Turn on thread page Beta

This will make you feel insignificant... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhuTom)
    Is it bad I got to like 1:00 on that and felt scared to go any further?
    Lol, even the music creeps me out a little :woo:

ReputationRep:
    this stuff is so interesting. it pains me to know I know jack ****

ReputationRep:
    I feel so upset I think I will water board myself in the hope I die or get banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    Lol, even the music creeps me out a little :woo:

Haha that's it. The creepy strings that come in every time the star got bigger! :woo: :woo:

(Original post by Broderss)
    I feel so upset I think I will water board myself in the hope I die or get banned.
    Your 3 points away, give us a personal insult and you will be there .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Your 3 points away, give us a personal insult and you will be there .
    lol.

Apparently it's against the rules to speak in a foreign language without full translation to English, even if the language was made up (it was just random letters) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make me feel insignifikant. It makes me smoulder a bit with pride and gratitude that I hef a place in this great big awe-inspiring thing.

ReputationRep:
    light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference, compared to 14.5 seconds for the sun. It would take over 7,000,000,000,000,000 (7×10^15 or 7 quadrillion) Earths to fill the volume of VY Canis Majoris.

ReputationRep:
    The tremendous size involved is not what makes me feel insignificant, instead it is the fact that we as a race have very little knowledge about the universe.

(Original post by Fynch101)
    this is a bit silly really
    it doesn't matter how big it is
    can it make a supercomputer? no.
    /thread
    I agree, what does scale matter? In my opinion, any living organism is more significant than anything non-living no matter how huge. If there's no other life in the universe (highly unlikely in my opinion, there are probably millions+ planets wit life, but if) then it's the rest of the universe that's completely insignificant.

That said... there are 6 billion of us so... we're pretty insignificant as individuals anyway. Hah. Althooough... if you take ALL living creatures including every little insect etc. into account, we're all probably within the 0.0000000000000001% of most significant entities on earth. hooray!

(Original post by Bhumbauze)
    I agree, what does scale matter? In my opinion, any living organism is more significant than anything non-living no matter how huge. If there's no other life in the universe (highly unlikely in my opinion, there are probably millions+ planets wit life, but if) then it's the rest of the universe that's completely insignificant.

That said... there are 6 billion of us so... we're pretty insignificant as individuals anyway. Hah. Althooough... if you take ALL living creatures including every little insect etc. into account, we're all probably within the 0.0000000000000001% of most significant entities on earth. hooray!
    Because we hold no power.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have no romance in their soul. What can you do?

ReputationRep:
    Because we hold no power.
    well that is just plain wrong
    we have more power than anything we know of in the universe, besides a black hole and a supernova, and even then its just circumstantial.

well that is just plain wrong
    we have more power than anything we know of in the universe, besides a black hole and a supernova, and even then its just circumstantial.
    No are you on crack?

Any kind of explosion/collision would kill us.

(Original post by modini)
    This video will give you a very good idea of size comparison. This will truely shock you.

Ahaha, I have such an ego... I got to the end of that video... and a voice in my head just said "**** you, yes I am."

ReputationRep:
    Orange giant :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    this is a bit silly really
    it doesn't matter how big it is
    can it make a supercomputer? no.
    /thread
    According to Wolfram and the field of digital physics, it is a supercomputer.

ReputationRep:
    No?

Any kind of explosion/collision would kill us.
    what kind of explosion is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whentherobinmakeshisnest)
    According to Wolfram and the field of digital physics, it is a supercomputer.
    what?

what kind of explosion is this?
    Any kind of explosion from the sun.

And any close star going into a super nova.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.