Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    For direct entry into the Gold award you will need to complete an extra 6 months in either the service or the longer of the skills/physical.
    Normally you have to do 12 months service, and then 12 months of skills/ physical and 6 months of skills physical. You have to do at least an hour of each a week.
    Yerss, I'll be doing two for 12months and one for 6 thats all,
    and yess I do the skils and service already!
    So that works well...
    So I would probably do practical like helping in Dance/Drama for only 6months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay :))
    Yerss, I'll be doing two for 12months and one for 6 thats all,
    and yess I do the skils and service already!
    So that works well...
    So I would probably do practical like helping in Dance/Drama for only 6months
    mmm yeah but because your a direct entrant you will have to do an extra 6 months for one of the longer sections... so you will end up doing 18 months for one section. hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhoadissimus)
    OK, simply put:
    You will be a direct entrant and as a direct entrant the requirements for you would be as follows:
    -12 months Volunteering
    -12 months in either the Physical or Skills section with the other section only 6 months.
    -HOWEVER, you must do an additional 6 months on one of your sections, the additional 6 months must be on a section that is already twelve months(ie one of your sections must be done for 18 months)
    -You must complete a practice expedition and an assessed expedition
    -You must do a residential course

If you are already doing something which fits into these sections(which it sounds like you are) then there won't be too much extra to jam into your schedule. You can also backdate your log book to when you first started doing the activity, as long as you were the required age when you started.

As a direct entrant you will probably also have to do some kind of navigational and camp skills course to make sure it's up to scratch.

The work for your sections must be a minimum of an hour a week, though it can be more(ie you should be doing 3hrs work a week towards your award, not including training for the exped, though this could count towards your physical)

All the information is rather simply laid out here:
    http://www.dofe.org/go/Gold/
    Ohmygoodness.
    Are you a star that has just fell out of the sky?

That was really helpful!
    That is fine then, a year and 8months, which some of my things I am doing now are regualar i.e- meetings etc...

And the map and compass - I used to go to the Army Cadets so could I put that as my training? But I was not 16, so I'll probably have to do it again yess...

That's fine! As I do more then 3hours a week, which is fab!

So it'll be fine then?

Oh and really!!
    So I could just train instead then, and that would be the physical sorted!
    When would I be required to do this?
    I would do this one for 6months...

Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    mmm yeah but because your a direct entrant you will have to do an extra 6 months for one of the longer sections... so you will end up doing 18 months for one section. hope that makes sense
    Oh yess!
    I just saw this in another comment...
    Thank you!
    I understand, this is fine as the things that I am doing as in specifically with organisations are long term, as I applied through an application process etc, so that would be contant

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don;t you have to do like bronze first, then silver and then Gold?

Im currently doing bronze and have to say Expedition is the best man!!! Its fun but it really requires stamina and you being fit otherwise you'll suffer badly lol. Anyway, Gold award will be really challenging and another group i met who were doing silver said the Expedition is too hard and all then ights you stay away from your family and just in a tent. Thats someone doing silver told me that!

Anyways, i hope i was a help lol, which i doubt i was.

Regards,Kmaster

ReputationRep:
    Iv done my bronze and my silver .... I cant even read a map lol.

I think i passed in personality and team work.

Saying this, i think you will be fine and it looks great on your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kmaster)

Im currently doing bronze and have to say Expedition is the best man!!! Its fun but it really requires stamina and you being fit otherwise you'll suffer badly lol. Anyway, Gold award will be really challenging and another group i met who were doing silver said the Expedition is too hard and all then ights you stay away from your family and just in a tent. Thats someone doing silver told me that!

Regards,Kmaster
    Arr no its fine!
    Ofcourse you was of help
    That's really good!..you enjoying it?
    And yes you can
    But just have to do more time

Yess I know, as I've mentioned before which I am not fully aware if you know, but I used to go to the Army Cadets - which links very well in here: and spent 2weeks away from my parents!
    Haha, so you get the 'g'ist!

ReputationRep:

Regards,Kmaster
    You can enter directly into any of them, but silver and gold are longer if you haven't done the preceding one.

And, the expeditions aren't too arduous really, especially not if you choose to do an exploration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAA!)
    Iv done my bronze and my silver .... I cant even read a map lol.

I think i passed in personality and team work.

Saying this, i think you will be fine and it looks great on your personal statement.

HAHA that's still good!
    How do they test you?

Yes

ReputationRep:
    In Gold Award and Silver Award do youdo like Kayaking and stuff for expedition and Exploration?

I remember reading/seeing this somewhere. lol

Regards,Kmaster

ReputationRep:

Regards,Kmaster
    Really?! I am probably one of the least fiit people you will ever find and i had no problem! it was just a laugh with a load of mates really!
    although i imagine gold would be really difficult.. so much longer!

ReputationRep:
    In Gold Award and Silver Award do youdo like Kayaking and stuff for expedition and Exploration?

I remember reading/seeing this somewhere. lol

Regards,Kmaster
    I didn't.
    I believe you can do the expeditions like that, or on horseback or bikes or stuff(might be some conditions, I never looked at it).

ReputationRep:
    I meant like Fat, really fat lol. Because there were few people ok Two and they were like out of breath straight away when we started. I've not got anything against Fat people but i'm just saying. We had to wait for them everytime because they kept stopping and had to be in a group all the time. I have to agree with you their about the fact that it was fun and loads of laughs and stuff. I would do it again lol. Where we went was proper hilly and big hills etc and hit is was raining like mad, when i say mad tents blowing away well (Falling down) and Water coming in the tent. lol

ReputationRep:
    HAHA that's still good!
    How do they test you?

Yes
    I can even remember being tested. I was in charge of food and a balanced diet. I just followed the rest of the group with the walking.
    We walked though a massive car boot sale because we all wanted an ice cream from the ice cream van.....MEMORIES

It was a wicked experience though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAA!)
    I can even remember being tested. I was in charge of food and a balanced diet. I just followed the rest of the group with the walking.
    We walked though a massive car boot sale because we all wanted an ice cream from the ice cream van.....MEMORIES

It was a wicked experience though.
    HAHA you joker!
    So how did the assess you!?

ReputationRep:
    Ohmygoodness.
    Are you a star that has just fell out of the sky?

That was really helpful!
    That is fine then, a year and 8months, which some of my things I am doing now are regualar i.e- meetings etc...

And the map and compass - I used to go to the Army Cadets so could I put that as my training? But I was not 16, so I'll probably have to do it again yess...

That's fine! As I do more then 3hours a week, which is fab!

So it'll be fine then?

Oh and really!!
    So I could just train instead then, and that would be the physical sorted!
    When would I be required to do this?
    I would do this one for 6months...

Thank you again!
    You won't have to do the training again as long as you can show that you have some level of competency outdoors.

There is no specific timetable for you to do your Gold in but most people do it so that the entire award is finished by the time their 18month section is up. And yes, it'll be fine as long as the things you are already doing count under the different sections(look on the website fr details) and you have someone that can sign off your log book.

ReputationRep:
    You won't have to do the training again as long as you can show that you have some level of competency outdoors.

There is no specific timetable for you to do your Gold in but most people do it so that the entire award is finished by the time their 18month section is up. And yes, it'll be fine as long as the things you are already doing count under the different sections(look on the website fr details) and you have someone that can sign off your log book.
    Oh I see, and does it have to be the army cadet people that sign in?
    So if I start nowm id be finished mid first year uni?
    And the certificat comes after 36months - that's 3 years :| wow wow wow? & it hasss to be for that long!

ReputationRep:

Im reaally confused...
    so the whole thing will be 18 months?

wouldnt it be 12...if I did 12 + 12 and extra 6 which would be 12 all on one year?

Oh no i get it now
    I can do all in 1 year and carry on on to extra 6months fab!

ReputationRep:
    Yerhh that is very very true - does it have to be like an hour consistently or like a 2 day course in horseriding instead of riding every saturday?
    it's meant to be at least an hour a week for each of the sections; of course every now and then you may do an hour more or less or miss a week altogether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n_251)
    it's meant to be at least an hour a week for each of the sections; of course every now and then you may do an hour more or less or miss a week altogether
    Yess, it makes alllot of sense now!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.