain clients (assuming you audit financial services firms).

ReputationRep:
    I would take Operations over Audit anyday personally (and I applied to both and have basically got offers from leading firms in both departments).

I think there is greater potential to do more enjoyable work in Operations than there is in Audit, and I like the people in Operations as well as the lifestyle. Though what I am looking for is probably different to you as i'm not really looking to do it as a way at getting into a FO role as that doesn't really appeal to me either.

But what I would say is working in any IB will be more useful for long term goals of getting into an FO role at an IB as you will make many more contacts who will make the process FAR easier, never underestimate how important good networking is in this industry!

ReputationRep:
    only problem with ops is that you are at the bottom of a very exciting pile and no one cares for you inside the bank. and in audit, you will be providing the core services of the company, so its more interesting. good luck with your choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    for jokes:
    http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/investment-banking
    they divided differnt career paths into tiers...
    LOL that website claims Inter-dealer broking is BO!

Joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    ACA or CA is not walkover qualification and its good if you do it in Big4. It does open lot of doors to you after 3 years depending how good your performance has been and your relationship with certain clients (assuming you audit financial services firms).
    The problem is that they hire thousands of graduates. So competition from accountants wanting to break into IB is insane. Because so many people have the ACA I can't see how it is that worthwhile for people wanting to make the switch. I would of thought broking/prop trading + maybe a CFA would be some what of a better idea. That would give you alot more to talk about in an interview thats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damarus)
    The problem is that they hire thousands of graduates. So competition from accountants wanting to break into IB is insane. Because so many people have the ACA I can't see how it is that worthwhile for people wanting to make the switch. I would of thought broking/prop trading + maybe a CFA would be some what of a better idea. That would give you alot more to talk about in an interview thats for sure.
    depending on what division in a bank you wish to enter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    depending on what division in a bank you wish to enter...
    The assumption was FO. Either way going into Audit with aspirations of banking isn't a sensible idea in any circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    The assumption was FO. Either way going into Audit with aspirations of banking isn't a sensible idea in any circumstances.
    i dont think broking/prop trading + CFA would be useful for M&A...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    i dont think broking/prop trading + CFA would be useful for M&A...
    It would stand out way more than Big 4 audit ACA, and will be held in a much higher regard. Unless you work in the CF department at KPMG London that is. Thats the only accountancy firm with a relatively decent CF arm. The rest are ****.

ReputationRep:
    It would stand out way more than Big 4 audit ACA, and will be held in a much higher regard. Unless you work in the CF department at KPMG London that is. Thats the only accountancy firm with a relatively decent CF arm. The rest are ****.
    Rest are ****? hmmm I see your one of those elitists.

I am only suggesting the route he could go for and that it does open the doors for the person to banking if he performs well it is an alternative route. Now the OP is comparing Operations vs Audit. A good ACA is relevant for FO roles that require financial analysis.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.