Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just need quick help with two question.

1) I=(integrate)
    Ixsquareroot(3x-1) dx using substitution u=3x-1

Now I tried doing it by differentiating u with respect to x to give 3 but then it becomes jumbled up near the end. And when i checked the mark scheme i see they just rearranged u in terms of x and then differentiated x with respect to u. So my question is when do you know when to do this?

2)a) describe the 2 geometrical that maps the graph of y=x^2 onto the graph of y=4x^2 -5
    I can do the translation part but when I did the enlargment part (stretch) I got it as stretch parallel to x-axis with scale factor of 1/4 but its wrong :confused: .

b&c) solve the equation (modulus) of 4x^2 -5 so ([4x^2 -5] where []=modulus). Then hence solve the inequality [4x^2 -5]>(or equal to) 4.

p.s. sory about it not being in latex form I tried to put in there but when i clicked preview it showed up as messed up.

ReputationRep:
    for 1) let u^2 = 3x - 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    for 1) let u^2 = 3x - 1
    They tell you to use u=3x-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewait)
    They tell you to use u=3x-1
    oh ok.. it's been a long time :p:

ReputationRep:
    oh ok.. it's been a long time :p:
    A long day as well I take it? As i put that in my 1st post aswell :p:
    Thanks for trying to help tho.

ReputationRep:
    Just need quick help with two question.

1) I=(integrate)
    Ixsquareroot(3x-1) dx using substitution u=3x-1

Now I tried doing it by differentiating u with respect to x to give 3 but then it becomes jumbled up near the end. And when i checked the mark scheme i see they just rearranged u in terms of x and then differentiated x with respect to u. So my question is when do you know when to do this?

2)a) describe the 2 geometrical that maps the graph of y=x^2 onto the graph of y=4x^2 -5
    I can do the translation part but when I did the enlargment part (stretch) I got it as stretch parallel to x-axis with scale factor of 1/4 but its wrong :confused: .

b&c) solve the equation (modulus) of 4x^2 -5 so ([4x^2 -5] where []=modulus). Then hence solve the inequality [4x^2 -5]>(or equal to) 4.

p.s. sory about it not being in latex form I tried to put in there but when i clicked preview it showed up as messed up.
    whats the answer?? - if it matches mine, ill post my solution, otherwise ill save my grace

ReputationRep:
    ooh I was right.. ok here we go!!

firstly differentiate to get du/dx = 3 so dx = du/3

so u then have I of (u^1/2)/3 du which is 2/9u^3/2 - substitute back for you and that is the right answer!! I'm quite proud of that, haven't done any maths in ages....

ReputationRep:
    whats the answer?? - if it matches mine, ill post my solution, otherwise ill save my grace
    Actually my answer was right, they just factorised more than I did.

If you're still interested answer was: 2/45 (3x-1)^5/2 + 2/27 (3x-1)^3/2 + c

ReputationRep:
    couldnt quite get latex to work though... sorry not really being helpfull just amusing myself with a bit of maths..

ReputationRep:
    couldnt quite get latex to work though... sorry not really being helpfull just amusing myself with a bit of maths..
    Its cool at least you tried thanks. Any chance of help with 2)?

ReputationRep:
    Its cool at least you tried thanks. Any chance of help with 2)?
    your going to have to wait till the maths geeks wake up im afraid.. it's been too long for me to remember that I'm ashamed to say.. - if you ever need bio or chem help though I'm your man

ReputationRep:
    let f(x) = x^2 so f(4x)=4x^2 and f(4x)-5 = 4x^2 -5 i believe thats a stretch in the y direction and a shift of the entire graph 5 spaces down in y direction

ReputationRep:
    Aqa?

ReputationRep:
    I=\int{\sqrt{(3x-1)}}dx
    Let u = 3x - 1
    Then \frac{du}{dx}=3
    Or du=3dx
    Take I to be:
    I=\frac{1}{3} \int3{ \sqrt{(3x-1)}}dx
    Substututing u=3x-1 we now have:
    I=\frac{1}{3} \int {u^{0.5}}du

Now you can happily do the integration.

As for the transformation:

It is described by a stretch parallel to the y-axis by a scale factor of 4 and a shift of 5 in the negative y-direction.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Is the integral \displaystyle \int \sqrt{3x-1}\, \mbox{d}x or \displaystyle \int x\sqrt{3x-1}\, \mbox{d}x. Either way, you need to do more or less what tgodkin said above. If it's the latter, notice that if u = 3x-1 then x = \dfrac{1}{3}(u+1), and so after you make the substitution you'll get \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3}\int (u+1)\sqrt{u} \times \dfrac{1}{3}\, \mbox{d}u -- just expand the brackets and integrate.

For 2a the reason it's wrong is because a stretch of factor 1/4 in the x-direction would be in the form f(4x), however that would give 16x^2 rather than 4x^2. Instead you can either see it as a stretch of factor 1/2 in the x-direction (so you're squaring 2 to give 4), or a stretch of factor 4 in the y-direction. Either way it makes no difference to the geometry of the graph.

For 2b I think you've copied out the question wrong. You can't "solve |4x²-5|", since there's nothing to solve... your answer to part (b) will, I imagine, help in part (c).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgodkin)
    Take I to be:
    I=\frac{1}{3} \int3{ \sqrt{(3x-1)}}dx
    Substututing u=3x-1 we now have:
    I=\frac{1}{3} \int {u^{0.5}}du
    What happened to the 3? shouldnt it be :

I=3 \int {u^{0.5}}du ?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    What happened to the 3? shouldnt it be :

I=3 \int {u^{0.5}}du ?

Thanks!
    Because du = 3dx the 3 is swapped out with dx for du.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgodkin)
    Because du = 3dx the 3 is swapped out with dx for du.
    Agreed

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.