Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ive decided i would like to join the RAF but im worried my medical condition will prevent me. when i was born i was diagnosed with horseshoe kidneys. i have never had a problem with them or been prone to infections. i was also accepted into the territoral army with no problems with a note from my GP, however this was 2 years ago. i have looked on all the joining requirements but nothing is clear. i have been told by the careers advisors i cannot attend a meeting with a AFCO until the job i want becomes available for recruitment.
    would anyone be able to give me some advise?

ReputationRep:
    You could try just going into your local AFCO and explain your situation and they might be able to give you an answer. No point waiting around for a branch/trade to open if you're not going to be able to join.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/health.cfm

Your application would be rejected if:

you suffer from Crohn’s disease, colitis or kidney disorders

ReputationRep:
    hi
    thought id give an update on how i got on at the AFCO.
    explained to the careers people my medical condition saying it had never prevented me from doing anything in the past, i have never been on medication and id even been accepted into the TA. the cpl was unsure so phoned the medical base who confirmed they couldnt see any problem in me applying. so thankfully i am now concerntrating solely on my fitness.
    thanks for your advice in going down the afco.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear, and good luck with the rest of your application!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.