Turn on thread page Beta

Guy friend might be interested?! watch

I think my main male (I'm female) might be interested in me. He's recently got kind of clingy and never stops ringing/texting/facebook messaging/status commenting/msn messaging me, even if I don't respond and right now it's really annoying me. Also recently he's become quite flirtatious...

Problem being, I'm not interested at all. I love him as a friend and if he ever admits to liking me, I'll be mortified and feel really guilty for rejecting him. How can I get him to back off a bit? I don't want to out right tell him to back off either, I hate being harsh to people.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell it to him straight, its all you really can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veldrin)
    Just tell it to him straight, its all you really can do.
    Yeah this is what you should do I've like girls who I've been friends with and I got frustrated the way they acted when I showed some interest in wanting more because they just begun to ignore me and call me behind my back, the best option is just tell the guy it may hurt him at first but he'l get over it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to tell him.

Look for advice on other guys you like. Be really obvious about how much you like the other guys. Use names or specific enough detail so that there's no way he can interpret it as you talking about him in a third person kind of way.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well..........there no easy way of doing this.

At the risk of looking like a *******, tell him that you are not interested in him as anything more than a friend, as you have been noticing vibes from him.

Blunt but it will work, do it now before it gets any further.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    If you don't want to tell him.

Look for advice on other guys you like. Be really obvious about how much you like the other guys. Use names or specific enough detail so that there's no way he can interpret it as you talking about him in a third person kind of way.
    This wont work, it needs to be blunt.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you need to tell him, you don't need to be too blunt - just make it clear enough that you are not interested. Not telling him would actually be very cowardly and selfish on your part. He's going to have to get the message one day, so you'll save him a lot of hurt by telling him as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't surprising. I posted a thread one month ago about friendship between men and women and how for a man it is impossible to be just friend with a woman he's close to because the sexual desire is always present, somewhere in the brain...

You can see a nice article about this through the following link:

http://xenlogic.wordpress.com/2007/1...n-for-dummies/

ReputationRep:
    Why bring it up, if he doesn't explicitly bring it up?
    The OP will look arrogant saying out of the blue "look I dont want anything more than friends..."

Just don't flirt back, let any kind of flirting from him die, with no feedback. If he asks you the direct question give him the direct answer, but otherwise just don't lead him on, he will get the hint in the end even if it takes a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    This wont work, it needs to be blunt.
    Works on me...

ReputationRep:
    You; Have you ever thought of us two being together
    Him; Yeah, maybe...
    You; Disgusting isn't it?
    Him; Yeah, I guess.... *heart breaks*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    well..........there no easy way of doing this.

At the risk of looking like a *******, tell him that you are not interested in him as anything more than a friend, as you have been noticing vibes from him.

Blunt but it will work, do it now before it gets any further.
    " He thinks I'm an exceptional *ow* person!"
    :awesome:

Oh and OP I agree with this. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Just have sex with him. Just sayin'...

ReputationRep:
    Say you think you might be gay? Lying is always the best policy right?

Or

Do as vas suggested.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.