Turn on thread page Beta

UK teens are the "worst" in Europe. But why? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just reading a recent report on the levels of drug usage, pregnancy, violence and STI's amongst our youth nowdays and came across similar articles stretching back years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6108302.stm

On every indicator of bad behaviour - drugs, drink, violence, promiscuity - the UK was at or near the top, said the Institute for Public Policy Research.
    This is the next generation of people in this country. What could account for their decadent behaviour? Is it our society that has influenced them to this degree, or is the question of how they as adults will influence our future societies based on how they grew up?

ReputationRep:
    Probably something to do with the whole 'put fake tan on, go on a night out get smashed with drink and drugs, shag one person after the other and hopefully get pregnant so I can get my own council flat and weekly benefit monies' thing.

Culturally it's pretty bad here within the youth and to be honest most just have the low class behaviour. (not class as in the money class).

ReputationRep:
    It's the culture of this country nowadays.

It's partly due to our government being so pussy and having a policy of 'be nice to everyone'.

This lack of authority works it's way down to kids who don't get caught by the police as the police will be put in prison for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    we enjoy ourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    It's the culture of this country nowadays.

It's partly due to our government being so pussy and having a policy of 'be nice to everyone'.

This lack of authority works it's way down to kids who don't get caught by the police as the police will be put in prison for doing so.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Just reading a recent report on the levels of drug usage, pregnancy, violence and STI's amongst our youth nowdays and came across similar articles stretching back years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6108302.stm

This is the next generation of people in this country. What could account for their decadent behaviour? Is it our society that has influenced them to this degree, or is the question of how they as adults will influence our future societies based on how they grew up?
    You seem to have misread the title of the article. It doesn't say we're the worse, it says we are 'among worst in Europe'.

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't prove anything to me.

ReputationRep:
    the weather is **** and the only thing ppl do for fun is drinl and do drugs whereas in hot countries theres more tings to do u dont need to get high to get laid and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually give a rat's fart about some comparison that was done nearly four years ago.

I'm surprised at the BBC. These crappy surveys and indices are usually snapped up by Richard Littlejohn and company.

ReputationRep:
    Moan, moan, moan, and complain. That's all the older generations can say about young people isn't it? Ah well, they'll be dead soon. I'd probably get my fair share of complaining in if I knew death was nearing my door too.

ReputationRep:
    we fail epicly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAURA459)
    This doesn't prove anything to me.
    Maybe you should read the OP in which I quote a paragraph in that article as we are either at the top or near the top of the worst. And even if we were only amongst the worst, how would that lessen the point here? I don't know about you but I wouldn't want my country associated with the trash in the continent.

These facts may not prove anything to you however they are at the least suggestive of a wide problem with this generation.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    I don't actually give a rat's fart about some comparison that was done nearly four years ago.

I'm surprised at the BBC. These crappy surveys and indices are usually snapped up by Richard Littlejohn and company.
    These were not done four years ago. As I said in the OP, discussions of this subject have been common throughout the years. It is telling that there are similar articles published four years ago as those published only weeks ago. We have consistently been classed as one of the worst, if not the worst in some categories, in comparison to our European counter-parts

ReputationRep:
    Its because nowadays there's no stigma attached to teen pregnancy and underage sex and we have a really boozey culture where there is a want, almost a pressure to start getting drunk from a young age. Our society is far too liberal. You can't even have a moral opinion anymore without someone banging on about how its 'their choice' blah blah blahhh. I'm sure if it was the taxpayers choice, they'd choose not to pay for the NHS to fund 15 year old pissheads having to go to hospital cos they drank wayyy too much, and have it go to more research for Alzeihmers or cancer. Or to pay for a council house for a teenage mum who has no intention of getting a job. It is lack of decent parenting and a strong familt unit and lack of morals.

ReputationRep:
    Because we take everything for granted!

ReputationRep:
    World of Warcraft.

ReputationRep:
    tbh i'd say the proportion of under 20s with a child is lower now than it was 40-50 years ago...

The idea that age has replaced class was discussed in that BBC documentary on the Noughties which was on a week or two ago.

(Original post by Playboy King)
    Probably something to do with the whole 'put fake tan on, go on a night out get smashed with drink and drugs, shag one person after the other and hopefully get pregnant so I can get my own council flat and weekly benefit monies' thing.

Culturally it's pretty bad here within the youth and to be honest most just have the low class behaviour. (not class as in the money class).
    Take the babys, the council flats, the chavs and the STIs but not our ****s away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    :ditto:

Thank you for making me laugh for 5 minutes straight (your sig).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    Thank you for making me laugh for 5 minutes straight (your sig).
    if it made you laugh then its served its purpose..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.