Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay :))
    So an EXTRA 12?

I mean, would the activities be other than what I currently do - so an extra 3 hours on top of everything?
    Thank you so much!
    What?

They don't need to be, no.
    And you can do them all at the same time, otherwise how would people ever get it done in a year?

Arr thank you so much!
    Really, what you thinking?
    You doing A-Levels?
    I'm on a gap year, so I have plenty of time... I've done volunteering for the past 4 years now (different organisations), so I don't know if I want to do more volunteering tbh :p: Though if it is necessary, I'll just do it.
    For the physical skills, I was thinking of joining a fitness class & start horse-riding (if they have stables near where I live) or ice-skating.
    Life skills, I don't know, I'd have to think about that
    What about you?

(Original post by infernalcradle)
    it is possible, however it would be hard to go straight to gold, simply due to the expedition part....but not if you are physically fit
    Why? Is it better to do silver and then a gold?

ReputationRep:
    Oh really!
    That's so good, when you have to complete these sections - would I have to just do one event or several to satisfy the 'box', so to speak,
    or really! What a poo. (N)
    Well you need one "event" for each section and you cannot use the same event for both skill and service, for exampls. You are allowed to change the thing you do for a section if you have a good enough reason. For example, my physical activity was cricket but it's only possible to play that for 6 months or so a year, so I picked up running for the next 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Why? Is it better to do silver and then a gold?
    not really, it is simply the fact that the expedition is faily hard...so you'd need to be relatively fit....you could do silver first if you wanted to, but only as a taster of what gold will be like

ReputationRep:
    Easy to do during a levels so as your stupid leader doesnt decide to the final expedition during your exams

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind :o:
    not at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    It's actually an incredibly easy award. You should be able to piece together a Skill, Service and Sport from what you already do, leaving only the Expeditions (which I hate, but they're only a few days each plus training). The time constraints are tiny. I'm able to fit it in quite easily alongside my academic and musical commitments.

Oh that's really really good then!
    How many hours a week do you train for the expe''?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dispicable)
    Easy to do during a levels so as your stupid leader doesnt decide to the final expedition during your exams
    HAHA i know!
    I heard this year it is.. how bad :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n_251)
    Well you need one "event" for each section and you cannot use the same event for both skill and service, for exampls. You are allowed to change the thing you do for a section if you have a good enough reason. For example, my physical activity was cricket but it's only possible to play that for 6 months or so a year, so I picked up running for the next 6 months.
    Yerhh that is very very true - does it have to be like an hour consistently or like a 2 day course in horseriding instead of riding every saturday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    What?

They don't need to be, no.
    And you can do them all at the same time, otherwise how would people ever get it done in a year?
    HAHA makes MUCH more sense now!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can go from nothing to Gold. You can skip bronze and go to SIlver but I never heard of skipping bronze and silver.

And if you ever do that, it would be at least 24 months (if you skip silver and bronze) to do Gold. And the expedition isn't easy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year, so I have plenty of time... I've done volunteering for the past 4 years now (different organisations), so I don't know if I want to do more volunteering tbh :p: Though if it is necessary, I'll just do it.
    For the physical skills, I was thinking of joining a fitness class & start horse-riding (if they have stables near where I live) or ice-skating.
    Life skills, I don't know, I'd have to think about that
    What about you?
    Arr that is so good!
    What would you like to study & where? haha 99questions
    & Your volunteering can count you know!
    Are you on silver? Or just volunteering to benefit you future ambitions?

Yerrhh that sounds really good for the physical, I was thinking to help out with drama/dance
    Horse riding and ice skating is really nice!

It's good if like you said: have time, I would want to do it within my school grounds in one of my free's maybe, so that I can fix it all in with the studies

Yerr, because I do so much, it's nice to get it recognised you know!
    And challenge yourself more
    So I just want to start ASAP!

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    I don't think you can go from nothing to Gold. You can skip bronze and go to SIlver but I never heard of skipping bronze and silver.

And if you ever do that, it would be at least 24 months (if you skip silver and bronze) to do Gold. And the expedition isn't easy.
    Yes you can
    & the expedition is fine, as I used to go Army Cadets - which was harder!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can
    & the expedition is fine, as I used to go Army Cadets - which was harder!
    I've done my Gold DOE and can probably handle Army Cadets.

Have you skipped bronze and silver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    I've done my Gold DOE and can probably handle Army Cadets.

Have you skipped bronze and silver?
    Yes excatly - they are similiar, but Army Cadets is on a different scale.

I want to yerhh

ReputationRep:
    Yes excatly - they are similiar, but Army Cadets is on a different scale.

I want to yerhh
    Where does it say you can skip bronze and silver and only have to do 18 mths?

ReputationRep:
    On the website - it's called being a 'direct applicant'

ReputationRep:
    For direct entry into the Gold award you will need to complete an extra 6 months in either the service or the longer of the skills/physical.
    Normally you have to do 12 months service, and then 12 months of skills/ physical and 6 months of skills physical. You have to do at least an hour of each a week.

ReputationRep:
    OK, simply put:
    You will be a direct entrant and as a direct entrant the requirements for you would be as follows:
    -12 months Volunteering
    -12 months in either the Physical or Skills section with the other section only 6 months.
    -HOWEVER, you must do an additional 6 months on one of your sections, the additional 6 months must be on a section that is already twelve months(ie one of your sections must be done for 18 months)
    -You must complete a practice expedition and an assessed expedition
    -You must do a residential course

If you are already doing something which fits into these sections(which it sounds like you are) then there won't be too much extra to jam into your schedule. You can also backdate your log book to when you first started doing the activity, as long as you were the required age when you started.

As a direct entrant you will probably also have to do some kind of navigational and camp skills course to make sure it's up to scratch.

The work for your sections must be a minimum of an hour a week, though it can be more(ie you should be doing 3hrs work a week towards your award, not including training for the exped, though this could count towards your physical)

All the information is rather simply laid out here:
    http://www.dofe.org/go/Gold/

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.