Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if you found out that the method for immortality would start being used when you died watch

ReputationRep:
    would you still want it to be developed?

ReputationRep:
    why not.

although a load of immortal people roaming around would cause an awful lot of problems.

ReputationRep:
    if you and someone else got hit by a car on the same day, and one of you had to die, the other would lose all their past memories, would it still be in your interests to be the one who survived? without your memories of your past self, would it make a difference to you that it was you existing, and not the other one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    if you and someone else got hit by a car on the same day, and one of you had to die, the other would lose all their past memories, would it still be in your interests to be the one who survived? without your memories of your past self, would it make a difference to you that it was you existing, and not the other one?
    :beard:

Interesting...

I'd still want to be the one that lives, simply because I'm awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Immortality is physically impossible. I mean there's just certain forms of death you can't prevent against or cure. What if you get sucked into a blackhole for example?

But pretending it is possible for a minute, my opinion on immortality wouldn't change based on that situation. Developing it would be a very bad thing for the planet, can you imagine what the world population would be in 200 years time if no one died and everyone kept spitting out babies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Immortality is physically impossible. I mean there's just certain forms of death you can't prevent against or cure. What if you get sucked into a blackhole for example?
    I dunno - I reckon spending the rest of your life as a infinite mass with no volume would be pretty exciting.

ReputationRep:
    I've wondered about a more realistic scenario before - what if they developed a way to live longer (say twice as long as we live now) but you had to have an injection or something when you were a baby, so all children and adults around at the time wouldn't be able to have the longer life expectancy. Would you be annoyed?

I think it would bother me and the people with the longer lives would get a lot of flack off older people in 20 years time (for things like smoking/drugs shortening they're life when they have an opportunity billions of people wish they had).

ReputationRep:
    I would actively prevent and oppose any method for immortality being developed regardless of my own circumstances. Why do people seem to think that immortality is something we should aspire to? The only way immortality would not result in huge disaster is if it was coupled with infertility, and let's face it, who would want a world like that?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd sabotage it and laugh like a maniac at everyone's disappointment.

I don't want to be immortal myself, but I'll be damned if I let other people have the opportunity and not me.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.