Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I was wondering which qualification universities prefer for studying medicine. Would it look better to have a Cambridge-Pre U or A-level in chemistry or biology?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make any difference but the Cambridge Pre-U is reputed to be harder. There are also sub-sets of the highest grade (Distinction), making it obvious whether you got the equivalent of a high, middle or low A.

ReputationRep:
    Pre-U sounds like more fun.

But unis don't care at all. If they did, they would be discriminating against all those schools/colleges that don't offer Pre-U. Which are the vast majority.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a mixture. Bio,chem,maths and geog A levels and then Pre U Global perspectives .
    Very fun.... and only 10 people in the school got to do it.

You also do a 1500 word essay for AS year and a big independent study for the A2 year as well as an exam and presentation and it can be on any subject , which could be good to discuss at interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and the distinction grades are equal to:

>A* = D1
    A* = D2
    A = D3

B = M1

and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just go for A Levels, since they're more common. You'll see in prospectuses, medschools talk in terms of A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    It won't make a difference to your application -- academia is always a tick-box thing, you've either met the grades, and so your application will be 'considered', or you haven't, and so it won't be 'considered'. I was an IB student and there probably wasn't any discrimination either for or against me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofingers)
    It won't make a difference to your application -- academia is always a tick-box thing, you've either met the grades, and so your application will be 'considered', or you haven't, and so it won't be 'considered'. I was an IB student and there probably wasn't any discrimination either for or against me.
    Depends on the university surely. I've seen several that operate scoring systems for your academia, certainly not a case of just "meeting minimum requirements".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Depends on the university surely. I've seen several that operate scoring systems for your academia, certainly not a case of just "meeting minimum requirements".
    True, but it must be said that scoring is certainly independent of the type of exam (Pre-U/IB/A-level), and my point was that there is always a glass ceiling where academia is no longer relevant (e.g. AAAA vs. AAA).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Well, considering your point, it would make sense to distinguish applicants on the basis of UMS. However considering many universities - the vast majority, do not consider UMS points, but ask for an overall grade; compounded by the fact that most places have their own admissions tests, it does lead to a suggestion that the powers who might be reading applications don't much care for present qualifications anyway - in which case whether you achieve a low or a high A in a devalued system is a moot point.

Edit: SPAG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Well, considering your point, it would make sense to distinguish applicants on the basis of UMS. However considering many universities - the vast majority, do not consider UMS points, but ask for an overall grade; compounded by the fact that most places have their own admissions tests, it does lead to a suggestion that the powers who might be reading applications don't much care for present qualifications anyway - in which case whether you achieve a low or a high A in a devalued system is a moot point.

Edit: SPAG.
    I meant that whilst AAB is minimum for some places, being predicting AAA may look better. And whilst some places just require GCSE passes, having a string of A*s looks better. (At some universities.)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.